Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with AAA.

Currently we have a 2016 model S and a 2013 Chevy Volt. Both of us have good driving records. Premium is 2500$ish/year.

I was really happy to get the quote with the model 3. It only increases 80$/year. Considering the car is quite a lot newer and quite a lot more valuable. I consider this to be a good sign that insurance companies are being reasonable about the model 3. Hopefully the insurance rates on the model 3 aren't going to be too bad. It has been a concern with the model S...

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV and skitown
Sure- Basically exchanging the model 3 for the chevy volt adds 80$/year to my insurance. So the model S and the Model 3 combined are 2500 for the year. I can't tell by my quote how much the model 3 would be alone.
In Santa Barbara, CA. I have a Model S, VW Jetta TDI, Dodge Ram 2500, and a Nissan Leaf insured with Kemper, all for $2400 a year.

• Informative
Reactions: erthquake
I only called Progressive and Wawanesa, both of which insure(ed) current or past Ss at reasonable (for California/LA County) rates.

They said the Model 3 (guesstimated to a certain extent but ended up pretty close to what I configured after getting the email last month) coverage would be what amounted to 20–25% less than the Model S rates I had been quoted.

Now, depending upon how you look at that... heh. But it is what it is.

Of greater concern are the games the CA DMV is playing with registration fees starting 2018.

May I ask where is your location? Since insurance rate differs a lot from city to city too. For my Model S and Model X, Geico cannot match our current rate and for the Porsche we have, it was ridiculously high as Geico somehow consider them to be exotics. :confused:

I have a quote from Geico for model 3 = $509 for 6 mo. 300/500/100K, 500 deductible, roadside assistance, mechanical breakdown, etc.

In Santa Barbara, CA. I have a Model S, VW Jetta TDI, Dodge Ram 2500, and a Nissan Leaf insured with Kemper, all for $2400 a year.

This number is meaningless without understanding the level of coverage you have, whether you have rental reimbursement on your vehicles in the event you are hit by an uninsured motorist, etc.

Any online insurance quote tool will show you how dramatically you can swing your premium costs depending on your coverage caps, as well as your deductible.

I am in the San Francisco suburb so it should be comparable. Hmmm...
There are so many variables at play, it is difficult to compare. For example - age, number of drivers and age, driving record, miles per year, commuting, etc. I have been a member of Geico for over 20 years and I get additional discounts for that, plus i have a second car insured with them which gets me another discount, only one or two claims over those years, etc. The only thing you can do is compare one company against another for your specific situation. Geico works best for me but not necessarily for everyone. As always, YMMV.

Sure- Basically exchanging the model 3 for the chevy volt adds 80$/year to my insurance. So the model S and the Model 3 combined are 2500 for the year. I can't tell by my quote how much the model 3 would be alone.

I spoke to my AAA orange county office and something seems wrong for me. If I add the M3 to my existing two vehicles, just for the M3 it would be annual premium of $2500 alone. Most of this amount $2200 is for comprehensive and collision deductible of $250/$1000. I am wondering why this is so outrageously high, compared to your estimate and other insurer. I have no accidents, claims, etc.... I know there are many factors but I am using my two existing vehicles and others’ estimates to do a relative comparison and something doesn’t add up.

I spoke to my AAA orange county office and something seems wrong for me. If I add the M3 to my existing two vehicles, just for the M3 it would be annual premium of $2500 alone. Most of this amount $2200 is for comprehensive and collision deductible of $250/$1000. I am wondering why this is so outrageously high, compared to your estimate and other insurer. I have no accidents, claims, etc.... I know there are many factors but I am using my two existing vehicles and others’ estimates to do a relative comparison and something doesn’t add up.

I had AAA for years until we bought two Teslas. Each one was costing around $2500 a year, as you noted. Didn't matter that mine was an older 2013, etc. I think they just don't like to insure Teslas.

We ended up switching companies. For me Geico and Ameriprise through Costco were the cheapest.