Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
310 is correct for the LR AWD.

The 348 is the WLTP figure, based on a laboratory style test. You could easily achieve 348 if you drive the car very carefully.
Thank you.I charged to 309 miles last night and this morning it is showing as 307 miles.Car parked in garage with sentry mode off.Any idea what could be causing the loss of mileage when it is just parked?

Thank you.I charged to 309 miles last night and this morning it is showing as 307 miles.Car parked in garage with sentry mode off.Any idea what could be causing the loss of mileage when it is just parked?

There are certain aspects of the car that still need to be powered while it’s parked, so unless you keep it plugged in, it’s normal to lose a few miles overnight..

Reactions: dhrivnak and CMc1
I charged at home for the first time overnight last night.

Set at 90% and it charged to 281 miles, which is consistent with the 310 miles figure total. Which I’m fine with as that is, presumably, a real world figure that I can actually achieve. My assumption when buying the car was that the quoted figure of 348 miles would mean a real world figure of approx 300 miles, so good enough for me.

I charged at home for the first time overnight last night.

Set at 90% and it charged to 281 miles, which is consistent with the 310 miles figure total. Which I’m fine with as that is, presumably, a real world figure that I can actually achieve. My assumption when buying the car was that the quoted figure of 348 miles would mean a real world figure of approx 300 miles, so good enough for me.

Have a look at the range chart for some info on achievable range
Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

At the right speed 55-60mph and temperature the WLTP range is achievable in reality unless its all motorway miles its going to be rather hard to stick at this speed especially without being honked at a lot, at 70mph 300 miles should be achievabl though.

Reactions: m-i-l
Was charged up to 250 miles range yesterday but by the time I did 110 miles trip on motorway at speed limit +10-15%, it was 60 miles left on the gom. I have the p+ with 20" wheels and 4 people in the car with slight drizzle. I bit worrying cos going on a trip to Europe neXT month. Not sure if I can trust the range or do we need to go at 65 on the motorway?

• Disagree
Reactions: CMc1
I read somewhere (Could be trash?) that the car will workout over time your driving habit/style and the milage you are shown is what the car thinks you will get out of 100% or any % of battery at the time.

Best to show % on battery rather than miles/kilometers. This is my preference and does stop/reduce the amount you looking at the battery all the time :)

Reactions: CMc1
310 is correct for the LR AWD.

The 348 is the WLTP figure, based on a laboratory style test. You could easily achieve 348 if you drive the car very carefully.

Are you sure that s the right way around? the wltp was meant to give a better estimation of miles compared to nedc
https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/economical-cars/907/mpg-meaning-wltp-can-you-trust-the-new-fuel-economy-test
if what you are saying is right hen there's a third test to now take into account and the "supposed to be accurate test" is now just as bad as the old. would the old have given 400 for example?

so now im basically even more confused haha.

Sorry

Sorry i got the miles wrong in my original post.It is 309 miles last night and this morning it showing as 302 miles so lost 7 miles from last night and there is no sentry mode etc

Sounds like he car wasn't sleeping, for some reason I had this problem when I connected the car to a weak Wifi for the first time, I disconnected the wifi and the car went to sleep.

Perhaps worth signing up to Teslafi trial and you can see if the car is actually asleep or just idle, if its asleep then its shouldn't be using 1-2 miles per hour

Are you sure that s the right way around? the wltp was meant to give a better estimation of miles compared to nedc
https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/economical-cars/907/mpg-meaning-wltp-can-you-trust-the-new-fuel-economy-test
if what you are saying is right hen there's a third test to now take into account and the "supposed to be accurate test" is now just as bad as the old. would the old have given 400 for example?

so now im basically even more confused haha.

Yes it was meant to be better and more accurate which it is compared to that NEDC rating but real world driving is more like the EPA but WLTP is achievable on the road in the right circumstance but NEDC likely never was.

Sounds like he car wasn't sleeping, for some reason I had this problem when I connected the car to a weak Wifi for the first time, I disconnected the wifi and the car went to sleep.

Perhaps worth signing up to Teslafi trial and you can see if the car is actually asleep or just idle, if its asleep then its shouldn't be using 1-2 miles per hour
would you therefore recommend getting a wifi extender?

I read somewhere (Could be trash?) that the car will workout over time your driving habit/style and the milage you are shown is what the car thinks you will get out of 100% or any % of battery at the time.

Trash I’m afraid. The only time the car takes into account your historic driving is when you are using the energy graph whilst on a journey using the Nav.

The range displayed by miles is either the official rated or the range Tesla has predetermined the ‘typical’ for your variant of the car.

Get ready for a multitude of posts over the coming months ‘my car had 100 miles but I only got 65’ etc etc.

Reactions: davidmc
Not sure if I can trust the range or do we need to go at 65 on the motorway?

I recommend "planning" the trip using A Better Route Planner. it has a good reputation for being accurate, and if you hit bad traffic / roadworks that will improves range. Also set SatNav for next destination and view Energy : Trip to see prediction of energy on arrival. As soon as that starts to move below "comfort contingency" arrival prediction then slow down (or plan an additional charging stop).

Bad weather, in particular heavy rain, will be the one thing that could upset the plan. You still have to push all the water out of the way, so lowering speed only improves the aero-part, not the water part.

the car will workout over time your driving habit/style and the milage you are shown is what the car thinks you will get out of 100% or any % of battery at the time.

No, afraid not, it shows "typical miles", the only adjustment that I think it makes is battery degradation. Personally I use Percentage on dashboard as the miles don't mean anything - any more than they did on ICE.

I would still need to know the range at the end of the day. Until I figured out the range based on percentage

The Energy : Trip graph (once you have put next destination into SatNav) shows a prediction based on driving (adjusting for current trip, so if you are in a hurry on that trip then that will be reflected). My ICE in the past used to pretend that I had infinite range, and barely drop at all for the first quarter of the tank and then say "Fooled you" for the last quarter and drop like a stone. Energy : Trip doesn't do that, and IME is an extremely useful, and accurate

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and Fullerene
My ICE in the past used to pretend that I had infinite range, and barely drop at all for the first quarter of the tank and then say "Fooled you" for the last quarter and drop like a stone. Energy : Trip doesn't do that, and IME is an extremely useful, and accurate

I had that the other day I refilled with 60 miles to go to get home. I went from 480 in tank, passed 503 about 20 miles later than it started dropping. the next day I got in and had my usual full tank fo 430 to play with.... I had a ghost refilling my tank!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.