Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple comments after a short day of driving around:

Like most fellow graduates - I really love this car! Hankook tires would not have been my choice - but these appear to be all-seasons (which I prefer for NW climate) and very low road noise - even on rough concrete which is common around here. It will be interesting to see how they wear - I intend to put a few miles on them this summer and fall.

I confirm Ryzen processor, matrix headlights, heated wiper park zone and the portable power connector. I haven’t checked the low voltage battery yet.

Autopilot became functional after about 12 miles of driving - they seem to have been able to reduce the camera calibration time. So far I am only using TACC and will not experiment with steering assist or FSD until I master more of the car.

Unfortunately I do not have access to home charging yet (multi-family building) - maybe installation of something at home may be possible before winter months ahead. I already have mapped out many frequent destinations with AC level 2 facilities and will rely on superchargers when needed. My goal to start is to arrive home with at least 30% SOC for summer months unless I am planning for an out of town trip.

The only accessories I have ordered so far: a front sunshade by Heather’s Original HeatShield - I had one for my previous car and was happy they custom make one for M3. It arrived today (2 days even without amazon)

A spare tire kit by Modern Spare - I do not want to be stranded with a flat...I probably will only have it in the trunk on longer road trips.

And a Samsung T7 SSD 500GB for Sentry and media storage - BestBuy had it cheap here.

I will wait on others until get some miles in.

Thanks to all who posted here - It really helped me to prepare for delivery day and get through the excruciating wait. I am glad this initial phase is over!

I didn’t think about it not having a spare, thanks for the info.

Yes, your car gets a VIN once it's actually been built.
Has anyone confirmed this? Have people who know the exact build date of their car (from the window sticker) compared that date to the date that Tesla told them about their VIN? A Google on VIN dates suggests all sorts of different practices (or theories) for various manufacturers, ranging from a week before, to a day after, to "whenever all the parts are in stock and allocated".
I’m going to guess that a VIN gets assigned either when the 1 piece of chassis that gets formed and stamped with a VIN is made or when a robot pulls (from the holding/storage frame) the piece of chassis that has the VIN stamp on it and puts it on the line to assemble the VIN gets assigned to someone. I worked at a chrome plating and Prowler purple side view mirror paint factory in college in the 90’s operating the only computer they had in the whole factory. I’m aging myself here…many of y’all probably don’t even know what a Prowler is.
The VIN plate is going to be affixed after painting for sure. It could be attached as soon as the vehicle hits the assembly line (meaning the point where the guts of the car go into the painted chassis).

The Prowler? That was a real shocker when it came out. I thought it was ushering in a new era of fun cars. Alas, we got SUVs and then crossovers.

Last edited:
Has anyone confirmed this? Have people who know the exact build date of their car (from the window sticker) compared that date to the date that Tesla told them about their VIN? A Google on VIN dates suggests all sorts of different practices (or theories) for various manufacturers, ranging from a week before, to a day after, to "whenever all the parts are in stock and allocated".
On Reddit a few months ago there was a video showing a Tesla supervisor going over the build process and he makes a quick mention of VINs as the cars exit the production line. I'm not sure that confirms how it is handled each time.

The VIN plate is going to be affixed after painting for sure. It could be attached as soon as the vehicle hits the assembly line (meaning the point where the guts of the car go into the painted chassis).

The Prowler? That was a real shocker when it came out. I thought it was ushering in a new era of fun cars. Alas, we got SUVs and then crossovers.
The panels that are painted is not the frame/chassis. The painted panel gets stuck on to the chassis. The chassis gets a permanent stamped vin in the metal when it is produced to make it harder to alter. It’s on the metal door frame or floor frame. They stamp those pieces sequentially and hang them on a storage frame. A robot grabs one of those pieces, welds the whole frame together and now you have your car structure. Then painted panels and seats and stuff start going on it along with the matching VIN plates during assembly.

Attachments

• 83939923-38AD-49A7-8A3A-1FFDBB041E2A.jpeg
    83939923-38AD-49A7-8A3A-1FFDBB041E2A.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I thought some of you may find this interesting. The user talks about his experience with the CCS adapter. For some of you, this may be something to really consider as it gives you some great charging options. We don't have a single one in my area so I may hold off a little longer but it would be valuable when traveling.

My EDD still holding firm and have not change June 13 - June 27... Still no Vin inside the source code. Just like you I been thinking should I start ordering accessories. I am thinking about doing my own PPF since Xpel offers pre cut templates. I have already installed the home charger.
My wall connector is coming on Tuesday. I'm also unsure on what floor mats to get, Motor Trend or WeatherTech. Motor Trend works pretty well in my RAV4. I've been sitting on the same Aug - Sep EDD for a week now, no biggie for a 4/30 OD. But I'm hopeful that I get a 2-week in late June when these March orders are done. It looks like orders in the East are already at March 10-19, so that brings good amount of hope...unless an RWD order from 2021 cuts the line.

Reactions: jpaychek and Hiline
The panels that are painted is not the frame/chassis. The painted panel gets stuck on to the chassis. The chassis gets a permanent stamped vin in the metal when it is produced to make it harder to alter. It’s on the metal door frame or floor frame. They stamp those pieces sequentially and hang them on a storage frame. A robot grabs one of those pieces, welds the whole frame together and now you have your car structure. Then painted panels and seats and stuff start going on it along with the matching VIN plates during assembly.
Ah. Today I learned. I looked this up and Tesla has a page for the Model 3's VIN locations. There is a stamped VIN number on the right side upper door pillar under the interior trim.
I thought some of you may find this interesting. The user talks about his experience with the CCS adapter.
The TLDR of this is that the CCS adapter is a great option to save money if you would normally rely on Superchargers.

Repost...

We have so many VINs coming and we need to be sure we're keeping the spreadsheet updated. This link will help you with the process - Wiki - Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

Also, don't forget to update your signature once you have five posts here. You can click your name at the top of the scene, then settings and then signature.
I wish more people went back and filled this out after they got their VINs. The data here is definitely painting the wrong picture. 44 Day average from Order to VIN has gotta be way off from reality 😂

So my SA seems to be ghosting me this past week, and I'm scheduled to pickup the car Monday. Does anyone have a good number to call to talk to a representative? I am not going to get the check made until I get confirmation of the headlights and such. The text number i have is the generic 510-369-1556. Should I just try calling the number listed in google for that location, or a specific Tesla number?