Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 initial issues and errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still have a loaner, parts are all backordered and then they call me and say the Steering control unit has been recalled and the car can’t be released until that is replaced. Low and behold there is no timeline for that replacement either. Gotta love owning a car that has been in service longer than you have owned it :(. I even tried to do executive escalate and got a canned response and still no contact. The worst part for me is the complete lack of communication unless
I call.
As far as I’m concerned across the board Tesla’s biggest problem is communication, but especially with service.

Do they still have your car? If I were in your shoes, I’d expect Tesla to make my payments. It’s completely unacceptable.

For those who are already familiar with their 3s, a couple of questions: 1. Are polarized sunglasses an issue with the touchscreen? 2. How long can you leave your hands off the wheel (in Autopilot) before you get a warning? A lot of videos I watch show the drivers holding the wheel much of the time. Thanks, in advance, for your response.

Reactions: cwerdna
For those who are already familiar with their 3s, a couple of questions: 1. Are polarized sunglasses an issue with the touchscreen? 2. How long can you leave your hands off the wheel (in Autopilot) before you get a warning? A lot of videos I watch show the drivers holding the wheel much of the time. Thanks, in advance, for your response.
1) No. there is some definite striping, though still very visible. Is suspect it is a circular filter on the screen.

2) it depends and has changed over time without Tesla revealing exact mechanics. The only documented version was: What drives AP1 "Hold Steering Wheel" prompt timeframes?
The general advice is to keep hand(s) resting on steering wheel ready to take over. Resting arm on door and left side of wheel is a) safer than no hands, b) minimal to zero warnings due to torsion on wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: svp6 and DR61
Mine was delivered in Feb 2018 with VIN 51xx. While I have not experienced any of the above, here is my shortlist of issues. My nephew also had his delivered at the same time and experienced identical issues #1-3.

1) Charger cable became inoperable and needed to be replaced. The service center required three weeks to order and deliver it.
2) Charge port door sensor error. The charge port and door were fine, just a bad sensor that needed to be replaced (with the entire port door)
3) Auto windshield wipers needed to be re-calibrated. The wipers would auto activate in dry conditions, and not activate when wet. This was a reported problem and was fixed with a forced firmware update.
4) Loss of Bluetooth connectivity. This was an intermittent issue that resets on system reboot. I need to bring it back into the SC for analysis.

Mine was delivered in Feb 2018 with VIN 51xx. While I have not experienced any of the above, here is my shortlist of issues. My nephew also had his delivered at the same time and experienced identical issues #1-3.

1) Charger cable became inoperable and needed to be replaced. The service center required three weeks to order and deliver it.
2) Charge port door sensor error. The charge port and door were fine, just a bad sensor that needed to be replaced (with the entire port door)
3) Auto windshield wipers needed to be re-calibrated. The wipers would auto activate in dry conditions, and not activate when wet. This was a reported problem and was fixed with a forced firmware update.
4) Loss of Bluetooth connectivity. This was an intermittent issue that resets on system reboot. I need to bring it back into the SC for analysis.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing because of #1? Using a different cable or having to do some other form of charging in the mean time?

HI all,

I have taken in my Model 3 2 weeks ago VIN starting at 11XXX. Over the weekend I realized that the FM radio wasn’t working. No biggie, I did a soft reset yesterday and it started working again. Soon after I walked out of my car and closed the door with the key card sitting inside the center console only to see my car lock and refuse to open without the key card. 0__0 This morning my car started reporting that automatic emergency braking is disabled, and at one stoplight I felt as if the car started to roll backwards. Scared the crap out of me. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Informative
HI all,

I have taken in my Model 3 2 weeks ago VIN starting at 11XXX. Over the weekend I realized that the FM radio wasn’t working. No biggie, I did a soft reset yesterday and it started working again. Soon after I walked out of my car and closed the door with the key card sitting inside the center console only to see my car lock and refuse to open without the key card. 0__0 This morning my car started reporting that automatic emergency braking is disabled, and at one stoplight I felt as if the car started to roll backwards. Scared the crap out of me. Has this happened to anyone else?

The key is not detected in the cupholder and even if you leave it on top of the key card reader the 'Walk Away Door Locks' will still lock the car. Don't leave your key card in the car or turn off walk away door locking.
When you were at the stop light was your foot on the brake or did you assume that hill hold was working and you removed your foot from the brake? I your foot was on the brake and your car was moving backward then that is disconcerting, if you thought that hill hold was engaged and you let our foot off the brake (but no (H) appeared on the UI) then that is expected.

Hi

Picked up my M3 on 4/20. Here’s what I’m experiencing. No priority order.

- Frequent loss of Bluetooth connectivity. How do you perform system reboot? Someone posted this helps.
- wind noise at higher speeds. Any help?
- seems to be always on. Hearing a ticking and humming noise when entering garage. Any thoughts why?
- swaying or instability at when fast acceleration. Why?
- ac fan seems to be fairly loud at higher levels. Can live with it but any help suggestions?

Thx

• Informative
Hi

Picked up my M3 on 4/20. Here’s what I’m experiencing. No priority order.

- Frequent loss of Bluetooth connectivity. How do you perform system reboot? Someone posted this helps.
- wind noise at higher speeds. Any help?
- seems to be always on. Hearing a ticking and humming noise when entering garage. Any thoughts why?
- swaying or instability at when fast acceleration. Why?
- ac fan seems to be fairly loud at higher levels. Can live with it but any help suggestions?

Thx

Welcome and glad you are enjoying your new vehicle.

Bluetooth yes problems...type of phone/search it on site or hopefully a key fob soon from Tesla....reboot....search the forum
Wind noise...screen spline or RPM Tesla or take your door panels off and use dampening material or turn the radio up louder..search the forum.
Humming, very general question...30 secs after you arrive home or an one hour?
Swaying...could be number of things..your settings in your menu for the drivability of your car or alignment might be off some people had that issue.
Ac fan..don’t notice and I live in the Deep South where it is currently hot..hot ...hot.

Just do a search on the forum and if it does not make sense or you don’t trust the advice then don’t do it.

When braking on a decline/downhill, does your Model 3 make a grinding/screeching sound? My old ICE car didn't have this issue. Just wanted to verify as I will be going to service for other issues such as a misaligned passenger door, chip paint, and other things. VIN 15XXX April 26 delivery.

Cellogig...THX SO MUCH!
Chris
Just checking in. did you narrow ur list down?
Reboot...press brake pedal down and push in the two scroll buttons and hold until the screen turns black then release everything. The Tesla symbol like an apple symbol on an iphone will comeback unto the screen

Wind noise
Search for the most recent topic wind reduction. Maybe you would like to be involved.
Fan noise there has been recent concern for a couple of owners. If you feel like yours is that extreme then call ur service center.
Good luck and enjoy the car.

Called my local SC late yesterday, said someone will call me back to set an appt.
I'm on ver 2018.14.13
No noise when braking on downhill

Bluetooth was solid all of yesterday...thx for the reboot instructions
Would like to fix/control the fan & wind noise and swaying at high speeds....will find other forum talks on the wind noise
Something new popped up yesterday...couldn't log on to Slacker via Tesla or Slacker acct. - hopefully SC will help

THX

Called my local SC late yesterday, said someone will call me back to set an appt.
I'm on ver 2018.14.13

Would like to fix/control the fan & wind noise and swaying at high speeds....will find other forum talks on the wind noise
Something new popped up yesterday...couldn't log on to Slacker via Tesla or Slacker acct. - hopefully SC will help

THX

As for the swaying at high speeds- if the tire pressures are all set properly @ 42-45psi then you need an alignment- call the service center and tell them that the car pulls heavily to one side and they will get the alignment done for you.

I'm on ver 2018.14.13

THX
Slacker I believe was happening issues connectivity but that might have be a couple of days ago

• Informative
Reactions: Scrutmonkey
My wife's new 3: charge port door most often DOESN"T open when the button on UMC or HPWC pressed. Works fine when activated directly. It is supposed to work in the same manner as the S, no? Anyone know how to test or fix the antenna? D

Was the car "unlocked" when she was trying it. I think it stays locked if the car is locked. not being sarcastic, just checking to see if that could be it.

• Informative
Reactions: cellogig