Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 interior preservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had the car a few months, and I'm already starting to see scratches and nicks inside the vehicle, some on the hard plastic bit near the door, but also on the material coating on the door too. I don't want a full detailing job done (boot and back seats can stay untouched for instance), but is there a decent place in the UK that protects the interior somehow, maybe with ceramic coating? I also don't need perfection to help keep prices a bit lower.

Does interior ceramic coating actually prevent scratches? If they can alleviate (if not completely fix) the existing scratches/nicks, that would be great too, but not expected.

Also, does such work smell once it's finished, but maybe get rid of the "new car" smell (which I actually like, against my expectations surprisingly).

Does interior ceramic coating actually prevent scratches?

I don't think so, at not least on paint. Maybe slightly. I'm expecting our paint ceramic coat by being a little harder so wont suffer so much with fine scratches, plus dirt is less likely to adhere to it so won't act so much like sandpaper. But ceramic would make it easier to clean which would include interior too. But apparently the seats are pretty easy to clean anyway. So not sure what it can do in interior scratch wise.

Maybe worth checking autofinesse caramics range in Halfords as they do an interior DIY pack for about £26. I bought some for our winter wheels but yet to apply.

Last edited:
The mucket trims (the plastic bits that sit on the lower frame of the door) are cheap (or at least are with the mainstream brands ;)) and easy to swap, so replacing them periodically is an option. Consider them almost as consumables. As to the door cards - they are easily replaced too, but a little more expensive. If you feel you need to protect them, I'd suggest some sort of sticky-backed plastic :)

Sticky Back Plastic | wilko.com

That last idea isn't completely crazy - you may be able to cut out a matt black piece of film that you could use to protect the lower part of the door card. Personally, I just try to be careful not to kick it - it'll scuff easily, as it will on pretty well any other car. I think that perhaps Tesla could have made it a little more knobbly/textured which would hide scuffs better - but it is as it is.

Personally, I just try to be careful not to kick it - it'll scuff easily, as it will on pretty well any other car. I think that perhaps Tesla could have made it a little more knobbly/textured which would hide scuffs better - but it is as it is.

I just don't know why they couldn't have coated it in some sort of scratch resistant material or pleather like they did with the seats. Since it would only be for the lower part of those two doors (probably the most vulnerable parts in the whole car), so wouldn't bump the price up much. I don't want to have to nanny the car.