Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least with my phone, can see state of charge, so can always get into my 3. I keep back up card in my wallet. With our Lexus RX 450h, if fob battery dead, I’m stuck and fob gives no warning. The ability to run our Tesla’s with our phones is a plus in my book.

At this point I wonder what kind of redesign would need to take place in order for a keyhole on the door to actually do something, since the door handle isn't actually connected to the lock.
If they gave us a key fob, they could still embed the RFID chip in the fob so if the battery dies in the fob, you can still just wave the fob against the pillar of the driver's side to unlock it. Sure, you wouldn't be able to use it to get into the trunk/passenger side without first going to driver's side, but that would be in the rare case that the battery died on the fob, unlike the not-so-rare case of the phone not being able to connect.

Kfob batteries go dead too. Plus the little buttons stop working. (Luckily Toyota provides an actual key in addition to fob)

If they gave us a key fob, they could still embed the RFID chip in the fob so if the battery dies in the fob, you can still just wave the fob against the pillar of the driver's side to unlock it. Sure, you wouldn't be able to use it to get into the trunk/passenger side without first going to driver's side, but that would be in the rare case that the battery died on the fob, unlike the not-so-rare case of the phone not being able to connect.

I think this is how some existing OEM keyfob systems work, actually - if the battery fails, you position it in a specific position and it will work using RFID.

I think this is how some existing OEM keyfob systems work, actually - if the battery fails, you position it in a specific position and it will work using RFID.
Yeah, I think I've read that some do. Like you hold it right next to the "Start" button and it uses RFID to authorize the start button. Not sure where you hold it to get into the car, but I assume somewhere near the handle or pillar. My wife's Prius has a key inserted into the fob, so she has a physical one. Though I'm still not sure where to insert it to start, but I've never needed to. If the time came where I needed to, I'm sure I'd find it.

Yeah, I think I've read that some do. Like you hold it right next to the "Start" button and it uses RFID to authorize the start button. Not sure where you hold it to get into the car, but I assume somewhere near the handle or pillar. My wife's Prius has a key inserted into the fob, so she has a physical one. Though I'm still not sure where to insert it to start, but I've never needed to. If the time came where I needed to, I'm sure I'd find it.
The physical key opens the door. You place the fob by the start button, which authorizes the car to start and operate normally.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: drawfour
We've had our Model 3 for 5 months and after several techs working on it without success we still cannot get our phone to open or start the car. Fumbling with the key card is a joke, especially in the rain, or when it slides in between the seats. The phone/key card system to access and drive the car is an absolute disaster. There are over 1,000 phones to try and make compatible. The phone/key card is simply a very bad idea and as such we cancelled our order on our second Model 3 until a fob becomes available. I can open and drive away my 20 year old truck in seconds and with 100% success rate. The Model 3 takes longer to fumble around trying to open and start than any car I've driven. A HUGE disappointment.

I asked doctor if he could implant the chip from card into my fore arm. He said yes.
This beats fob and card.

If you'd like to have your keycard converted into an implant, let's talk. I am interested in exploring this possibility. I made that transit card implant for the guy in Australia - opal card implant - Google Search and I'm interested in doing the same for a few Model 3 owners.

Funny thing for my wife and me.

When we took delivery of the Model 3 in January, the phone key was problematic. It would crap out, and my wife would have to use the card key to access the car and drive. I drove the car a few times during this early period. I switched between the S and the 3 on the phone app. Sometimes for me the phone would not awaken or connect, and I was forced to use the key card.

Six weeks ago, we both purchased new Apple 8 phones. The Tesla app was installed. My wife has not switched back-and-forth between the S and the 3. Meanwhile, I have not driven the 3, and I have not even glanced at the 3 on the app. My phone stays locked on the S, and her phone stays locked on the 3.

She has had zero problems with the phone key since.

I know zero, zip, nada about such things. Don't understand them. Don't understand the logic. But it surely seems peculiar that dedicating one phone to one car clears things up.

I have just more or less read all this thread and I must be missing something.

I agree a key fob should be an option, my current car works perfectly with one. The biggest issue I would have is that you still need to press the key fob to unlock! You have to get the fob out of your pocket or bag.

All other modern cars I have used have a button on the driver and passenger door handle (and trunk/boot) that you press to lock and unlock the car!!!!! WOW what an idea! It seems Tesla thinks that we are idiots. With said button, you get to choose if you wish the car to lock or unlock as you see fit. Without said button, even the Bluetooth phone option is hampered as it always believes you want the car unlocked when you are near it!

As far as the key card goes, its a neat novel backup solution (One that most manufacturers achieve by a key implanted into the keyfob). However, it would have been nice to have a slot in the car to allow the card to go into and not just sit on the console.

We all know Tesla has some brilliant ideas, but when then start trying to re-invent the wheel, I get annoyed. Its like the lack of any kind of tactile buttons and switches. Telsa's reasoning is that with a touch screen, you allow unlimited programmability as to what the screen does. True, but know one ever said that a row of tactile buttons and a couple of rotary knobs had to have a fixed function. They could be completely user customizable. I'd have one for rotary temperature, 2 buttons for heated seats, a button for my favourite radio station etc. Pretty simple. Probably something that hasn't been much thought of is that in RHD countries, the majority of people are still right handed, and trying to jab a touch screen with your left hand whist driving a car is a complete nightmare, at least for me

. 2017-Hyundai-i30-SR-touchscreen.jpg
Imagine the above screen, except the buttons are unlabelled for a general idea of what I mean. Obviously it would be Tesla sized and the buttons would perhaps be below.

I have just more or less read all this thread and I must be missing something.

I agree a key fob should be an option, my current car works perfectly with one. The biggest issue I would have is that you still need to press the key fob to unlock! You have to get the fob out of your pocket or bag.

All other modern cars I have used have a button on the driver and passenger door handle (and trunk/boot) that you press to lock and unlock the car!!!!! WOW what an idea! It seems Tesla thinks that we are idiots. With said button, you get to choose if you wish the car to lock or unlock as you see fit. Without said button, even the Bluetooth phone option is hampered as it always believes you want the car unlocked when you are near it!

As far as the key card goes, its a neat novel backup solution (One that most manufacturers achieve by a key implanted into the keyfob). However, it would have been nice to have a slot in the car to allow the card to go into and not just sit on the console.

We all know Tesla has some brilliant ideas, but when then start trying to re-invent the wheel, I get annoyed. Its like the lack of any kind of tactile buttons and switches. Telsa's reasoning is that with a touch screen, you allow unlimited programmability as to what the screen does. True, but know one ever said that a row of tactile buttons and a couple of rotary knobs had to have a fixed function. They could be completely user customizable. I'd have one for rotary temperature, 2 buttons for heated seats, a button for my favourite radio station etc. Pretty simple. Probably something that hasn't been much thought of is that in RHD countries, the majority of people are still right handed, and trying to jab a touch screen with your left hand whist driving a car is a complete nightmare, at least for me

.View attachment 313952
Imagine the above screen, except the buttons are unlabelled for a general idea of what I mean. Obviously it would be Tesla sized and the buttons would perhaps be below.
VW and Mercedes don't have buttons you press to unlock the door before opening (on vehicles with keyless entry) they unlock when you pull the door handle. Technically Tesla now does the same thing on the Model 3. You have to actuate the door handle before the car unlocks (when using phone key).

VW and Mercedes don't have buttons you press to unlock the door before opening (on vehicles with keyless entry) they unlock when you pull the door handle. Technically Tesla now does the same thing on the Model 3. You have to actuate the door handle before the car unlocks (when using phone key).

Well that makes SOME sense, how do you unlock it to let child get something out of the rear opposite door? I now do that with the "button". Do you have to open the drivers door then shut it again? The key fob only lets me unlock the car if I'm standing next to the relevant door button I am in proximity to, this is to prevent people from randomly jumping in from elsewhere.

And how do you again lock the door? Do you have to move away from the car?