Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After drooling over Teslas for six or seven years, I finally placed an order for a M3 LR AWD this past Tuesday (the 26th). Estimated delivery at the time was between July - October this year, matching what a sales rep had advised me over the phone.
Checking the app the very next day, the estimated delivery had updated to between May 1st - May 14th!! 😱
I was shocked and delighted! 🤩 I guess I got lucky that my particular configuration was already rolling off the factory line soon? Whatever the reason for the much faster-than-expected timeframe, I began scrambling to get everything ready.

Has anyone else seen things like this, where the estimated delivery changes to be so much sooner than anticipated?

Anyone have some tips for ensuring a smooth transition from ICE to EV? I have an appointment with a licensed electrician to install charging in my garage, but I'm unsure whether to actually go for the Tesla wall box, or just get a simple 240V utility outlet. From my understanding, the official Tesla charger only adds about 20% to the charging speed (over a simple 240V outlet), so is the extra $500 really worth it?

I'm also in Utah just south of the Salt Lake valley, so it can get pretty cold here. Any tips for getting the most from my battery during cold weather?
Congrats! Sometimes these quick deliveries can happen but no one really knows why.

Possibly someone with your exact configuration cancelled as the car was already getting built and got redirected to you and/or they needed another car to fill the truck to your region. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So I got an automated Tesla message today:

“Hi, if you're selling a vehicle to prepare for your upcoming Model 3 delivery, you can trade your vehicle in with your purchase!

Get your trade-in value by responding to this text with your car's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and exact mileage, and a Tesla Advisor will follow up with you soon.”

I then said I am not selling a car towards this purchase. I then said that my edd window is now may 9 to may 23. So are we waiting for a vin to be assigned? Is the car being made? To which my SA replied:

“Yes. Once the VIN get's assigned and the car leaves the factory, you will be getting an automated message to schedule your pickup appointment.”

I am not sure if this would help anyone but looks like those that have two week windows and no vins will likely get it once the car is almost done being made? My best guess
I received the same message today but only got a canned response about EDD’s being estimated blah, blah. I am sure I am just getting automated messages when I send texts to my SA. But your info is encouraging

Reactions: doodlebob424
Spoke to SA today, asked if I expand my pick up location to a 50 mile range if it would improve delivery. I live 15 min from Fremont and within 30 min to hour drive of several sites. He said Fremont is definitely the way to go and that their focus is non California locations at this point of the quarter. He expects our vin to come in mid-May for our 3/9 OD order. I take it with a grain of salt, YMMV.

After drooling over Teslas for six or seven years, I finally placed an order for a M3 LR AWD this past Tuesday (the 26th). Estimated delivery at the time was between July - October this year, matching what a sales rep had advised me over the phone.
Checking the app the very next day, the estimated delivery had updated to between May 1st - May 14th!! 😱
I was shocked and delighted! 🤩 I guess I got lucky that my particular configuration was already rolling off the factory line soon? Whatever the reason for the much faster-than-expected timeframe, I began scrambling to get everything ready.

Has anyone else seen things like this, where the estimated delivery changes to be so much sooner than anticipated?
I ordered in mid-Feb, and got an unexpected EDD update from May forward to March. I got very excited, got my credit pull for my loan, and as my window approached, the EDD bumped back, eventually to my current window (5/4-6/1)... and then my financing rate expired 30 days later. There have been a few unicorns in this room who got their car within an unusually small window, but its rare. I would wait to pull financing until you get the VIN, but you never know, you could be one of the lucky unicorns 🦄

Reactions: Junior86

Anyone have some tips for ensuring a smooth transition from ICE to EV? I have an appointment with a licensed electrician to install charging in my garage, but I'm unsure whether to actually go for the Tesla wall box, or just get a simple 240V utility outlet. From my understanding, the official Tesla charger only adds about 20% to the charging speed (over a simple 240V outlet), so is the extra $500 really worth it?

I'm also in Utah just south of the Salt Lake valley, so it can get pretty cold here. Any tips for getting the most from my battery during cold weather?
I currently own a Ford Mach-E and I can say that the 240V outlet has been plenty sufficient for me. Sure the wall box can charge quicker but the 240V NEMA 14-50 makes it so that I can use it with Tesla or with any other EV such as the Mach-E.

If the car is at 10% the 240v outlet will typically charge it up to the 80 or 90% that I've limited it to overnight which is plenty sufficient for me. I don't drive the car enough to necessitate charging multiple times during the day which is when I think having a wall box would be helpful. If I do, I can always rely on the supercharging (or in the case of the Mach E, the Electrify America) network.

One additional benefit of the wall box is that you get greater level of detail of your charging since the box itself is 'smart' and wifi connected unlike the mobile connector.

Just my 2 cents.

**EDIT** Here is some additional information for your research:

There is a whole thread dedicated to it:
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

Last edited:
Reactions: jpaychek
I just asked my SA what would be involved in shipping the Mt Kisco car to Indiana. I doubt it'll be available more than the 5 minutes she takes to respond though
Personally I wouldnt get a demo vehicles. If I am paying ~60k for a car, the least I would want would be to have my butt to be one of the very first butts to grace the car seats.

Mine is also black on black and delivery is now expected 3 months sooner than original!!! MUST BE SOMETHING ABOUT THE BLACK ON BLACK!!!! 🔥
Will you all stop with this?! I ordered black on black too and still have this June 1-July 6 EDD! LOL. In all seriousness though- good luck, hope you get your cars in record time!

I’m interested in this too. My box is still unopened waiting to get installed. It’s been less than 30 days and I paid the $495 also.
Just a heads up... I emailed [email protected] a few hours ago, provided them the order number, told them I bought the wall charger a few weeks ago for $500 and noticed that the price is now showing $400 on the website. They just got back to me saying they will price adjust and refund the amount back to my card. So I would just go ahead and do that as well.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldnt get a demo vehicles. If I am paying ~60k for a car, the least I would want would be to have my butt to be one of the very first butts to grace the car seats.
It definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but the demo had only 480 miles on it. I'm guessing the miles-to-butts ratio is something like 50:1. I can live with 9.6 butts having touched the virgin driver seat if it saves me a couple of months agonizing over the ever- changing EDDs. But I completely understand the sentiment nonetheless.

Reactions: show_stoppa