Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK it can't even be done via mobile (especially on a 3 where coolant lines are involved).- at least previous posts have said that.

So don't be shocked if that gets cancelled

Man it's exhausting being right all the time :)

Well they emailed me that they can't do this install mobile and will be switching to the service center.

Then a minute later I got an email that they ran out again and will have to re-schedule.

They had one for me in March, then they didn't. Then they reached out to me that they had one for me in April and asked me to schedule an appointment, and suddenly they ran out again? Seriously?

I booked a service to rotate tires and also asked about HW3. They told me it was not ready yet via a follow up text. But when I dropped it off, the tech said they could do it. He actually went to the back to check if they had any in stock and came out with the new computer in hand. Whch was funny to me, because I had read that each computer was VIN specific. Regardless, I now have HW3.

Reactions: Silvercloud
Service centers seem to be pretty open, at least in the Bay Area so figured I’d try to get any service work done while I don’t need to drive my car. Booked an appointment for next day and got my HW3 upgraded today. The whole contactless service is pretty easy and straight forward. Just parked my car with the key on dash and window down and left. Got a text after they took it in and car was ready by end of day for pickup. Got an invoice with all the details via esign, definitely some improvements to service since I’ve last brought my car in. Also got an email with what parts were ordered for my service the day before, which gave me some confidence they weren’t just going to cancel my appointment in the morning. I hope this continues when things get busy again.

Just had my upgrade completed at Watertown, MA. HW3 retrofit is without electring wiring rework (I thought early 3's got the wiring reworked?) and the part number is 1462554-R0-J.

Also got my 2 year work done (brake fluid check $19.50, brake caliper pad cleaning and lubrication ($195), and HVAC cabin filter replacements ($73).

Got the charge port insulator pins replaced as well.

Dropped it at 8am and it was done at 1pm. Gave me a X loaner which feels like a massive tank....lol
Mine was a Feb '19 build and it did have wiring rework and splice. Wonder what gives with that.

I'm going in tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering what I found do for the trip home? Wear a mask and gloves? Bring Lysol spray and Clorox wipes? Drive home with the windows open?
I didn’t even see a human being. They’ll send you a link to an online form to complete when you arrive. Once you complete it, they call you and tell you to drop your keycard in the key drop. I was given a loaner so they just said “ that silver model S across the aisle is yours”. I did have to drop a loaner agreement in the key drop too.

I didn’t even see a human being. They’ll send you a link to an online form to complete when you arrive. Once you complete it, they call you and tell you to drop your keycard in the key drop. I was given a loaner so they just said “ that silver model S across the aisle is yours”. I did have to drop a loaner agreement in the key drop too.
They said they only have Uber credits available, I'm not going to use those...

HW3 Upgrade complete, took most of the drive home to calibrate AP, still downloading navigation data too. Here is how it went (didn't see directions but this is what I did).

Parked at the drop off, left my keycard in the cupholder.
Put on mask and gloves and went inside, they were expecting me so they said they would install HW3 and some charging port pin tsb thing.
Wife drove me home (no thanks on the uber credits).
They called to tell me it was complete, keycard was locked in the car, and car was plugged in and charging.
I got there, put on my mask and gloves opened the windows until I got on the freeway.
Once home I took a shower, changed my cloths. Now I will just let the car sit until at least friday before I go back into it (I figure that is long enough to be safe).

So I just noticed this thread; yeah, even though it's stickied. I've posted to an earlier thread on the same subject in the Autopilot/FSD forum: Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

My experience up to now with the FSD/HW3 upgrade process has been:

Jul. 3, 2018: Received LR RWD (VIN 444xx)
Aug. 15, 2019: Purchased FSD
Dec. 24, 2019: Posted that I'd be the test case for not bugging the SC for the upgrade and see how long they take to get to me Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?
Apr. 20, 2020: Santa Clara SC phoned me to say my HW3 upgrade is ready to schedule. They gave me a mobile service appointment for the 30th Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

Now begins the wait.....

So I just noticed this thread; yeah, even though it's stickied. I've posted to an earlier thread on the same subject in the Autopilot/FSD forum: Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

My experience up to now with the FSD/HW3 upgrade process has been:

Jul. 3, 2018: Received LR RWD (VIN 444xx)
Aug. 15, 2019: Purchased FSD
Dec. 24, 2019: Posted that I'd be the test case for not bugging the SC for the upgrade and see how long they take to get to me Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?
Apr. 20, 2020: Santa Clara SC phoned me to say my HW3 upgrade is ready to schedule. They gave me a mobile service appointment for the 30th Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

Now begins the wait.....
Very similar story, down to a 44xxx VIN. I've made no contact re HW3. So your story interests me, especially the mobile service aspect, since I recently moved to OR, 2 or 3 hours from the nearest SC. Let us know how it goes!

Very similar story, down to a 44xxx VIN. I've made no contact re HW3. So your story interests me, especially the mobile service aspect, since I recently moved to OR, 2 or 3 hours from the nearest SC. Let us know how it goes!
The Santa Clara SC is fairly close to me; about 15 miles. Been there half-a-dozen times for various things and it wasn't that far out of the way from my work commute. Now that I'm semi-retired and with the shelter-in-place conditions, I'd have plenty of time to drive over there so I was surprised that they offered mobile service.

Last week, I made an appointment at the Orlando-Eatonville Service Center for the FSD computer upgrade. Based on my previous experience with the West Palm Beach Service Center last month, I was expecting a cancellation with the parts on back order.

Imagine my surprise, my appointment for today was not cancelled, my Model 3 is being upgraded. and I have a loner P85D.

Kudos to the Orlando Service Center.

Reactions: kingtizzy007
Fantastic experience at the Lancaster PA service center. Appointment made on Monday by me for HW 3 upgrade. Received reminder text on Wednesday. I replied back asking for estimated time to complete and if a loaner vehicle would be available if not completed same day. I live 2.5 Hours from the service center. I got a text back within 10 minutes saying that the service would be complete within 2-3 Hours and not to worry about a loaner.

My appointment was for 9 AM today. I arrived at 8:40, checked in and handed my key card to the service manager. He provided an empty office for me to use to practice social distancing. No other customer expected for an hour so he was pro active about that. Right around 10 AM I got an alert on my phone that Software update was complete. 5 minutes after that my car was brought back out front. Quick conversation with the service manager on re-calibrating cameras and I was completed in 1.5 Hrs.

First Tesla service experience and I was quite pleased. Hope this is the normal if I should need service in the future.

Reactions: CharleyBC
I just got my 2018 LR AWD (84xxx vin) upgraded after getting on the waitlist at the Burlingame, CA SC back in January. It went smooth via their touchless procedure. The only issues are I was running 2020.12.1 when I brought it in and it's now on 2020.8.3 and they seem to have broken the damper on the glovebox. I have a mobile service appointment for the glovebox. They are out of the part needed to fix it so back on the waiting list I go.