Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you currently have a honking/beep beep issue with your steering wheel?

• Yes

• No

• Tesla fixed it!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to create a post to help other users as this could be a safety/QC issue on the horn not honking. I added the same response on a few replies to other posts but for search reasons I decided another main post is needed.
This left side horn issue was more concerning for me because I am left handed and a few other owners from the same Model 3 FB groups I am in posted about this months ago. Some had mentioned that a few tabs under the steering wheel needed to be pressed in to make better contact, some were fixed some were not. I probably would have never caught this without seeing those posts or unless an event happened as I hardly ever feel the need to honk the horn. I realized it makes sense from a safety standpoint since electric vehicles are so quiet and this is our first EV.

First experience:
I scheduled an appointment through the app and a Tesla Ranger came out a few weeks ago to look at the issue and said he could not find anything wrong and to "just press harder" was their solution. He even brought a replacement steering wheel with him in case it needed to be replaced which he said that our Model 3 didn't need.
Part of the troubleshooting process involved resetting the windows from a panel in the rear right passenger foot well area. While wfh, I noticed the ranger in my front security camera had the hood open and the rear door open and questioned why access to that area was needed. I assumed since the windows needed to be reset and he did the normal diagnostics and troubleshooting measures I took his word for it about pressing harder on the left side as it seemed to honk 'okay' while he was here. What stuck on the back of my mind was that ranger told me he had assistance from a senior technician on the phone during the troubleshooting process. hmmmm ok, must be a newer tech.

Second experience:
A month or so later I was contacted by Tesla to come into the Service Center because we were next in line to address a paint issue that we had been waiting on since our August delivery date. Perfect timing to bring up this horn issue again. So I did and they ended up fixing it.

See videos below:
Here is my video before it was fixed, squeaks, instead of honking on the left side:
Here is my video after it was fixed at the Service Center in Dublin, CA:

Honks as it should on both sides now.
Check yours fellow Model 3 owners and please respond to the poll!

I'll have to check this. I've had one instance where I tried to beep and no sound came out and I thought I was putting the same pressure in as my other car. I was using both thumbs around the middle/lower part of each side of the steering.

For those that had the left side issue... How did the ranger fix it? I know the horn section actually lifts up because I did have my steering wheel replaced a couple of months ago.

Wonder if I should just lift it up to see what's happening.

Let me know if you were able to see what the SC did to fix the issue.

114E72CB-24CF-43C6-9667-23C0D41B9221.jpeg
5B78ABFD-D535-4327-8126-CA6FC043CDE1.jpeg
For those that had the left side issue... How did the ranger fix it? I know the horn section actually lifts up because I did have my steering wheel replaced a couple of months ago.

Wonder if I should just lift it up to see what's happening.

Let me know if you were able to see what the SC did to fix the issue.

They replaced the entire steering wheel assembly. Unfortunately I wasn’t there, the ranger drove out to my wife’s place of work.

Last edited:
VIN# 3xxx

I've had this problem since picking up the car in March. On paperwork it's been in twice for repairs to fix it without success, the third attempt still was unsuccessful but they left off that the horn was an issue on the service paperwork and they won't include it in any paperwork moving forward...

My Tesla service advisor states the intermittent left-side horn is "normal".

VIN# 3xxx

I've had this problem since picking up the car in March. On paperwork it's been in twice for repairs to fix it without success, the third attempt still was unsuccessful but they left off that the horn was an issue on the service paperwork and they won't include it in any paperwork moving forward...

My Tesla service advisor states the intermittent left-side horn is "normal".

Huh? That is difficult to believe. What was the written disposition on the service ticket? Did they replace the steering wheel? If not, demand that they replace it. See my post above.

Huh? That is difficult to believe. What was the written disposition on the service ticket? Did they replace the steering wheel? If not, demand that they replace it. See my post above.
Yeah from my previous post the SC called me and told me it's normal but I mention people got their fix and wanted a ranger so they said it should be brought into SC to be looked at and cannot be done by ranger. So my appt is in Jan so hopefully they'll fix it. Got car in April 2018.

I will be sure to show them your ticket

It’s a freakin safety issue and it is not normal! If any Tesla service advisor tells you that then you need a different service advisor. They don’t know what they are talking about. Escalate the issue above his head and demand that it gets fixed ASAP.