Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob

Will you get a Model 3 Keyfob

• Yes

Votes: 46 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 66 41.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 30.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone considered getting the Key Fob for their Model 3?

I’m quite comfortable with the phone key and keycard backup, but I quite like the thing as an object in itself.

Plus, the ability to easily open the frunk and charge port would be nice.

So... is this on your radar?

I’m undecided . Like the idea of remote opening as you say. It is sometimes a pain to go into an app. Wait for it to load. Press unlock. Sync with whatever you are using. Then it activates. And by this time you are at the car. Sitting on the kerb waiting for the frunk to open...... but the price is pulling me away from it. Really you should get at least 1 with a £50k car!

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Undecided too - like most accessories, I'm going to wait until we get the car although may get door opener markers in advance if p&p is cheap.

The problem I see with the fob is there is no key hole to put it and I suspect the car wont turn off when you move it away from the place it needs to be activated - i'll need to probably have someone explain it to me at service centre once I know what issue I want it to solve. I must admit, keyless entry etc is all rather alien to me and only two things I know about it are from inlaws (very hard of hearing) going for a walk leaving their car running and an AA chap who had a car drive off his loader because of some issue with it. So I am rather wary of it.

I’d like to get a key fob. It looks good, and it’s a use sequence that I’m used to. Then I can disable passive entry and not worry about that type of theft.

But I can’t see how to get one in the UK - we have no online Tesla store...

Undecided.

I’ll try the phone / card method and see how I get on with it for a few weeks before deciding.

Couple of queries.

1. Plenty of comments on the inconvenience of opening the charge port without the keyfob or the Tesla charger. Why is that? How exactly is the charge port opened without these devices?

2. How much is the keyfob?

Undecided.

I’ll try the phone / card method and see how I get on with it for a few weeks before deciding.

Couple of queries.

1. Plenty of comments on the inconvenience of opening the charge port without the keyfob or the Tesla charger. Why is that? How exactly is the charge port opened without these devices?

2. How much is the keyfob?

1. To unlock the chargepoint after charging (e.g. in the morning), you have to open the car door and unlock from the screen; or open the app on your phone or watch and ensure it connects to the vehicle and wakes the car, then go through the app screens to unlock the chargepoint; or have a Tesla charger installed with unlock button; or buy the fob and press the button.
None of these options are massively time consuming, but are a pain when carrying anything (e.g coffee and work bag in the morning)
2. I think about £100, but no uk store at present.

• Informative
Reactions: interbear
There’s a Tesla parts email address, I can’t find the thread it was mentioned on, where you email your order referencing the stock numbers of the stuff you want from the US store.

they ring you up to take payment then send you the stuff

email [email protected] and send them your RN number or VIN, postal address, and a telephone number, they should give you a call back, I ordered a 32A adapter, super quick delivery. Tesla chap that called back was very helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: NorfolkMustard
OK I emailed Tesla parts UK to order a key fob, but I got a reply email saying

“Unfortunately key fob’s are not currently available in the UK.”

Grrr

I think I may have liked one but was going to give phone and keycard a good go 1st. I suppose it’s all academic now. Though I dare say by the time they become available here I’ll be sure either way whether I would use one or not.

I have a model S loaner while my M3 is having minor delivery issues sorted. It is very nice having the key fob. Just walk up to the car and it unlocks, walk away and it locks. Pressing various parts causes unlocking / locking / opening...
But I understand from a US YouTube video that the M3 version does NOT have the proximity lock / unlock, you have to press buttons to lock and unlock.

I have a model S loaner while my M3 is having minor delivery issues sorted. It is very nice having the key fob. Just walk up to the car and it unlocks, walk away and it locks. Pressing various parts causes unlocking / locking / opening...
But I understand from a US YouTube video that the M3 version does NOT have the proximity lock / unlock, you have to press buttons to lock and unlock.
That's correct - it does not have the proximity unlock, but you'll be able to do that with your iPhone or Android device.

The main thing that appeals to me about the key fob is easy access to trunk, frunk, and charge port opening. Oh, and it looks super cool! Not sure it's worth the money though..

Reactions: Roy W.