Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New A-Pillars Enhance Safety But Impede Visibility

They get bigger when they put airbags in them too:

a-pillar-airbag.jpg

Thanks TEG. With all my track days I've seen way to many wrecks with a lot of rollovers involved. If it can happen on the track it can happen on the street as well. When I was track day instructing getting in a 600 HP car with a new guy was to put it bluntly, terrifying.

99.99% of people buying this car are not taking it to the track. It's ridiculous to expect Tesla to design a sedan for the situations you seem to think are common.

99.99% of people buying this car are not taking it to the track. It's ridiculous to expect Tesla to design a sedan for the situations you seem to think are common.
As the 3 has limited roof structure because of the large rear window and just two crossbeams overhead instead of 3 (or even solid roof), they probably had to make the A-pillar bit more beefy. Then factor in airbags, the finished pillar does get larger.

Keep in mind, the picture shown was at a somewhat oblique angle and not necessarily the viewing angle the driver would see. Therefore it appears massive, but from a more normal realistic viewing angle a driver would see, I don't see it being that big of deal.

I don't mind the thickness of the A-pillars at all. I am much more concerned when cars don't offer good visibility out of the rear window - like in the Model S. Will be interesting to see how the Model 3 does in this respect. A rear-view camera is certainly nice, but sometimes plain old proper visibility out of the rear window itself is handy as well.

And as for safety, I am sure the Model 3 will be one of the safest cars in its segment, so no worries there. Especially concerning the roll-over / flip over scenario, as I have never ever seen such a thing happening in a non-SUV travelling at "normal" speeds. When I saw that video earlier on about that road rage incident I immediately thought "what an idiot" about the driver of that white SUV/pickup which rolled over. I mean from the footage it was clear that he must have noticed the accident. The car swerved almost into his lane before, then crashed into the barrier, then came back towards him. But in contrast to the driver in the lane to the left of him he didn't slow down or react in any sensible way but just kept on going as if the accident was of no interest to him at all - until the other car hit him. I mean what did he expect - that the other car just disappear?

Reactions: Big-T
Nice article. This picture shows the 3 to 1 blindspot size difference, measured in pedestrians, at both ends of the seat adjustment range on a 328i.

Seat position matters, so taller people will perceive it as not a problem.
And they will make obscene gestures at people who almost run them over in downtown Palo Alto.
With no concept that they were invisible.

image.jpeg

I don't mind the thickness of the A-pillars at all. I am much more concerned when cars don't offer good visibility out of the rear window - like in the Model S. Will be interesting to see how the Model 3 does in this respect. A rear-view camera is certainly nice, but sometimes plain old proper visibility out of the rear window itself is handy as well.

And as for safety, I am sure the Model 3 will be one of the safest cars in its segment, so no worries there. Especially concerning the roll-over / flip over scenario, as I have never ever seen such a thing happening in a non-SUV travelling at "normal" speeds. When I saw that video earlier on about that road rage incident I immediately thought "what an idiot" about the driver of that white SUV/pickup which rolled over. I mean from the footage it was clear that he must have noticed the accident. The car swerved almost into his lane before, then crashed into the barrier, then came back towards him. But in contrast to the driver in the lane to the left of him he didn't slow down or react in any sensible way but just kept on going as if the accident was of no interest to him at all - until the other car hit him. I mean what did he expect - that the other car just disappear?

I think rear visibility will be the biggest advantage of the 3 over the S, since they've removed the thick crossbar supporting the hatchback. The large rear window should be great to look out of.

As the 3 has limited roof structure because of the large rear window and just two crossbeams overhead instead of 3 (or even solid roof), they probably had to make the A-pillar bit more beefy. Then factor in airbags, the finished pillar does get larger.

Keep in mind, the picture shown was at a somewhat oblique angle and not necessarily the viewing angle the driver would see. Therefore it appears massive, but from a more normal realistic viewing angle a driver would see, I don't see it being that big of deal.

So what are your thoughts of viewing the passenger side A-pillar from the drivers seat?

Reactions: 0ptions
So what are your thoughts of viewing the passenger side A-pillar from the drivers seat?
Good point as from that viewing angle, the A-pillar will be fairly large. But every car has that blind spot. Of course some are just smaller or bigger than others. With the prevalence of airbags located in the A-pillar on most (if not all) new cars, it is just something that needs be considered and made aware of. In my experience though that location doesn't come into play much in my daily driving, but if it does, one just shifts their head back or forward slightly to look around it.

As someone who has driven an Audi TT for the last 14 years, one gets pretty good at handling blind spots. :p

Reactions: 0ptions