Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is dead. Ran software Update this morning. Now I get nothing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran a software update this morning. About 45 minutes later I went to the car to leave for work, and it is dead. I can unlock the doors and open the charger port via the app. Nothing else is working. I created a mobile appt, but that is for 2 weeks out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a number I can call? Does roadside assistance bring Tesla service? I can't wait 2 weeks.

Thanks!
Dan Wassink

As a side comment, I learned years ago with the Tesla to never install an update soon before I need the car and especially never do it a few days before a long trip. One of the reasons is things like this.

I hope you get it going soon and will be interested to find out if it was due to firmware update or some other cause.

As a side comment, I learned years ago with the Tesla to never install an update soon before I need the car and especially never do it a few days before a long trip.
Finagle's corollary

Oh, and just as an aside to @danwassink The two finger reset can be used while you are driving with no ill effects, other than not being able to control most of the things in your car since your hands are on the wheel and the screen is blacked out. Said another way, the car will still drive normally while the reset is occurring.

Tesla normally responds to such things urgently. Make it very clear you're not able to operate the car if this is the case.

If it's still in this state, let's try a few things:
  • Being able to open the charge port means it has cellular connectivity, which sort of implies many things are OK. Can you "remote start" it from the app?
  • Can you enable climate from the app, and does it work?
  • Can you put it in gear even though the screen is dark?
The car can be fully operable even without the screen.

This happened to our Model S a few years ago. The car would not wake up after a failed update. Tesla mobile service came out within a day and plugged a laptop directly into the car and forced the full software update and got everything back to normal in about 30 minutes. As HelixSpiral says start with roadside service that that your car is dead.