Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me how they are not giving a 14-50 adapter with new cars?! I’ve heard this and with my new car coming I find it hard to believe since 90% of people use the 14-50 to charge. So how do we get one? Do we have to buy it on the Tesla website? I have one from my 2019 but I’m selling it and will give it to them

Can someone explain to me how they are not giving a 14-50 adapter with new cars?! I’ve heard this and with my new car coming I find it hard to believe since 90% of people use the 14-50 to charge. So how do we get one? Do we have to buy it on the Tesla website? I have one from my 2019 but I’m selling it and will give it to them
Yeah I bought one from Tesla, don't have a car to go with it yet though lol

Reactions: Teekville
Cost cutting/profit maximizing. Yes you have to buy the 14-60 adapter separately from Tesla. They go out of stock often too so if you see it in stock then buy it.

That’s really messed up that they aren’t giving the most common form of charging for free for a car this expensive. How much did it cost? You bought it online on the Tesla website?
They're still $45 from the web site, but out of stock right now. Either this is another supply issue or scalpers are picking them up as fast as they can. If you look at eBay, you'll see sellers that have sold hundreds of them for $80 and up. Capitalism. Yay.

I sent a text to my SA about this, suggesting that Tesla allow car buyers to reserve an adapter so as to prevent scalpers from getting their hands on so many.

We Ordered on 26 Mar 2022....

Our "anticipated" date is July 9 thru Aug 20 if that helps.

Had we ordered the night prior they had June dates but I suppose this is all a pipe dream...LOL!

Just being patient and hopefully it will arrive in the next few months.

Details...if anyone cares....M3 LR Midnight Silver Black interior....no other additions.

Edit...sorry forgot to add that we did order after a test drive at our local Tesla location here in Colorado
I have the same configuration, I love the midnight silver color with the blacked out cameras and door handles. Ordered 5 days before you and my EDD is June 15-July 27. Let's hope both of ours move up!

So we have to buy the 14-50 adapter separately?

Also does the LR come with the key card?
We currently have to buy the 14-50 adapter, yes. You'll get two key cards with your Long Range. I assume two is the norm for all Tesla vehicles. There is also the phone option where you bluetooth pair your phone with the car, then as you approach it unlocks and as you leave it locks. There are tutorial videos on that.

From the last couple pages following trends are visible: 2/01 to 2/20 are piling in unable to contain excitement - keep a track on whose cherry is poppin.
Sparse sad Jan ODs either getting them VINs finally or June+ EDD LOL
And then the March ODs getting primed up for their excruciating final 2 months of wait.

Not seen an April OD yet - they probably have accepted the 2023 fate and not even bothered to go online look for this forum.
Check out the spreadsheet. Several April orders on there. I have an OD of 4/3. EDD Aug 14-Oct 9. MSM/Black/Aero/No FSD/Memphis, TN. Haven’t posted enough to get a signature yet.

It would be nice if they gave you a choice of adapters when you buy the car. A 14-50 would be useless for me as I have a 14-30 outlet.
That’s probably one of the reasons why they stopped including it. Not everyone has a 14-50.

Sure if you’re installing a new 240V outlet most people go for 14-50 but depending on your wiring, panel, or existing 240V outlet nearby you might want or need something else.

Letting people have their choice of a second adapter with a car purchase in addition to the normal 5-15 would be awesome.