Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR - 210 miles on 100% charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My average energy consumption is 303 Wh/mi, so SilverSp33d3r might be right and it's a battery drain. I will try you suggestion. Thank you. Basically, the purpose of my post is to find out if I should go back to Tesla service and insist on a thorough diagnostics.

Actually its not vampire drain because vampire drain wont show up in your wh/mi figure. You have your answer right there. Wh/Mi of 303 will get no where near rated range. You need to be down around 220 or so I think for your car. You say " I dont drive that fast" or whatever, but the wh/mi usage says you are doing something to burn a lot of power.

If you take it back to tesla you will be completely 1000% wasting your time. I say that because tesla will tell you the same thing, that there is nothing wrong with your battery, because there isnt anything wrong with it based on the information you have currently provided.

Also lots of people make the mistake of thinking some variation of : " I only drive 30 miles a day, since this car gets 310 miles to a charge, I only need to charge it every 9 days", and it doesnt work like that.

Last edited:
The lifetime average for my Model 3 Performance with 20” aftermarket wheels (not as aerodynamic as the stock Tesla 20” wheels) is 303 wh/mile.

Your consumption is pretty high for your car’s configuration, and in all likelihood this is due to your driving style.

I did a 2-lane backroad road trip last week and averaged about 260 wh/mile, despite some VERY enthusiastic motoring. The key to that lower consumption was the lower average speed despite some really fast sections. That translates to about 260 miles of range, and I regularly did 215-230 miles with plenty of cushion.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The response of "this is not right" was because that person assumed that you were saying "My car only shows 210 miles when I charge it to 100%" If that person chooses to come back and post again, you will see that is the case.

To answer your question, yes, virtually everyone that owns this car has similar ACTUAL range depending on what speed they are driving, what the weather is, etc.

You asked this same question in Feburary in the "Tesla statement on range" thread, and the answer is the same as it was then.
Yeah, that's me, and yeah, the OP made it sound like his car showing 100% charge showed only 210 miles. But as I've read the rest of the thread, it seems he has a heavy foot. But to the others who say you can only get about 200 usable miles with a LR battery, that has definitely not been my experience on my long trips.

My average energy consumption is 303 Wh/mi, so SilverSp33d3r might be right and it's a battery drain. I will try you suggestion. Thank you. Basically, the purpose of my post is to find out if I should go back to Tesla service and insist on a thorough diagnostics.

If you don't have access to a charger at home or not charging everyday and using cabin overheat protection, sentry etc and doing multiple trips between charges and also following best practices in charging and not charging to 100% and going to 0%, my experience with my performance model 3 is, it is a 200 mile range vehicle from 90% down to 10%. I seem to get 40% for each 100 miles. My consumption is usually around 250-260Wh/mi. My lifetime average over 7500 miles is 252 Wh/mi. So with your consumption, the range you are getting is within norms and close to mine.

Not saying this is really OP's issue, but bad alignment could cause terrible consumption numbers, as the car burns off energy scraping the rubber from the tires.

As someone else pointed out... check your tire pressures cold, like before the car moves a half mile, and get them to 45psi. That certainly won't help any alignment issues, but it would cause some extra drag(like your 19" wheels)

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
No, I was confirmed by tesla to have ~12% battery degradation(214 Range Miles). My SR+ battery now holds 46.9 kwh on a full charge after 12,500 miles. Despite this I can get over 230 miles on a charge by driving carefully. Thanks for trying to discredit my simple advice to conserve power to improve range when choosing to use an EV like an ICE.

From my perspective the OP is driving their EV like a ICE, “fueling” it only when it gets low instead of daily waking up to a full charge. When driven like the ICE vehicle the range will be lower due to vampire drain as previously stated.

Whoa, when did I try to discredit your advice? This is the first I have interacted with you or any of your post as far as I can see...

You might not think you are driving fast but it's very easy to burn power.

Just accelerating briskly will put it over 300wh/mi. 60-65mph is low 200s, 70-75 is 250-260 and 80+ will be 280+.

I have a 9 mile commute. If I fly out of my driveway and burn it my first mile can touch 400+.
In the winter if I'm cranking on the heat and driving aggressively it can be around 300 by the time I get to work.
In the summer? On my most aggressive day I don't touch 275. No way. Usually I'm at 210-225.

To hit 303 in the summer the OP must be cranking on the car.

• Funny
As others said 303 average is high. Today driving to work, on the highway, I got 330 average at 77mph, BUT it was very windy. I can get 250 at 75mph on a windless drive.

If we are to believe the OP, 60% highway driving (meaning 40% local), 65mph, there is no way the average is 303 unless there is something wrong with the car. Do we know if the car gets plugged in every night? If not 210 miles of usable range makes sense. 270 miles displayed on a full charge is low also.

If OP is reading this, I suggest you look at the top sticky thread and try to fix the BMS.

EDIT: Doesn't look like OP plugs in every night because they said that they only drive 30 miles a day so how does the OP know he 'only gets 210 miles" on a full battery? Obviously by not plugging in every night and adding the miles across multiple days. Add in the high 303wh/m consumption, I can see why he's totally wrong about the "only 210 miles" OP's getting.

Last edited:
People have to understand that if you charge every few weeks that you won't come close to getting the 100% stated range.
I also would like to know how he computes the 210 mile range. One long trip or is that what the odometer adds up to when he eventually burned through 100% of charge.

• Helpful
Always odd when people insist that others do a complete diagnosis when they haven't done any real testing themselves. It doesn't work as you expect doing one thing over and over? Try something else... Take a road trip, charge it nightly, get an app that shows you more info from your car. Lots of steps to try before taking it back to the place where the professionals told you it was performing normally.

The longer you own the car the more you will know how it behaves.