Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my VIN and vision agreement today!!
M3LR Black/White/Aero/no FSD
Sparks, NV Delivery
OD 10/13
Original EDD 11/26-12/24
11/13: 11/18-12/2
Now: 11/24-11/28

I thought about putting it on hold first to wait and see how the BBB will play out. But seeing the amount of ppl on queue I say screw it. Accept the car and enjoy it! Once they get the 4680 version in production then I’ll just upgrade. Hopefully battery prices gets cheaper around that time and have the tax credits as well! (if ever it’ll pass)
Finally scheduled my pickup at the delivery center on Monday Nov 29. Got a text after that my model 3 is actually ready and I can pickup at an earlier date lol what a tease! But I still have to get an updated proof of insurance with VIN which my agent is working on and make sure due payment goes through. Overall it took a month and a half from OD which is not bad.

Reactions: 7rugby
Picked up a beautiful, no panel gap (Including the rear lift) or other issue 2022 M3LR (as an engineer, I went over it with a fine tooth comb). Got a nice 2 hour drive home, and holy smokes the car is awesome.

Autopilot was super nice for the drive home. I expected it to bail out in any city, which it did, but for long stretches of road it is super nice. Super weird to have the car drive.

M3LR, Blue/Black, 18 aero, no fsd
Order date: 9/30 in Pennsylvania
Original EDD: 11/5-12/5
Second EDD: 11/15-11/29
Third EDD: 11/24-11/30
Last EDD: 11/21-11/26
DD: 11/26
I'm so excited. Pick mine up in NJ on Monday morning. Flying down and looking forward to the 5 hour solo road trip home. It's nice hearing about experiences like yours. I'm also an engineer, and my perfectionism and anxiety creep in and remind me of stories on this forum of not so great first rides that result in a major malfunction in the first 25 miles. I don't have the luxury of being near a service center so I'm praying for a good pickup.

Reactions: 7rugby
Got the "Schedule Delivery" notice just now. Honestly still up in the air if I should push it for another month for the Build Back Better bill or just pick it up and get it over with.

I assume if I schedule and pick up the bill will pass the next day, if I wait the bill will be hung in the Senate for months before eventually being killed haha.

I see a few people still picking up vs waiting. Let me know your opinions!

Reactions: ThePlankeEye
Got the "Schedule Delivery" notice just now. Honestly still up in the air if I should push it for another month for the Build Back Better bill or just pick it up and get it over with.

I assume if I schedule and pick up the bill will pass the next day, if I wait the bill will be hung in the Senate for months before eventually being killed haha.

Pick it up!

I'm so excited. Pick mine up in NJ on Monday morning. Flying down and looking forward to the 5 hour solo road trip home. It's nice hearing about experiences like yours. I'm also an engineer, and my perfectionism and anxiety creep in and remind me of stories on this forum of not so great first rides that result in a major malfunction in the first 25 miles. I don't have the luxury of being near a service center so I'm praying for a good pickup.
Good Luck Morse! I just picked mine up in Springfield, NJ today. No panel gaps and the only issue I had was wind noise was really obvious when I drove back home on a highway. I did the checklist and didn't see anything wrong with the window, but just realized when I was at 65-70mph, I could hear the wind noise very loud on the rear passenger door. I stopped at the side and saw the very tiny gap/opening near the weatherstrip. Going to get service hopefully soon and hope they fix it. Hope everything goes well with the pick-up and safe travel back to Maine.

Reactions: Arrax and morsecp

I'm ordering my 3 tomorrow and delivery won't happen until Feb, 2022. Yes, I wouldn't want to take delivery today knowing the tax credit is a possibility. If it doesn't happen, that's fine also.

Just wait lol. The bill is most likely going to be retroactive starting Jan 1 2022, regardless of when it passes since it’s for the 2022 tax year. If it doesn’t pass somehow (which I doubt) oh well, but if it does you just saved your self 8 grand. Worth it imo.

Reactions: Paul4343
When did you place your order?

I'm curious if anyone else has run in to this.

Yes, Tesla is not so together about delivery and customer service. Calling your sales advisor might help. Do try to take it in stride and bemusement. The car will be great.

You can see more stories in this thread.

In my case, they scheduled delivery for the first MVPA for Dec. 26 then didn't show up. For the 3rd MVPA, they texted me to expect factory pickup on new year's eve, then called to tell me to wait until they're ready, then went radio silent. I called a couple days later and got the car delivered within hours but missed the 2019 federal rebate.

Reactions: Jo060
Any defects in particular to be on the lookout for given the experience?
Ok. You asked for it. Grab a drink and dive in:

Check all the gaps between panels - doors/frames, trunk, frunk, etc.
Look for paint scratches, dings, underspray, thin spots, rubbed or worn areas like from tarps or hold downs
Check interior trim for matches, stains, smears, cracks
Ensure all lights work inside and out
Look underneath, look for scrapes and breaks in the skid plates
Check tires and rims for obvious damage
Obviously you should have the charging adapter and plug, J1772 adapter
Crank up sound system with an FM station. Blast it a bit. Sounds good, don't it?
By law you should have Pedestrian warning, in reverse you get the "woowoowoo", you SHOULD get a noise when driving forward <19MPH
Ensure all USB outlets have innards (I think this was a temporary aberration, Tesla fixed them right quick)
Look in frunk and trunk for trim. You should have a tow hook in frunk
Look for the front license plate bracket if it isn't installed. Mine is still in the trunk. The plate is in the glovebox. Your mileage may vary,
most of the Teslas I see don't use the front plate. I've been stopped twice (for obviously bogus reasons <harrumph>, and lack of front
plate hasn't been mentioned here in Texas. Again, YMMV.
Ensure you can communicate with the car by bluetooth
Make sure both your cards are programmed.
Ensure charging door opens and closes from the screen, from the app, and from the charging handle.
New Model 3s should have wireless charging, I believe
Also should have power trunk open/close
Sight down sides of car, look for obvious misalignment
Ensure all 3 mirrors are dimmable (You should see slight change in color around rim of mirror. They tried to hose me on The Blue Bunny).
Go over all the upholstery, look for scuffs, stains, discoloration, etc.
Inspect the glass roof panels from inside and out.
Go through several functions in screen, make sure no dead pixels, shading or issues with screen

When you get it on the road, check for wheel alignment - the car shouldn't turn on its own...
Drive on a rough street or road but be careful of gravel and rocks. Check out the ride. It's a little stiff in a Model 3. Oh well...
Find a nice stretch of clear highway and stand on it. See how it accelerates BUT HAVE A CARE! If you haven't experienced launching in a Tesla, be prepared to get pressed into your seat.
Watch your speed. To me I felt the car was going at nominal speed, looked down and I was doing 105.
Listen for anything you think might be abnormal. Maybe make a recording.

When you get home, RTFM! If you have a few days before delivery, you can download the manual to take your mind off waiting. Read it. Really. There's stuff in there you won't readily find elsewhere, and you might find an Easter Egg or two.
Then go through every page and set or reset EVERY item to your preferences. Set max charge to 80 or 90 depending on your particular religious persuasion.
Learn how to reset the screen (the two button method). Go ahead and power down the car and bring it up again. Really. Tends to fix problems.
And make sure the brightness is set to at least 30 in manual then engage automatic. The first TURO Tesla I rented, at dusk the screen went blank. I pulled over and with oblique light I was able to find the slider and raise the brightness. Then I cleaned out my shorts and continued.
Humorous anecdote: I had stopped at the Ft. Worth Supercharger to top off enroute Abilene. I had probably 20 minutes and 30 miles total time. Plugged in for the first time, settled down to read the manual and - HOLY *sugar*! I SMELL SMOKE! I set Condition Panic aboard ship, exited the car at the speed of light, only to discover there is a BBQ joint on the other side of the fence. Still living that one down...

Learn how to get into car wash mode. be careful, if you are on a slope, the car will roll. Learn how to put the car in Neutral, learn how to put the car in Park.
I am sure you will not have many if any issues. But if you see something, speak up. Take notes and PICTURES.
I found a dimple in the frame above the drivers door, it was a round dent, but paint was OK. Missed that one. Mentioned it 3 months later, they fixed it for fee, no hassle.
The TACC may take up to 100 miles to calibrate. Don't play with TACC until you have a couple of hours as Pilot In Command before you check it out.
I can't speak for FSD, alas, I am not a fan of same.
I may get some flak on this, but for at least the first 3-6 months, wash the car by hand. Two bucket method. I am convinced the paint will cure as the car ages,
it just seems a little soft at first. After about a year I went to the carwash at Grapevine Supercharger. The manager is a former detailer at the Dallas delivery center. They use soft cloth cleaners, and clean them morning Noon and afternoon. TGSV and TBB looked factory fresh with a once a month "The Works". But check out the car ash yourself. Get the car fully cleaned and clayed then waxed and POLISHED every 6 months if you can. Remember, Real Men Wash Their Own Cars...

Learn how to use the charging adapter. Plug it into a convenient 110V outlet. You should see it charge as about 11-12 amps, 6 MPH.
Set the wireless internet to your system if you are in range. That's the channel for getting upgrades. I had to put a wireless extender in the outlet next to the car and it worked fine. You'll probably get notification of a software update overnight. YMMV.

Check out Abstract Ocean, Evannex, and any of the other supporters of TMC. Show a little love. YouTube has a ton of great videos with howtos and general knowledge. Checkout Teslatap for their charging guide. I use a 50 Amp circuit on a Wall Charging Adapter for TGSV only because I need to be charged up all the time as I am on call to go fix broken transmitters 40-50 miles away at a moment's notice. The Blue Bunny has never known anything but 110V/15A, and is doing well, thank you.

Buy your new friend a nice welcome home gift. The personalized license plate frame and the upgraded puddle lights are a good start. The cup holder inserts are nice, those things are a bear to clean out if you get a leaky/sweaty cup.

The original Good Ship Venus looked factory new when I sold it after 19 months and 25K miles. And it lived outside, alas. It is now a TURO car and gets high marks for looks.

And remember, you will get answers here from folks who are as passionate about your new car as you. In my world, there are no dumb questions.

Sorry for the long post. It's late and I get even more wordy. Read through the above and see that it's mostly common sense. But please, Read The Fine Manual.

Bottom line, you are very VERY likely to get an almost perfect car when The Day comes. Take a deep breath, and enjoy the moment. Commit it to memory. Like your first big date. But better. Lots better. The pain around your mouth from The Tesla Grin will eventually fade, but TTG never fades.

It is considered polite to wave or blink your lights at an oncoming Tesla, and of course a smile and wave at the kindred soul in the one pulled up next to you is good on any occasion. It is, however, considered gauche to honk. Annoys the riffraff, don'tcha know?

Bottom line, the folks at the Service/Delivery Centers really want you to be happy. Tell them your concerns and I betcha you will be pleased with the results.
I gave the guys each a Whataburger gift card. It couldn't hoit!
Hope this helps!

Yours for Better Television,
-- Doc

Last edited:
I'm curious if anyone else has run in to this.

I ordered a M3LR back in the beginning of October, received the VIN in November with a delivery date of 11/22 from 1-3pm. Fairly short wait, everything was going as expected.
On 11/21 (day before delivery:mad:), I received a text saying the car didn't show up and the delivery date is being pushed back to 12/1 until further.

Since the SC here isn't great, I called Tesla the next day to gather more information. The lady said that USB-C PLUGS were never installed (which I heard has been happening) and they are working on fixing the problem before shipping.

I initiated a chat with Tesla the other day with a different question but also asked again about delivery. The person said there was never an issue with the vehicle and its currently on a train with a 11/28 delivery date.

Today I started another chat with Tesla and was told he doesn't have access to that information but the car may still be in assembly and has a December delivery date.

What in the world is going on?
I've already paid the down payment, sold my car, and am paying insurance on a vehicle that I don't own and may not exist.

I completely understand that delivery dates move around and that's to be expected. But when a date/time was set up and now I'm getting a different answer from everyone... That's unacceptable.

Has anyone experienced this?

TL;DR
SC said car never arrived and moved delivery date. Tesla is giving me different answers and doesn't seem to know where the vehicle is.
I kindasorta had a similar issue with The Good Ship Venus. Something about truck being delayed between W. Memphis rail yard and Dallas.
I won't apologize for Tesla's lack of communicatory skills. It is what it is. My wife advised me to put a paper bag over my head and breathe deeply.
About all I can tell you is to lie back, relax, and think of England. Once you drive it away, you'll forget the bad parts.

Woops! It's now Saturday. 6 days to go. Thinking of England...

Reactions: Jo060
It’s been 10 days since I sold my 2020 M3 and my delivery Appointment for a ‘22 M3 LR is Monday 11/29 in West Palm Beach, FL.

TIRES - I ordered the 18” Aeros this time. For those receiving cars recently, COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE WHAT IS THE TIRE MAKE & MODEL FOR THE 18 inch Aero THAT YOU HAVE BEEN GETTING? Thank you.

Reactions: aaronkase
Has anyone else had an issue where they “delayed” their delivery (they scheduled it for 11/21; but we’ve been on a cruise from 11/19-11/27…they said they couldn’t reschedule, only put us “on hold” until 11/26) and now when I look at my EDD; it’s February 2022..I thought when you came “off hold” you were basically “next up”, rather than just going back in the general pool (like I basically just placed my order today)

Has anyone else had an issue where they “delayed” their delivery (they scheduled it for 11/21; but we’ve been on a cruise from 11/19-11/27…they said they couldn’t reschedule, only put us “on hold” until 11/26) and now when I look at my EDD; it’s February 2022..I thought when you came “off hold” you were basically “next up”, rather than just going back in the general pool (like I basically just placed my order today)

i think nobody actually knew what happened when you were taken "off hold" some people reported being next up and some moving to the back of the line... i think it depend on the build you had... more common configs like white/black/aeros are prob easier to come by

i think nobody actually knew what happened when you were taken "off hold" some people reported being next up and some moving to the back of the line... i think it depend on the build you had... more common configs like white/black/aeros are prob easier to come by
Unfortunately I figured that would happen…when I ordered it said “December”, so I planned for 12/1..Tesla wanted to delivery 11/21 with NO exceptions. (Literally if they’d of allowed 7 days I’d of been ready)
Ohh well; I just hope when I reapply for the loan I get as good of a rate.

It’s been 10 days since I sold my 2020 M3 and my delivery Appointment for a ‘22 M3 LR is Monday 11/29 in West Palm Beach, FL.

TIRES - I ordered the 18” Aeros this time. For those receiving cars recently, COULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE WHAT IS THE TIRE MAKE & MODEL FOR THE 18 inch Aero THAT YOU HAVE BEEN GETTING? Thank you.
Took delivery on 11/20 and tires on 18" Aeros are Michelin Primacy mxm4.

The way it was explained to me: you ARE next up… behind everyone else who put their orders on hold. They don’t hold or store your particular car for you (the one you were assigned that triggered the delivery process), it is reassigned to someone else who ordered the same config as you, and is very willing to accept the car right now.

With that said, you will get reassigned a car when your config next becomes available. If a car happens to be sitting in a truck or a train in your area, you get assigned that. If there’s nothing, then you wait until a car with your config rolls off the production line. And with all the holds, new orders, and others willing to accept delivery now, there isn’t really any assurance that you’ll get a car immediately after you come off your hold.