Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After arrival today at 10am, they told my wife it should be done by 2pm due to all the cars they have to work on (3 others also in for FSD computer). By 11:15am they let her take the loaner Model X since she needed to be leaving by 2pm. The app notified me that work was completed between 2pm and 3:30pm. I'll find out Tuesday whether settings were retained.

Wonder why the long delay. It's only a few hours work max
Not for early vin numbers. They told me they need to order a piece of plastic that below the dash. The early Vin’s do not have that but later one do. So as you get the Computer update they are also doing that. I will get my computer upgrade in a few month’s- once the techs have all the practice they need and I am due for my 80 K coolant change.

Reactions: WhiteMountains
A bit more info on the retrofit:

My appointment for tomorrow morning was confirmed by text and email this morning, but I called the SC anyway to confirm that the hardware parts needed are available for my vehicle.

As the person I spoke to confirmed that I'm all set, I also asked about turnaround time and after a chuckle, he volunteered a bit more information:
  • The hardware portion is usually done within an hour
  • Software SHOULD only take a couple of hours more, but on early Model 3s (the first hundred thousand or so, according to him) the software is not taking at all even after 3 attempts
  • For those that are not taking, they have to do a hard reset (this is probably why everything is lost for some customers)
  • The SF service center is doing about 8 per day
I got my computer updated today at Watertown, MA service center. My VIN is 024XXX. (LR RWD)
They had no issues, and I didn't loose any settings (except my wifi password)
I asked about having to reset the computers, and service tech mentioned it was hit or miss, maybe 50/50. He also mentioned they were doing 3 to 4 replacements most days so they seem to be pretty proficient now. I dropped my car off at 9:00AM, but I noticed on the app that it didn't move until about 12:00. They were done before 2:00.

I picked up my car and the HW3 made auto lane change much faster, and also the car didn't get confused at this one spot in the carpool lane where it splits into two lanes. Haven't tested out all the routes I take to work and home so hopefully it fixes some of the other areas where HW2.5 was getting confused too.

Data wasn't erased, but it's a new WiFi MAC address so had to add home wifi to it. NAV map also needed to get updated.

The glove box was fine, but I forgot to check when picking up the car. Glad I didn't have to go back.

I wasn't sure if I liked Uber at first, but I think this is better than a loaner S or X without autopilot and then relearning all the functions and controls on the loaner. Uber let's you relax and play with your phone. I like it for 1 day repairs.

Finished Monday, too about 5 hours. Odd thing, was seeing ridiculous cabin temps during service, saved one screen cap that showed 150+ degrees, but also saw 200+. Oct 2018 manufacture, Dec 2018 purchase. I got the upgrade by putting in a service request for "Other" - "FSD computer upgrade".

Data saved but I had to redo my radio favorites, old ones were still there but didn't work. Also need a "game update", which is a first. Came up with 38.x (I think) while under service, upgraded to 40.1 before pickup. Also had to enable auto lane change again and obviously rejoin home WiFi.

Too early to properly assess thungs, but I've see a numbers of random cones on the screen where there are no cones. Some (I think) are street signs, others something else. Will see if that persists.

Last edited:
Not for early vin numbers. They told me they need to order a piece of plastic that below the dash. The early Vin’s do not have that but later one do. So as you get the Computer update they are also doing that. I will get my computer upgrade in a few month’s- once the techs have all the practice they need and I am due for my 80 K coolant change.
How early are we talkig here? Because my VIN is 021xxx and mine was done in 3 hours with other work completed on top of that.

My update went pretty smoothly, yesterday with only the expected loss of settings for wifi, etc..
The calibration completed in about 20 minutes of driving. While I can enable Navigate on Autopilot, the settings for confirmation of lane changes are grayed out, so I can't set to no anymore. I currently have to press the turn signal stalk to acknowledge an automatic lane change. Anybody else have this issue? (I think I read one person mention that additional calibration was required for this, but can't remember where I saw it, and haven't seen anyone else mention it)

My update went pretty smoothly, yesterday with only the expected loss of settings for wifi, etc..
The calibration completed in about 20 minutes of driving. While I can enable Navigate on Autopilot, the settings for confirmation of lane changes are grayed out, so I can't set to no anymore. I currently have to press the turn signal stalk to acknowledge an automatic lane change. Anybody else have this issue? (I think I read one person mention that additional calibration was required for this, but can't remember where I saw it, and haven't seen anyone else mention it)
Not an issue. Mine did the same thing. Next day i got in the car the option was available for me

Reactions: North75
I picked up my car today from Railside Toronto. Seems like they didn’t back up my data because nothing was saved. I have to set all my profiles, bluetooth, login to services and set addresses again. The only thing that saved was my phone key. Walk away door was turned off. Have to drive a bit to calibrate the cameras. Dropped car off 2PM Friday, got text it’s ready for pickup early Monday. Sunday service is closed and Saturday they finish early at about 2PM. Early VIN so I needed something additional.

Side note: they replaced my rear glass because the defrosters didn’t work, known issue for my VIN. Gotta get it retinted which is unfortunate.

@North75,

Yes.....you need to allow for additional calibration of the cameras and system. It should specify under those sliders the percentage remaining for FULL camera calibration. NOTE: the sliders will remain greyed out UNTIL full calibration of all systems is achieved after driving. Calibration comes in several phases. First phase is quickest with the blue arc around the steering wheel icon. Once complete that allows arming or ability to use NOA, but only partial functionality. Next comes remaining calibration for the auto lane change confirmation or decline as well as something else (cant recall). One caveat is that you MUST be in park to activate the sliders. So if your driving during all this you’ll have to pull over and put the car in park activate/turn on the slider and begin driving again. Another caveat.....if your in a blinding driving rainstorm as I was after install (for close to two hours on the interstate) the cameras will most likely either not fully calibrate or only partially calibrate due to the blinded camera warnings from the mist, salt, dirt, rain etc. until you can clear the cameras and get FULL calibration on ALL cameras and sensors to 100%. Then the sliders to set preferences for NOA will not be greyed out and will be adjustable as required.
Hope this is informative and helps those who have not had installs yet and gone through the process.

Regards,
Ski

@North75,

Yes.....you need to allow for additional calibration of the cameras and system. It should specify under those sliders the percentage remaining for FULL camera calibration. NOTE: the sliders will remain greyed out UNTIL full calibration of all systems is achieved after driving. Calibration comes in several phases. First phase is quickest with the blue arc around the steering wheel icon. Once complete that allows arming or ability to use NOA, but only partial functionality. Next comes remaining calibration for the auto lane change confirmation or decline as well as something else (cant recall). One caveat is that you MUST be in park to activate the sliders. So if your driving during all this you’ll have to pull over and put the car in park activate/turn on the slider and begin driving again. Another caveat.....if your in a blinding driving rainstorm as I was after install (for close to two hours on the interstate) the cameras will most likely either not fully calibrate or only partially calibrate due to the blinded camera warnings from the mist, salt, dirt, rain etc. until you can clear the cameras and get FULL calibration on ALL cameras and sensors to 100%. Then the sliders to set preferences for NOA will not be greyed out and will be adjustable as required.
Hope this is informative and helps those who have not had installs yet and gone through the process.

Regards,
Ski
Thanks for the added explanation.
I was definitely in park last night and couldn't move anything, but I probably only drove 10-15 miles after picking up the car.
My wife took the car to work today. I'll have to see if I can move anything else in the settings when she gets home tonight.

Thanks for the added explanation.
I was definitely in park last night and couldn't move anything, but I probably only drove 10-15 miles after picking up the car.
My wife took the car to work today. I'll have to see if I can move anything else in the settings when she gets home tonight.

@North75,

I don’t know how long her commute is but I don’t believe your initial drive was enough for the second calibration period. You should be good to go after she arrives home. Some have reported up to 30 miles before full calibration. I drove almost a hundred before mine fully calibrated however as I mentioned I was in a blinding rainstorm for 2/3 of that. Let us know how you do.

Ski

Just got upgraded today at the new Tesla Lynnwood WA service center.

Summary:
Took just over 4 hours.
Every setting restored except wifi networks and navigate-on-autopilot was off (since further calibration is required).
The service invoice included the text "profile restored".
No miles put on the vehicle whilst it was there.
Took 6 miles to recalibrate cameras enough for autopilot to function.
Went in on 2020.4.1, came out with the same.
This is a new service center that opened exactly a month ago on Feb 3rd.
The service advisor was very polite and professional. She said upgrade rate has increased a lot in recent weeks and they're now doing around 20x hw3 upgrades per day.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrau
@North75,

I don’t know how long her commute is but I don’t believe your initial drive was enough for the second calibration period. You should be good to go after she arrives home. Some have reported up to 30 miles before full calibration. I drove almost a hundred before mine fully calibrated however as I mentioned I was in a blinding rainstorm for 2/3 of that. Let us know how you do.

Ski
All good tonight after my wife got home. I was able to reselect No confirmation for automatic lane change on NoA.
For reference my wife’s commute was about 20 miles round trip so it probably took around 30+ miles to fully calibrate.
As others have mentioned NoA seems a bit steadier on HW3 after initial impressions from a quick test. Will need to test out more.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65
All good tonight after my wife got home. I was able to reselect No confirmation for automatic lane change on NoA.
For reference my wife’s commute was about 20 miles round trip so it probably took around 30+ miles to fully calibrate.
As others have mentioned NoA seems a bit steadier on HW3 after initial impressions from a quick test. Will need to test out more.

@North75,

Awesome!!! Glad it worked out. I see MUCH better improvement on NOA after HW3. Enjoy! Glad I could help.

Ski

Tesla's support page for Full Self-Driving Computer Installations which seems to be for S/X owners interested in Infotainment Upgrade (MCU1 -> MCU2) has a table of FSD Computer Upgrade Eligibility by region and configuration. Translating that table into MCU# + HW#, it seems to correspond to:

Code:
North America MCU2 + HW2.5  Scheduling Now
Europe        MCU2 + HW2.5  Early March
Asia Pacific  MCU2 + HW2.5  Early April
Global        MCU1 + HW2/.5 Early April
And given that Model 3s are all at least MCU2 + HW2.5, it seems that any Model 3 owners with FSD Capability purchased in North America right now can "schedule an appointment in the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service’ > ‘Accessories' > ‘Upgrades & Installations’ and add ‘FSD Computer Upgrade' in the description." And similarly for those in Europe and Asia Pacific within a month at the corresponding times.

Do new 2020 Models 3 come with Hw3 if you selected no to FSD?

Yes, all Teslas being manufactured come with HW3 automatically except for a few in China.

"A few"? It wouldn't be a news story if it weren't like days or weeks of production lines with HW2.5. Also there's a nasty case of assumptions on this board about what is stated (by Elon) vs the actual real truths.

If you don't order FSD, there's still a chance you'll get HW2.5, even now. China is an example of that. Tesla has a priority to provide HW3.0 to the people who actually purchased it (including retrofits) vs making it standard for new cars that don't care about FSD, so if you look at the supply chain through that lens, it absolutely makes sense.

This is easily verified in the software now.

But seriously, they're catching up, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. For example, I don't have HW3.0 and if I bought it right now two things are pretty reasonably true:
1. NoA is better with HW3.0, but not amazingly so (subjective, I admit) -- so a delay in hardware isn't a killer. This will change with more software updates, but they're also slowing down software pushes for some reason. Probably to use HW3.0 better.
2. I believe I could get retrofit hardware within 1-3 months based on what I'm hearing in this thread.

At the rate the software is coming out and the retrofits are being done, it's reaching a point where I believe by the end of the year it shouldn't matter when you acquire FSD, it's just a service call away from a retrofit with minimal wait. I don't think any of us benefit from worrying about the specifics about what hardware comes with a car bought in March 2020, it's still a gamble. But the supply chain is getting better and the retrofits are happening. All of this is converging to a sweet spot sometime in summer this year. Just in time to be pummeled by Model Y production needs ... :)

Last edited:
And given that Model 3s are all at least MCU2 + HW2.5, it seems that any Model 3 owners with FSD Capability purchased in North America right now can "schedule an appointment in the Tesla app by selecting 'Schedule Service’ > ‘Accessories' > ‘Upgrades & Installations’ and add ‘FSD Computer Upgrade' in the description." And similarly for those in Europe and Asia Pacific within a month at the corresponding times.

I don’t think that’s the case. I tried adding the FSD retrofit onto a bodywork repair planned for 3/16 and was told they didn’t have inventory to do it now.