Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure of that but one think I can tell you if you are obsessive you can spend almost 30minutes trying to park in perfect alignment in that parking space - it is fun.
Obviously their vision approach doesn’t always work well, wipers for instance. Others it does work out reasonably well but also can take years to get there.

I don’t miss radar and the lack of USS seems much less of an issue at this point.

Yes that’s a big positive for me but also agree I can’t upgrade to a slower car.
There was a lot of rumours it would get a new battery maybe a year+ ago. Could be that was all rubbish but might be that was the plan but just wasn't ready so rather than delay the car even more, they shipped it.

It's still a good package I'm sure but a new battery would really unlock it. Think the batteries they need for this already exist but maybe just not in the volume Tesla might have wanted.

I'm curious if Juniper will release with the same battery or that'll get something new. Could be wrong but my gut tells me cannot be too far out. They do well on range tests due to efficiency but as battery prices come down other brands might catch up on the range by just having a bigger battery capacity.

The Ocean clearly sucks but it does have a big battery for a pretty low price. Even before they started giving them away for peanuts (Which is still more than they are worth).

I think the rumours of a new battery in the performance probably come from people looking at battery developments in China and coming out with wrong conclusions. The big jumps in battery tech are on the LFP batteries rather than the NCA chemistry of the Panasonic and NCM chemistry of LG batteries used in the model 3. For example the next generation BYD LFP blade battery increases energy density from 150 Wh/kg to 190 Wh/kg and is due in August. Meanwhile CATL are already selling an LFP battery with an energy density of 205 Wh/kg and have just announced a new battery at around 240 Wh/kg, which is near NCA density, and capable of adding 370 miles in 10 minutes on a suitable charger. If the claim about their Shenxing plus battery are true, including having a wide operating temperature (no battery preconditioning for rapid charging required), it really will be a game changer.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Well yes might seem weird but maybe it'll be a LFP battery that gets them there but I feel like they can do it with other chemistry's also.

Energy density does improve generally over time so in the same space they could likely fit more capacity. That would help with the range but also more capacity is likely to allow the battery to output more power as well. It just needs a nudge so it can tap the motors they are putting in better while also not dropping in range so much.

Everyone upset by car depreciation at the moment, have you checked prices on other cars?
People saying it’s Tesla specific, but I wonder if it’s not just a symptom of the high interest rate market in general. It’s going to affect used car prices, too.

I think it’s something that is affecting all cars though electric cars do seem to be being hit harder - have you seen how much the Porsche Taycan has depreciated? For a long time cheap finance has masked over supply and high new car prices with customers just looking at what it costs a month. What we are starting to see is there being no equity to out towards a new car at the end of PCP deals (there have been a few articles about this in the mainstream press about this) which will reduce sales. Throw in the cost of compensation for discretionary commission arrangements and the days of cheap car finance may be at an end.

More on topic Tesla has just upped the cost of the Performance model 3 by $1,000 in the US.

100% it's worth waiting at this point. Don't forget that apparently the UK EV market has taken a dive.
There's no government incentive, road tax discounts are going soon. I remember it was dead easy to book a test drive of the Highland near me, so there probably isn't that much interest.

I've only seen one Highland out in the wild and I live around EV central.
There are 100's of Teslas parked in the car parks around Brent Cross in London and my neighbour just ordered a model Y on a Saturday and it was available to collect the next working day.

I suspect there are going to be some huge deals coming up to end of Q2 to get rid of all the stock they seem to be building up.

Reactions: MD70
I was tempted, did a trade in value for my Model 3 Performance 2022 with Tesla

They offered me 29,500

Then I got a phone call from them saying if I was interested.

I said if they offered me 37,000 and the ability to transfer my FSD then possibly yes - they said they would call me back next week.

If they agree to the above, then I most probably would order one....if Stealth Grey colour becomes included at a no cost option - then I will definatly order one

But....being realistic, I think will be keeping my 2022 Model 3 Performance :)

They offered me 29,500

I said if they offered me 37,000 and the ability to transfer my FSD then possibly yes - they said they would call me back next week.

If they agree to the above, then I most probably would order one....if Stealth Grey colour becomes included at a no cost option - then I will definatly order one

I'd be interested to know if they do offer you £37k - I thought Tesla didn't negotiate on such things.

They offered me 29,500

Definitely curious to hear about the transfer thing. I'm glad they're getting that feedback.

Even better would be if they offer the transfer regardless of trade-in. (Strip it from the old vehicle prior to private sale.)

I'll definitely miss the FUSC on my 2018.

They’d sell so many more FSD’s if they just said you could always transfer to a new vehicle. Also will likely be a very good reason those people will stay loyal to buying Tesla’s.

Plus ultimately more people driving with FSD gives them more training data to make it better. Meaning they can get towards robotaxi quicker. It’s a win win for them.

They’d sell so many more FSD’s if they just said you could always transfer to a new vehicle. Also will likely be a very good reason those people will stay loyal to buying Tesla’s.

Plus ultimately more people driving with FSD gives them more training data to make it better. Meaning they can get towards robotaxi quicker. It’s a win win for them.
Elon doesn't believe in the value of many professions, including product planning and marketing. It shows.

Reactions: Pagemakers and MD70