Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Leasing UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone explain the differences (if any) between leasing direct from Tesla Financial Services versus a third party. My understanding is that third party leases mean you never see the vehicle in your app nor can you order upgrades yourself. Is this also the case when leasing though Tesla themselves? Just setting my expectations before delivery! Thanks

Can anyone explain the differences (if any) between leasing direct from Tesla Financial Services versus a third party. My understanding is that third party leases mean you never see the vehicle in your app nor can you order upgrades yourself. Is this also the case when leasing though Tesla themselves? Just setting my expectations before delivery! Thanks
You can see your car in the app whoever you lease with, and I'm virtually certain you cannot order upgrades whoever you lease with too.

So, only the price/total cost over term should be the decider.

From my understanding, with a third party, you see the vehicle in your app once it's delivered but not before. If you order direct from Tesla you can see the vehicle/order immediately under your account. Once you have the car everything is like for like between Tesla and third party e.g. booking repairs, upgrades, customer service etc. Again just my understanding though ...

For me the motivation for going with a third party was purely that it was cheaper than getting it directly through Tesla.

Reactions: bhav
Also have an order via NHS Knowles Fleet but haven't heard anything regarding this. Might give them a call to see.
I have ordered the Tesla with knowles but haven’t heard anything. Has ti really chase them for RN number. When did you order? I ordered mine on 18/7 but expected delivery in their website says 1/11.. although there is a big shipment of M3LR on the way .. apparently

I have ordered the Tesla with knowles but haven’t heard anything. Has ti really chase them for RN number. When did you order? I ordered mine on 18/7 but expected delivery in their website says 1/11.. although there is a big shipment of M3LR on the way .. apparently

I ordered 2nd July. Been the same date of expected 28th Sept for me since the beginning.

No RN (beyond knowles internal one) and no updates or anything beyond the weekly automated one from knowles. Nothing direct from tesla.

I've ordered a LR blue/black - no additionals. Hoping its true....but telling myself I've missed this quarter so I'm prepared at least.

I ordered 2nd July. Been the same date of expected 28th Sept for me since the beginning.

No RN (beyond knowles internal one) and no updates or anything beyond the weekly automated one from knowles. Nothing direct from tesla.

I've ordered a LR blue/black - no additionals. Hoping its true....but telling myself I've missed this quarter so I'm prepared at least.
Get in touch with knowles and find out what’s going on. I ordered through a leasing company on the 30th July and I have my delivery date set with tesla for the 24th sept. Same spec car as yours. I only got the vin after asking, no Reg number yet and never got the RN, but that seems consistent with many others..

Get in touch with knowles and find out what’s going on. I ordered through a leasing company on the 30th July and I have my delivery date set with tesla for the 24th sept. Same spec car as yours. I only got the vin after asking, no Reg number yet and never got the RN, but that seems consistent with many others..
That’s very lucky to have a delivery date already! Knowles people are helpful but you to have really chase them. They had apparently told Tesla not to do delivery before September☹️.. which Tesla Infomed me about but Knowles denied any knowledge Knowles update says delivery 1/11..

This is a long one but hopefully it helps others.

I ordered on 6/8. Expected delivery on their website says 23/11 but I have a confirmed pick up date with Tesla for the 09/09.
Before you blow your fuse as I would if I read this...

Credit to the nice folks on this forum happy to share information. I was able to work out that ordering with Knowles on 8/8 only meant they had sent the order to the leasing company on that day. It appears a number of leasing companies then sit on the order for 14 days to allow the cooling off period pass before placing the order.

The date on the knowles website works out to 3 months post your order date. And they say Tesla can take up to 3 weeks to provide an RN number. After calling Tesla it seemed unlikely as once your order is placed an RN number is created.

Knowing this only unsettled me as there's nothing more you can do. Calling Knowles will not help speed up the process. So I waited for the 14 days and chased knowles up.

15 days after the knowles email saying Car had been ordered, I received an email from Tesla regarding account setup and changing the password.

I then called Tesla and asked them to look up the order using my email address. They were able to tell me the order was placed that morning, (Confirmed by my friend who I used his referral link saying it now showed up on his account)
I asked for the RN number which I got and also informed I was matched 2 hours after the order was placed so expected delivery was end of September.

I was excited and just got off the phone. But then seen others receiving their cars gave me an itch and I started seeing cars showing as in London with my exact spec. So kept calling Tesla to see if I could be assigned one of those. Someone on here had mentioned ordering the car and then giving the lease company the RN number to get Tesla to match that and getting the £100 back. Not having any contact with Tesla I just didn't want to risk doing that.

I kept calling Tesla about cars I could see available with no luck until Friday. I was told there were cars matching my spec but the leasing company had to handle it.

I called Knowles and got a very helpful team who said to get the details of the cars from Tesla and they would have me transferred to that vehicle. Tesla gave me the VIN, I gave Knowles and they said they would do it on Friday. (I was keen for this to happen as the Bank holiday weekend was coming and I wanted it done ASAP)

Got back in touch with Tesla a few hours later and sorted out a pick up date for 9/9 in the morning.

Sent the information to Knowles as they stress they should be notified of any contact from Tesla. Just waiting now.

It's likely you've been assigned a car and it's coming but Knowles just haven't updated your file but I would chase up just in case.

I would definitely chase up in this instance and ask for your RN number. It's well over the 3 weeks they claim Tesla needs.

Exactly. I found dealing with knowles difficult because they are a go between and not the leasing company. Even more frustrating for me as I had said I was happy with different colours, and if one was available let me know before placing the order but they just ordered what I wanted even though there were inventory cars of different colour with the same price. Knowles insisted they had passed the information on to the leasing company but didn't seem to make any difference.

In conclusion, next time I would place my order with Knowles, and start looking at ordering from the inventory on Tesla. I would then give the RN to the leasing company and ask them to quote using that RN number. Get my refund as Tesla states you do once the leasing company has ordered your vehicle.

That’s very lucky to have a delivery date already! Knowles people are helpful but you to have really chase them. They had apparently told Tesla not to do delivery before September☹️.. which Tesla Infomed me about but Knowles denied any knowledge Knowles update says delivery 1/11..

Seeing posts like this is why I was keen to get my RN number. I've had a situation where i was waiting months thinking all was in hand only to find out at delivery time that comms had been dropped somewhere and order had not been placed. Now I follow up until I receive my order.

After reading replies (thank you all) - I've emailed Tesla directly to see if they can find my order using my email/account - hopefully shed some light on it all.

I know the order got to Tesla quickly - as I had the account set up process from Tesla on the 6th July (so 4 days after knowles said they had ordered it) - so not sure why people who ordered after me have been matched and I haven't had anything..... :-(

After reading replies (thank you all) - I've emailed Tesla directly to see if they can find my order using my email/account - hopefully shed some light on it all.

I know the order got to Tesla quickly - as I had the account set up process from Tesla on the 6th July (so 4 days after knowles said they had ordered it) - so not sure why people who ordered after me have been matched and I haven't had anything..... :-(

Seems like a sensible thing to do. It's possible you've already been matched but nothing wrong with checking.

Worth noting I didn't have any luck with emailing and the Web chat. I just called one of their numbers and spoke to someone.

There appear to be 2 M3LR blue/black showing in inventory now so you can ask about those.

Seems like a sensible thing to do. It's possible you've already been matched but nothing wrong with checking.

Worth noting I didn't have any luck with emailing and the Web chat. I just called one of their numbers and spoke to someone.

There appear to be 2 M3LR blue/black showing in inventory now so you can ask about those.

That has to be the first time I've actually seen LR in my exact config on the inventory page since I ordered......the logical part of my head says that if they have cars 'left over' in the inventory in transit then everyone who had ordered should have matched?!.....or is that being too hopeful?!!

That has to be the first time I've actually seen LR in my exact config on the inventory page since I ordered......the logical part of my head says that if they have cars 'left over' in the inventory in transit then everyone who had ordered should have matched?!.....or is that being too hopeful?!!

I think that's being hopeful.

I thought the same but then found when I called that there were cars with my specs and they were happy to just leave my date as is.

There doesn't seem to be a consistent technique to allocation and delivery as people have had different experiences.

Last edited:
I've previously seen a theory that car allocation may also given based on batches being delivered at a certain time based on full car transporter loads. So 'your' particular config may appear in inventory but be overlooked for an earlier order to a different SC if 'that' car can't be matched to a full load for 'yours'.

So after seeing cars matching my spec on the inventory I decided to ask Tesla about getting matched to one - turns out I’ve already been matched and will receive delivery directly from Tesla in September :D

Me too, a couple of my spec cars on inventory today. Contacted them this morning, still have no confirmed dates or anything apart from a VIN. Expected delivery is the end of September.

Model 3 leasers...

Assuming you have routine maintenance/servicing as part of your contract, exactly what and when during a typical 3 year lease do you approach your leasing company for new tyres/tyre rotation/new filters/wiper blades etc. ?
interesting question, tyres - usually when I've seen them close to the limit line (on my old non-tesla leases) filters etc, I'll probably look at them every year or so for replacement. Wiper blades - when they become ineffective (usually wiper blades are part of my replacement rather than service replacement)