Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if it’s worthy FSD for my M3P+ 2018. I got the EAP and wondering if should just close the deal before any increase in July. But also wondering if should wait for newer hardware out, instead of HW3. Appreciate other thoughts.

If you buy FSD now and get HW3 soon thereafter, and eventually HW4 comes out and is required for FSD features to function, then Tesla should upgrade again at no cost.
Of course, that’s a lot of ifs, and you never know with Tesla anymore these days..

Back to whether it’s worth upgrading software from EAP to FSD, it depends on whether you think automated city driving is important to you.
It’s going to take a while to be useful, and a much longer time to be fully automated (where it can drive without supervision) and this also depends on regulators in your area, so if you are very very patient, then FSD might be worth $2-3k over EAP.

Reactions: Dan_LA
I have an appointment at Princeton on May 22. So far hasn't been canceled. Have you had luck getting loaners their? Previously I used the Springfield SC.

Just had an HW 3.0 upgrade done in Devon,PA on my 3P-. I inquired if upgrade available via the app. They advised they were ordering the part. It arrived quickly. This tells me they were constrained by replacement boards (a couple weeks ago).

They originally scheduled via Rangers but then changed to in house at Devon. Provided a loaner when dropped off and advised it would likely be overnight but they texted complete in 6 hours:) I took my own pen & wore gloves and a mask in the loaner because "who knows". My SW data was preserved:) You need to re-establish your WiFi at home so the large maps file can download, uncompress and install which took about an hour for my WiFi connection. It takes a bit to become available in your "Autopilot" settings. Some have done a reset (brake peddle, both buttons on wheel) to help it along but not sure that is advised.

So the HW 3.0 upgrades are indeed moving east. I suspect they are slowly being ramped up based on parts availability but will eventually as parts stock improves likely be pushed out rather than by request IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan_LA
Just had an HW 3.0 upgrade done in Devon,PA on my 3P-. I inquired if upgrade available via the app. They advised they were ordering the part. It arrived quickly. This tells me they were constrained by replacement boards (a couple weeks ago).

They originally scheduled via Rangers but then changed to in house at Devon. Provided a loaner when dropped off and advised it would likely be overnight but they texted complete in 6 hours:) I took my own pen & wore gloves and a mask in the loaner because "who knows". My SW data was preserved:) You need to re-establish your WiFi at home so the large maps file can download, uncompress and install which took about an hour for my WiFi connection. It takes a bit to become available in your "Autopilot" settings. Some have done a reset (brake peddle, both buttons on wheel) to help it along but not sure that is advised.

So the HW 3.0 upgrades are indeed moving east. I suspect they are slowly being ramped up based on parts availability but will eventually as parts stock improves likely be pushed out rather than by request IMO.

Good and bad news for me. Yesterday, I once again, now the 3rd time, tried to make an appt. This time I did it asking for mobile service as I have heard that they can do the HW3 upgrade that way. It was almost immediately changed to SC as mobile service here cannot do it.

Today I got a call from the SC. They do not have an HW3 for my car. They are allocated for each car. Supply chain was affected but seems to be getting back up and running. They say they got two of them in but they are spoken for and to push my appt. back a couple of weeks. They have ordered the part and hope it comes in but they have no idea.

At least this is movement from we have none and cancel my appt.

Hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
I have an appointment at Princeton on May 22. So far hasn't been canceled. Have you had luck getting loaners their? Previously I used the Springfield SC.
I had an appointment there a few weeks ago (FSD computer). I was told they had a loaner for me, but when I showed up they could only offer Uber credits and no option to wait in an office until complete. I had to reschedule.

I tried to get the update via service appointment, and hey said the parts weren't in stock.

Has anybody gotten the same, but then at a later date had them contact you to install?

I'm wondering if I should try again in a month or so, or just wait for them to contact me?

I tried to get the update via service appointment, and hey said the parts weren't in stock.

Has anybody gotten the same, but then at a later date had them contact you to install?

I'm wondering if I should try again in a month or so, or just wait for them to contact me?

I would not trust them to call you.

I would keep trying or make an appt a couple of weeks out. Even ask them to order the part. My SC said they did order the part for my car and asked me to push my appt. back a couple of weeks.

Good and bad news for me. Yesterday, I once again, now the 3rd time, tried to make an appt. This time I did it asking for mobile service as I have heard that they can do the HW3 upgrade that way. It was almost immediately changed to SC as mobile service here cannot do it.

Today I got a call from the SC. They do not have an HW3 for my car. They are allocated for each car. Supply chain was affected but seems to be getting back up and running. They say they got two of them in but they are spoken for and to push my appt. back a couple of weeks. They have ordered the part and hope it comes in but they have no idea.

At least this is movement from we have none and cancel my appt.

Hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting maybe one is mine? I only got a confirmation text again today. I replied to it but not sure it goes anywhere. I expect maybe a phone call soon then.

I had an appointment there a few weeks ago (FSD computer). I was told they had a loaner for me, but when I showed up they could only offer Uber credits and no option to wait in an office until complete. I had to reschedule.

Uber would actually be fine for me, loaner would be nicer. It would be a problem if they don't finish the update the same day though.

Called for Appointment last thursday -- set up for Monday:
Monday arrive....Thumbs up for San Rafael, Ca. In at 9am drive out touch less at 11:29.
Discussion: they can change it out in less than an hour , but the software gods control the total time. Mine went very smoothly, but do not have any special history and only 3 radio stations. Homelink garage retained perfectly. About 5 miles to calibrate, came home on full auto, very smooooooth.

Lane change offers accepted and rejected, worked fine. Look ahead navigation suggested a route change, which I rejected, and I sat for 15 minutes behind a line of traffic. My bad Tesla good.

Recognized road maintenance and suggested route change... they weren’t working today so I rejected. Impressed that it knew about the posted road work.

vin 16### so I an early model

Reactions: camthehombre
I picked up mine (with FSD) in Nov 2018 in Greater Boston area and have tried to schedule the hw3 upgrade few times now in last 6 months. They keep telling me that my car is on the list but they don't have kit (ran out in all of Northeast) and I should schedule for 2-4 weeks later. I have next appt scheduled for end of May. Will see if I get asked to reschedule again.

Anyone here have any feedback on Dedham vs Peabody vs Watertown service center? Should I try scheduling for any particular service cetner?

I requested an appointment at the Dedham SC (where I bought my car) and received a TXT the next day saying "the parts that are needed for the HW3 Upgrade will not be available for your appointment." But rather than canceling my appointment, they rescheduled it for 10 days later when "the parts are estimated to arrive". So, fingers crossed...

FWIW, I also requested service on my trunk lid, which has a small leak along the seam with the rear windshield (not an uncommon issue with the M3 from what I can tell). I've read in the forums that some folks have had better luck getting the HW3 upgrade when they combined their appointment with another service. We'll see.

i requested an appointment for June as I'm due for some 2 year interval items and a state inspection. Told they were out of parts for FSD so seems like those of us on the East Coast are SOL for the time being. Ordered FSD back in August...

First attempt. Made an appointment via the app for the upgrade Monday night for Thursday afternoon. Got the confirmation email Tuesday morning that the parts were ready and that they're all set for me Thursday. Dropped off my Model 3 Thursday 11:30 AM, was finished at 3 PM. They gave me a Model S 90D as a loaner.

Must be nice.

They (Raleigh) just cancelled on me for a third time a couple minutes ago, once again day before the actual appointment.

This time they claim they have now ordered one "specifically for my car" and they'd reach out when it arrived so no need to put in a new appointment.

Sure would've been nice if they'd done that the first 3 times I scheduled this service going back over 3 months now.

And I'm...let's say pretty dubious...that they're going to actually order one and reach out to me when it arrives either.

Quick follow up on Teslas continued incompetence at logistics-

Still no word on my "specially ordered" FSD computer... but they did (the day after they cancelled my 3rd FSD appointment) text to say they set up mobile service for today, first thing in the morning, to do the charge pin service notice since the FSD appointment (where they'd also have done that) was cancelled yet again).

Last night they text to remind me the guy is coming first thing- and make sure car is accessible and I leave a key-card in it for no-contact service.

10 minutes ago the tech calls to tell me he needs to push my appointment (that he should've already just about been here for) because "they have us so overscheduled anymore that I won't even get out of Greensboro today" (another city in the state very roughly halfway between Raleigh and Charlotte)

So somehow last night the service folks thought he was still coming, no problem, first thing in the morning.

But in the morning the tech had a schedule so full he couldn't have even gotten to my town AT ALL today, let alone done any work- in fact a schedule so full he won't get to me for another full week.

It's almost like nobody actually ever had me scheduled for first thing in the morning- and they just have some huge list of names the tech has to get to eventually or something.

FWIW all 3 of my FSD upgrade cancellations going back 3 months now have come the night before the appointment... (though this is the Raleigh NC SC)

Good luck. They usually cancel within 24 hours of me making an appointment.

I've never used this SC before. I used Cherry Hill which is where I got the car from .

My appointment got canceled today, about 2.5 hours before the scheduled appointment saying the parts had not arrived yet. They said they would reschedule when they arrive. No big deal, since I am just trying to get this done while still at work from home status. It would be nice though if I could get off of version 2020.8.2.

My appointment got canceled today, about 2.5 hours before the scheduled appointment saying the parts had not arrived yet. They said they would reschedule when they arrive. No big deal, since I am just trying to get this done while still at work from home status. It would be nice though if I could get off of version 2020.8.2.

That stinks! They had me push out my last appt. from May 26th to June 3rd and say they are hopeful the part will come in.