Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have 2,500 miles on our Model 3 (in under two weeks), I'll chime in. I don't feel like I need a key fob. The phone key works very well and I've only had a couple of random occurrences of the door not opening the first time I pull the handle. One less thing to lose, one less thing to accidentally wash, one less thing to change batteries in.

I'm still l voting YES as long as the Model 3 fob is not susceptible to the hack outlined in this Wired article about cloning an older Model S fob:

Hackers Can Steal a Tesla Model S in Seconds by Cloning Its Key Fob

You will notice that they didn't mention the Model X which uses a BT based fob. The more recent Model Ss actually use the BT fob as well now.

And when Tesla added the PIN to drive feature they announced that you can get your old Model S fob updated with new cryptography, which may be a direct result of the research mentioned in that article.

I hate key fobs. They are big and when I put them in my pockets usually my money clip or wallet activate them. I had several occasions where I came out to my X and found the driver door or rear hatch open. Sat down in restaurant and must have activated without knowing. Huge security issue.

Tesla fob would be fun since it’s unique but phone as key has been working flawlessly for me. I have iPhone X for reference. Love not even having to remember to lock the doors when leaving. So automated and nice.

If I was someone who didn’t keep the latest model Apple phone in my pocket, I would probably want a dedicated fob. This is on the assumption that the problems people are having are more on the phone side vs. car.

I would like it to work with the Apple Watch independently of the phone.

There's a third party app "Remote S" for iPhone that includes an Apple Watch app and complication. It's fantastic. If you have a series 3 watch, you can unlock and start your car from your watch over LTE, too.

The only minor issue with this app is that it can be slow to connect, unlock/start car when on LTE. It's a function of the Tesla API, not the app itself.

There's a third party app "Remote S" for iPhone that includes an Apple Watch app and complication. It's fantastic. If you have a series 3 watch, you can unlock and start your car from your watch over LTE, too.

The only minor issue with this app is that it can be slow to connect, unlock/start car when on LTE. It's a function of the Tesla API, not the app itself.
So it requires an LTE watch? I have a series 3 but it's the non LTE version. I'm guessing it cannot work over Bluetooth.
Give me an excuse to buy a series 4 watch when it's announced in two days.