Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything I have seen in both subforums (model 3 and Y) suggests the same thing, that AMD processor goes with new Li Ion battery.

Tesla has a real case of the "osborne effect" happening here, imo, but they didnt cause it themselves. They actually try to prevent it by not telling anyone about upgrades, which is how a company prevents the very real osborne effect consequences. This being 2022 however, you cant hide anything for very long.

For those unaware of what that is, its basically a manufacturer has "the new thing" and people want it so will no longer buy "the old thing" without consessions.

True for this forum but I would be willing to bet a majority of new Tesla owners have no idea which battery or MCU processor are in their car. Makes it easy for Tesla to just give those cars with the older equipment to the next person in line if the car is refused.

True for this forum but I would be willing to bet a majority of new Tesla owners have no idea which battery or MCU processor are in their car. Makes it easy for Tesla to just give those cars with the older equipment to the next person in line if the car is refused.

Also true, but... anyone searching online about just about anything tesla in the US is going to get a google hit from this forum at this point. I also think the "typical tesla buyer" is more likely to do internet searching about the car, than the "typical ICE car driver" simply because they may be wondering "How do I do X with an EV"?

I do think they can re assign them and probably just do that till someone keeps them. From a business perspective, much cheaper than offering concessions or something, and there are people who wont be looking online. I just think tesla vehicles attract a higher volume of people who either identify as "tech types" or who want to be.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 107
New to the club:)

M3LR/ MSM/Black Interior/ Aero/ No FSD/ Mass
OD: 2/7
EDD 1: March 2022
EDD 2: March 8 - March 31

Was really looking into the VIN situation along with the new features and I’m unsure of what the current stance is. Seems like the trend is AMD and new Li battery are equipped on 160XXX+ but I’ve seen exceptions. I’m assuming I should be getting the new features but would appreciate feedback. Was also wondering if the anyone has actually received the heated windshield or rear laminated windows?

Reactions: CarlThompson
New member here but have been lurking for a long time while waiting for my order. I received my Model 3 LR VIN yesterday 175XXX and wasn't even going to check on the chip/battery assuming it would have the upgraded components. After seeing some of those comments this morning I decided to reach out to Tesla to verify and I was told my "Infotainment" is AMD but the battery is the older battery. I also reached out to my SA via text and was told the same thing.

Everything I've seen so far suggests the LI-ION battery/MCU go hand in hand so either I'm a unicorn or the info on one of those components is incorrect.
I think I saw this in one of the earlier posts when we were in the 15xxxx range that someone had the new chip but old 12V battery. Really strange that they do this mix but most likely they want to exhaust all parts at hand which in the current supply-chain shortage is understandable. In my case I confirmed via text message that my 170xxx has both the new chip and new battery but I will now definitely double-check before handing over my certified check at delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maple00 and cmy4x4
Yeah I won't be picking it up for 2 weeks so I'll update everyone then whether it's a Frankenstein. I was surprised to see both my SA and and Tesla customer service agent confirm the same thing independently.
Yeah, I actually think (or hope) they have gotten much better in getting the right info out. In my case, I had a total of three VINs assigned and for all three I communicated via text messages. For the first two VINs the answer I got was that they did have the Intel chip and 12V lead acid battery. For the last VIN I again asked explicitly about the two updates and the wording I got was "the vehicle has both components" so fingers crossed now that it is indeed the case. I will provide an update once I see the car on Feb 26.

Reactions: Paul4343
Hello Everyone, Have been lurking here since I placed my order in Dec, with the occasional post. Have enjoyed all the discussions and knowledge shared here. I got my VIN out of the blue this afternoon and am scrambling to get everything together :). OD - 12/8, Red, Black seats, 18" Aero wheels. Current EDD - 2/26-3/3. VIN is 175XX. Have texted SA to ask about Chip/Battery and rear windows. Will let you all know once I hear back.

Tesla has a real case of the "osborne effect" happening here, imo, but they didnt cause it themselves. They actually try to prevent it by not telling anyone about upgrades, which is how a company prevents the very real osborne effect consequences.

For every business decision there are pros and cons. Tesla made the business decision to not have traditional model versions (= model years usually) where everyone is on the same page, everyone knows what's in a particular version and all customers know exactly which version their money is buying. Tesla made the decision to instead make upgrades when they can piecemeal I suspect because it gives them flexibility dealing with their supply chain partners, because that flexibility gives them flexibility about how and when they retool their lines and because not having discreet versions allows them to not discount older models. But that decision also leads to situations like this; because customers are not buying any particular version they can gamble by delaying their orders in hopes of getting upgrades.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree. Tesla DID cause it themselves. This is a natural consequence of Tesla's own decisions. They reap the positive benefits but also own the negative consequences.

I also disagree that companies keeping a current product a secret and not telling customers exactly what's in the product they're currently buying is at all normal. What other companies do is not tell customers what's in the NEXT version. What Tesla is doing is not telling customers what's in the current product they'll get after they've paid!

For every business decision there are pros and cons. Tesla made the business decision to not have traditional model versions (= model years usually) where everyone is on the same page, everyone knows what's in a particular version and all customers know exactly which version their money is buying. Tesla made the decision to instead make upgrades when they can piecemeal I suspect because it gives them flexibility dealing with their supply chain partners, because that flexibility gives them flexibility about how and when they retool their lines and because not having discreet versions allows them to not discount older models. But that decision also leads to situations like this; because customers are not buying any particular version they can gamble by delaying their orders in hopes of getting upgrades.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree. Tesla DID cause it themselves. This is a natural consequence of Tesla's own decisions. They reap the positive benefits but also own the negative consequences.

I also disagree that companies keeping a current product a secret and not telling customers exactly what's in the product they're currently buying is at all normal. What other companies do is not tell customers what's in the NEXT version. What Tesla is doing is not telling customers what's in the current product they'll get after they've paid!

Those are very good points, and I would have to say that after reading them, I agree with your position here on both accounts.

Yeah, I actually think (or hope) they have gotten much better in getting the right info out. In my case, I had a total of three VINs assigned and for all three I communicated via text messages. For the first two VINs the answer I got was that they did have the Intel chip and 12V lead acid battery. For the last VIN I again asked explicitly about the two updates and the wording I got was "the vehicle has both components" so fingers crossed now that it is indeed the case. I will provide an update once I see the car on Feb 26.
I texted "Can you please confirm that my VIN XXXXXX168XXX has the AMD Rayzen Chip and the LV Lithium-Ion Battery? Thank you" About 10 min later I got a text saying "Hi, your vehicle is equipped accordingly"

So I am guessing that is a Yes to my questions....but not 100 sure to be honest, kind of a weird way of saying Yes your car has the new chip and battery. Kind of sounds like a canned response they are being told to say.

This is my third VIN as well. I passed on the 2nd VIN which was 153XXX because it had the older components. Was on hold but got a 2/10 cancellation email from Tesla so I removed it last week. The battery and wipers aren’t important to me, so as long as it has the MCU like I was told, I’ll be accepting the car.

Reactions: Misslove_143
I texted "Can you please confirm that my VIN XXXXXX168XXX has the AMD Rayzen Chip and the LV Lithium-Ion Battery? Thank you" About 10 min later I got a text saying "Hi, your vehicle is equipped accordingly"

So I am guessing that is a Yes to my questions....but not 100 sure to be honest, kind of a weird way of saying Yes your car has the new chip and battery. Kind of sounds like a canned response they are being told to say.

In my case the answer was "It has both components"

Looks like we really need to double-check when taking delivery.

Not talked about as much because a lot of RV enthusiast use the 14-50, therefore there are an abundance of accessories, extension cords etc if ever needed.
The NEMA 6-50 is typically associated with welding machines, so it's not really all that rare.

Out of curiosity, I finally replied to the Welcome text message, and asked for an estimate when I'd see a VIN. My current EDD is Feb 24 - Mar 24, so it could be any day now, theoretically.

I was told "within the first two weeks of March". Ouch. I guess that would really shrink my window to more like Mar10 - Mar24
😭