Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my vin Monday, edd updated from 12/1-12/5 to 11/27-12-3. Looking like some progress is being made. On the other hand has anyone with a vin had trouble finding insurances that say the vin you provide is not a Tesla. One place said I had a 2022 corolla lol
Went through insurance yesturday. After a quote of $4200 from my insurer Liberty Mutual I paid for a policy with Progressive for $1100 annual. I had to tell Liberty three times there were no cylinders it is electric. ROFL

With all the technology hype around Tesla, you would really think that they would be better about giving a reasonable delivery estimate. If they told me when I hit purchase that I would be waiting at least 4 months, I may not like it, but I could get my head around it. The dangling of the EDD carrot every month only to keep pushing it back is making me feel like I'm in a Charlie Brown Tesla special trying to kick the football.

Date Changing Woes

So i'm taking delivery tomorrow and was told to bring my "Insurance card with my new Tesla VIN" i guess for proof. I haven't updated my insurance with the tesla VIN because i have not recieved the car yet, so i'm a little confused. Can i just bring my current insurance card with my current car's info (not Tesla)? Will that suffice?

So i'm taking delivery tomorrow and was told to bring my "Insurance card with my new Tesla VIN" i guess for proof. I haven't updated my insurance with the tesla VIN because i have not recieved the car yet, so i'm a little confused. Can i just bring my current insurance card with my current car's info (not Tesla)? Will that suffice?
It depends on the state. Few of them like Cali dont need the car VIN on the insurance.

Reactions: geekxism
No. Your insurance rep can provide proof of insurance if you give him/her the VIN and make it effective on delivery day

I, too, am taking delivery tomorrow. I called my insurance agent yesterday and gave him the VIN and lender information and he emailed an insurance card to me. I'm all set. You need to have the proof of insurance in order to take delivery.

Reactions: KB24MAN
Florida passed a new law in October requiring VIN specific insurance. They can add the vehicle on before, but yes you will need proof showing it is insured.

Reactions: KB24MAN
I called my insurance guy after getting my VIN. He emailed me a "Binder of Insurance" that is good for 30 days which I was able to upload to the Tesla site as proof of insurance.

Reactions: KB24MAN and rexki
Well to add to the confusing SA responses: I asked today about all the confusing Web/App changes (told him I’m sure he’s as much along for the ride with Tesla as I am) but he said “the dates are an estimate for when you get a VIN, then your delivery will narrow after that”.

So not EDD but EVD? Back office not telling the front office anything is what it is I imagine.

Got my VIN (112313) yesterday 11/18/21 early morning with an email notice!!
It needs to be insured when you get it. Pretty much the only way to do that is to insure early. I already added mine to my insurance 4 days before pickup. The price is only like $10 a day.
Man I hope you are not a $10/day - 3,650 annual premium, hoping you meeant 1 - 1.50 per day - mine is $420 /year with 2,500 deductibles - eSurance (Allstate)

Last edited:
Got my VIN yesterday 11/18/21 early morning with an email notice!!

Man I hope you are not a $10/day - 3,650 annual premium, hoping you meeant 1 - 1.50 per day - mine is $420 /year with 2,500 deductibles - eSurance (Allstate)
Yea, should'nt have listed an actual ammount. It will be different for everyone. The point was it's small ammount for a few days of non-ownership.

I also forgot to mention that I did that when I had a 3 day range, for ease. Once you have your delivery set, you can insure the car with an effective date. :)

Reactions: rexki
Just a small update. One of my colleagues has ordered M3LR blue/black/18/no fsd back on 10/1/21 and today they will take delivery.

My M3LR Black/White/19"/no fsd is still showing 12/19 - 12/31 EDD. The order date is 9/3/21
My guess if it were a performance you would have already be driving for 40 days! Performance specs move through the queue in double speed.

Reactions: Mandarin