Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 hub caps stolen *ugh*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grr. My husband and kids went to the gym for one hour tonight and just called to say someone stole 3 of the hubcaps (standard issue) off the car (got it March 2018). They were all scraped up from hitting the curbs while parking. Has this happened to anyone else? I assume I'll have to pay out of pocket to replace these? Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for any thoughts.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Grr. My husband and kids went to the gym for one hour tonight and just called to say someone stole 3 of the hubcaps (standard issue) off the car (got it March 2018). They were all scraped up from hitting the curbs while parking. Has this happened to anyone else? I assume I'll have to pay out of pocket to replace these? Also, is there any way to prevent this from happening again? Thanks for any thoughts.
That sucks. Fortunately haven’t had that happen. Probably wouldn’t be worth it to file under your auto insurance. Curious, but how else but “out of pocket” (other than insurance) would you expect the hubcaps to be replaced? Only way to prevent this from happening in the future is just ride without the Aeros and get the tire kit from Tesla.

Why would anyone wants hub caps? Can we shoot a person if we see them breaking into or stealing hub caps from your own car?
Possibly a junkie trying to get some cash together for a fix, etc. Wouldn’t recommend shooting anyone since that’s considered deadly force unless they’re coming at you with a weapon. Then, yes you have a right to defend yourself.

Possibly a junkie trying to get some cash together for a fix, etc. Wouldn’t recommend shooting anyone since that’s considered deadly force unless they’re coming at you with a weapon. Then, yes you have a right to defend yourself.
Indeed a broken knee cap should suffice.

Lucky for op the wheel cap kit looks better than the wheel covers anyways.

Reactions: C141medic
Are you talking about the Aero covers?

hey there's a set for sale in the bay area! hop on this:

aero caps bay area

thanks all. Yes, I meant our ratty scraped up Aero covers. no reason to want them, someone just probably wanted to take them off to be mean. it was quite stormy here yesterday and they hit a patch of road that felt like hydroplaning but didn't notice anything else. but, on the way home, (it's a few miles to the gym each way) they heard a scraping sound and when they got out to check there is plastic or something hanging off the back middle underside of the car and the 3 aero caps were gone. So now they are thinking they ran something over like a big branch when they hydroplaned? that then caused the aero caps to pop off? I am doubtful about that but what a coinkydink that the poor car suffered all that at once.

thanks all. Yes, I meant our ratty scraped up Aero covers. no reason to want them, someone just probably wanted to take them off to be mean. it was quite stormy here yesterday and they hit a patch of road that felt like hydroplaning but didn't notice anything else. but, on the way home, (it's a few miles to the gym each way) they heard a scraping sound and when they got out to check there is plastic or something hanging off the back middle underside of the car and the 3 aero caps were gone. So now they are thinking they ran something over like a big branch when they hydroplaned? that then caused the aero caps to pop off? I am doubtful about that but what a coinkydink that the poor car suffered all that at once.

It's possible they fell off ... that would be more plausible than theft.