Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! Aren't they always "born" just before we get our VINs?
There are folks who have posted VINs as high as 201xxx already, so thousands of cars were built and assigned after this one was built, but before it was assigned to me. That strongly suggests that either it was rejected by someone, or there was something causing the delay in its assignment.

Reactions: BMWM3Man
For what it’s worth, I had chosen 3rd party financing option when initially ordering. I called and asked them if everything looked ok and finished, because the Complete profile was still unchecked. The SA said it all “looked good”.

Several days later, it was still unchecked and that just didn’t sit right with me, so I called back. A few sentences in to my question, the SA jumped in and said “I’ve changed you to “cash” for now…just call us back to fix it to 3rd part finance once you get the vin…the way it was, you would be stuck waiting because the profile was incomplete.” After hanging up, the profile then showed complete…

Make double sure the complete profile is “checked off”…

Just my experience with this whole thing…yes, it is quite bizarre (all of it)
Had you completed the financing application?

How are you "watching" orders be placed in real time?
I ended up in this thread because of a spreadsheet that was created to track delivery time frames. It’s not in “real time” per se, but assuming people report their info once their VIN is assigned accurately, I’d say it’s pretty close.

Reactions: DC_Wheels52
The woman I spoke to on the 800-number tonight was much more helpful than the guy taking care of his baby the other day. 🤣
She got my order set back to trade-in 'yes' and payment as third-party financing in just a few seconds.

Started getting texts about my trade-in before I was even off the phone. After replying with trade-in VIN, Make, model, odometer and registration zip code, they texted to stand by to submit pictures. I did that once already, so I'm interested to see if I actually do need to submit new pictures (besides the updated odometer) because it already says "Trade-in Valuation in progress"

Last edited:
Had you completed the financing application?
So, good question. The short answer is, not at first.

With third party financing, the entire loan application process is done outside of Tesla. Given the erratic, unpredictable nature of the EDDs, the timing of starting the financing approval is tricky. I didn’t want to do it right out of the gate and risk the approval expiring, thus having to start over (with an addition hard credit pull).

However, once I became a bit more confident that I would get a car within a month or so, I applied with my credit union. When they approved the loan, they had the ability to upload that directly to my Tesla account…when they did, it “switched” my payment back to 3rd part financing, but this time, the profile showed complete.

Eventually, I got a vin.

Graduation Day!

Today's delivery in Indy was flawless. I arrived 30 minutes early and found my car by walking around the lot. She was unlocked and hooked up to a Level 2 charger and was at 87%, so I did an external visual inspection (paint was fine, gaps were fine, nothing was awry) and looked underneath for any evidence of scrapes or rough handling. Everything checked out.

The MSM color in daylight is amazing! It almost looks like it changes color depending on the angle of the light... Dark silver, gray, even a dusky purple.

With a 196xxx VIN, I confirmed the Ryzen chip, the Li-Ion 12v, heated wipers, and (lol) power trunk. Haven't confirmed/denied dual pane rear glass, but I'm guessing I don't have that.

The car came with 4 miles. 21,000 feet. Drove it 80+ miles home, stopping at the Speedway Supercharger to test connectivity. No problems. Pulled in next to a Model Y and we chatted for the 10 minutes I was connected - nice guy.

The drive home was a dream. I found out that I could not disengage regen braking which at first concerned me.... I had never even test-driven a Tesla before buying my Model 3 today, and with heavy traffic, a mix of highway, rural, city, and construction zone driving awaiting, I really wanted my first drive to be predictable. Alas, regen on/off was not an option, so I had to suck it up and learn it.

An hour later, I'm now an expert. By the time I got home I had learned how to navigate traffic lights, stop signs, turns, etc without once touching the brake pedal. Thumbs up!

The only flaw at all that I found was that a little bit of condensation had built up in the rear passenger brake light. I went ahead and submitted a service request - their mobile fixit man is dropping by the house on Tuesday to make it right.

Can wait to really dig into the car this week and learn what it can do. The acceleration is amazing, and I took it for a spin and got it up to 120 in practically no time. I am taking pilot lessons and my ground school includes a class being taught my by airport's ops manager ... We're gonna take the M3LR onto a runway and do some sprint runs. As long as I let him drive it, I can get to drive it there too. :)

Any questions?

Attachments

• IMG_20220305_125616635.jpg
    IMG_20220305_125616635.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20220305_125919986_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220305_125919986_HDR.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220305_183454461.jpg
    IMG_20220305_183454461.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 72
Graduation Day!

Today's delivery in Indy was flawless. I arrived 30 minutes early and found my car by walking around the lot. She was unlocked and hooked up to a Level 2 charger and was at 87%, so I did an external visual inspection (paint was fine, gaps were fine, nothing was awry) and looked underneath for any evidence of scrapes or rough handling. Everything checked out.

The MSM color in daylight is amazing! It almost looks like it changes color depending on the angle of the light... Dark silver, gray, even a dusky purple.

With a 196xxx VIN, I confirmed the Ryzen chip, the Li-Ion 12v, heated wipers, and (lol) power trunk. Haven't confirmed/denied dual pane rear glass, but I'm guessing I don't have that.

The car came with 4 miles. 21,000 feet. Drove it 80+ miles home, stopping at the Speedway Supercharger to test connectivity. No problems. Pulled in next to a Model Y and we chatted for the 10 minutes I was connected - nice guy.

The drive home was a dream. I found out that I could not disengage regen braking which at first concerned me.... I had never even test-driven a Tesla before buying my Model 3 today, and with heavy traffic, a mix of highway, rural, city, and construction zone driving awaiting, I really wanted my first drive to be predictable. Alas, regen on/off was not an option, so I had to suck it up and learn it.

An hour later, I'm now an expert. By the time I got home I had learned how to navigate traffic lights, stop signs, turns, etc without once touching the brake pedal. Thumbs up!

The only flaw at all that I found was that a little bit of condensation had built up in the rear passenger brake light. I went ahead and submitted a service request - their mobile fixit man is dropping by the house on Tuesday to make it right.

Can wait to really dig into the car this week and learn what it can do. The acceleration is amazing, and I took it for a spin and got it up to 120 in practically no time. I am taking pilot lessons and my ground school includes a class being taught my by airport's ops manager ... We're gonna take the M3LR onto a runway and do some sprint runs. As long as I let him drive it, I can get to drive it there too. :)

Any questions?
Same configuration I ordered. She looks beautiful. Congrats

Question... is there a way to make sure financing has been fully secured and Tesla has the money? I did 3rd party financing. I have VIN assigned, made a down payment, and have the pickup date and time scheduled (next Wednesday). The amount due shown on my Completed Tasks page says $0.00. Do I need to bring my loan documents to the pickup? I just don't want to get to the pickup and find out they don't have the loan money from my bank.

Thanks.

Question... is there a way to make sure financing has been fully secured and Tesla has the money? I did 3rd party financing. I have VIN assigned, made a down payment, and have the pickup date and time scheduled (next Wednesday). The amount due shown on my Completed Tasks page says $0.00. Do I need to bring my loan documents to the pickup? I just don't want to get to the pickup and find out they don't have the loan money from my bank.

Thanks.
If you aren’t sure, call or text someone at the delivery center and they can confirm. Also if your bank sent a check as opposed to electronic transfer they should hopefully have tracking info.

Reactions: photogwa
It’s not too bad really for me either. I looked up Ohios gas tax. That $200 fee’s break even point is about 8,000-10,000 miles worth of driving depending on your current mpg.
When I was boasting that my M3 will cost less than 1/5th in "fuel" what I spent on gas on my Kia last year - 8000 miles at 20 mpg is 400 gallons x $4/gal = $1600 in fuel - a buddy in OH told me about the EV road tax and wondered if I had factored that into my math. Turns out, my state (IN) has one as well that'll be waiting for me when I go register at the BMV.

$150, which according to the state's website is a one-time fee.

Indiana's at-the-pump gas tax is $0.18 per gallon. So at 400 gallons per year (see Kia example above) that's $72/year or $6/month. $150 / 6 = 25.... I'll break even after 25 months, and will be using the roads for free starting in April '24. :)

Last edited:
finally graduating today as well! Cool pickup, tesla was super busy, walked up to the guy and he handed me the key cards and told me to go look it over before accepting delivery. Only found a few things And need some opinions! My leather on the driver seat has the tiger stripe stress lines? Not exactly full on wrinkles. Is this within spec? Oh and headliner was dirty, im sure they can clean it.

Attachments

• F5351E24-32E9-4A8E-A782-2215E4B4819F.jpeg
    F5351E24-32E9-4A8E-A782-2215E4B4819F.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 158DDBFB-6631-4693-BCA2-AE8D04C6AB03.jpeg
    158DDBFB-6631-4693-BCA2-AE8D04C6AB03.jpeg
    532.2 KB · Views: 77