Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simple yes or no, would you like a key fob for your Model 3?

I really think they need to provide a set of keyfobs as optional. Seeing as how this is a “mainstream” car, they should probably make it optional to avoid alienating buyers. I personally welcome the change, but both my dad/grandpa are slow to embrace the phone app concept. Disclaimer: both have reservations but not 100% committed.

going from my 3 to my S, i dont really enjoy having the mass of plastic in my pockets. so yes, i do think it is a positive to link it to the phone.

they just need to work on the detection stuff. sometimes i am awkwardly standing next to my car while i wait for the phone/car to speak in binary.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Tonight was the first time I had to dig into my purse, unlock my phone, go into the app and push “unlock” to get in my car. Annoying in a dark parking lot with hubby waiting impatiently to get in. Would have rather just grabbed a fob and double clicked.

Hopefully that doesn’t happen too often with all the various ways phones can have issues.

Yes, have had a few instances of the car not reacting to the phone nearby (yes, ensured that the 3 was the selected car and not the S). Have had to take the card key out.

Cannot open the trunk and frunk either from a distance from the outside when I cannot connect to the car through the app in areas where the car isn't on the data network (which seems to be at and near my home for sure); weird that the S is on the LTE network in the same areas. There's no Wifi hookup yet on the 3.

Would like a good old key fob.

Last edited:
Tonight was the first time I had to dig into my purse, unlock my phone, go into the app and push “unlock” to get in my car. Annoying in a dark parking lot with hubby waiting impatiently to get in. Would have rather just grabbed a fob and double clicked.

Hopefully that doesn’t happen too often with all the various ways phones can have issues.

And with a fob, you can do this blindly by feel inside your pocket/purse/whatever.

I'm hoping that eventually they'll produce a fob, I'm willing to pay for it. The X uses a BLE fob already, so even if the 3's current BLE system is different, surely it's not hard to enable X style (but presumably either 3-shaped or just boring regular fob) fobs to be paired with it (even if it requires a minor hardware revision somewhere) ...

I don't think there's going to be an aftermarket solution without Tesla's assistance though.

I’m of the opinion that there’s no way to do an aftermarket fob without assistance from a Tesla.

As for wanting one, if the phone key works reliably then I’m all for ditching the fob and having once less thing to carry around.

The fewer things I have to carry around, the happier I am.
I agree, and that includes a 'bulkier than fob' smartphone.

I think the smartphone/fob debate is a generational one. Generally speaking, younger people have grown up with a smartphone and it is part of their persona and necessary for work. Older folks grew up with land lines and are retired and consider a phone an intrusion. One is not better than the other, it is just a personal choice and Tesla should offer both.

I don't know why Tesla doesn't use the system I have on my current car, I think it is called RFID (but not sure). I have a very small fob that always stays in my pocket or purse. You walk up to the car, grab the handle, the car beeps twice, and the door unlocks. Conversely, get out of the car, press a sensor on the handle, the car beeps once, and the doors lock. You can start the car without taking the very small fob out of your pocket. Nothing could be easier. What is the problem with this system - no smartphone necessary and no removal of a keycard from your wallet?

Last edited:
I agree, and that includes a 'bulkier than fob' smartphone.

I think the smartphone/fob debate is a generational one. Generally speaking, younger people have grown up with a smartphone and it is part of their persona and necessary for work. Older folks grew up with land lines and are retired and consider a phone an intrusion. One is not better than the other, it is just a personal choice and Tesla should offer both.

I don't know why Tesla doesn't use the system I have on my current car, I think it is called RFID (but not sure). I have a very small fob that stays always in my pocket or purse. You walk up to the car, grab the handle, the car beeps twice, and the door unlocks. Conversely, get out of the car, press a sensor on the handle, the car beeps once, and the doors lock. You can start the car without taking the very small fob out of your pocket. Nothing could be easier. What is the problem with this system - no smartphone necessary and no removal of a keycard from your wallet?
I would much rather carry a phone that a pocket full of keys. The sooner I can get rid that and my wallet, the better.

The two current options are the RFID card which is extremely close range or Low Energy Bluetooth which need an authorized app.
Doubtful that an aftermarket option will work unless Tesla have fitted the hardware already and is not using it.

I would much rather carry a phone that a pocket full of keys. The sooner I can get rid that and my wallet, the better.
I have a car fob but no keys in my pocket. Carrying a fob does not necessarily mean that I carry keys.

I too, would like to ditch the wallet, but we don't have the technology today, but getting closer. An interesting thread would be: "what's in your pocket' (let's leave the sophomoric humour out of it). I carry:
wallet (with d.l., Kaiser health insurance card, one credit card (Costco), and <$20 cash)
handkerchief (I suffer from allergies)
writing pen (I hate using other pens; I like the shape, feel, and style of my pen)
car fob
a small (size of a fob) six foot measuring tape (an occupational hazard that I use more than any other item in my pocket)

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
What is the phone procedure versus the fob procedure for unlocking the trunk or frunk? Okay, we know the latter is to push a part of the fob without even removing it from your pocket (or purse). Will one have to remove the phone and open the Tesla app? Thanks.