Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It took a few miles to get used to the one-pedal driving, and I'm still not the greatest at it, but I can tell I'm going to prefer it over traditional "two-pedal driving."
So yes you'll get use to it and make it to the stop sign. But, today I had to take in my car to get the PPF done and afterwards drove one of our ICE cars and that was kinda crazy and braking was hard and turning corners is so much easier in a Tesla. It's only been 22 days since delivery and now I understand why every veteran Tesla owner always says it's so fun to drive.

I'd just like to add I think the switch from SR to LR is much less dramatic then the switch to P which explains why it is so much more attractive.

I've said this before on this forum but I'll say it again the LR just seems to be a perfectly balanced model 3. The SR should be discontinued. The P should only be for people willing to pay a premiumum price to take a car to the track. Just my 2 cents.
Once China renormalizes the SR will be advantageous because it has a distinct battery supply: LFP from CATL. Batteries are always the limiting resource. Some NCA batteries will be needed for Semi.

There are multiple reasons the SR should stick around:

1. You need an entry model for price-sensitive customers
2. Having 3 options usually pushes customers towards the middle option, and as we have observed, this has indeed been the case
3. The SR version using a different battery gives Tesla the ability to use more battery suppliers to keep churning out units
While I agree with you in principle, it doesn't work that way.

The SR has a lower range, less premium interior, less premium sound system, no floor mats lol, a single motor RWD vs AWD, etc.

The SR is a inferior car to the LR AND has a much longer wait time. Those things don't mix for the average consumer. However they do work for a commercial car service ( ex hertz).

People will still go the LR if the SR was discontinued. And if they want a upgrade the P exists. With Teslas major backlog they need to start clearing some less popular models from their line up.

Keep the SR as a commercial option maybe for rental companies or car service centers that don't care as much and also allow people to get a taste of a tesla.

The SR has a lower range, less premium interior, less premium sound system, no floor mats lol, a single motor RWD vs AWD, etc.

The SR is a inferior car to the LR AND has a much longer wait time. Those things don't mix for the average consumer. However they do work for a commercial car service ( ex hertz).

People will still go the LR if the SR was discontinued. And if they want a upgrade the P exists. With Teslas major backlog they need to start clearing some less popular models from their line up.

Keep the SR as a commercial option maybe for rental companies or car service centers that don't care as much and also allow people to get a taste of a tesla.
The SR is an inferior car. So are the Corolla, RAV4, CRV, Sentry and Camry - the 5 best selling cars in the world. The SR is the car that the world will own - or something even more inferior. The best selling BEV in the world right now is... the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV. It's a tiny little suicide box, but it gets people in China where they want to be. We need to remember that most people don't give a rip about their car. It's a necessary evil in life. They don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

The reason that the LR is so mainstream is that we are in the early adoption phase for BEVs. That's people with money. The greatest concern about BEVs right now is the whole range anxiety thing. So naturally there's a push for vehicles that have range. Tesla wants to bring in as many profits as possible, so they've prioritized LR and P models. That moves the LR along, and that draws more orders. Interestingly, the P is not swamped, despite the near-instant order fulfillment. The LR just happens to hit the sweet spot right now. I expect that, in time, the SR (or a vehicle like it or inferior to it) will come to dominate in the world. Probably in the US as well.

This is ignoring possible developments in new battery chemistries that could change the entire market. Lightweight batteries. Higher performance batteries. Cheaper batteries.

The SR is an inferior car. So are the Corolla, RAV4, CRV, Sentry and Camry - the 5 best selling cars in the world. The SR is the car that the world will own - or something even more inferior. The best selling BEV in the world right now is... the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV. It's a tiny little suicide box, but it gets people in China where they want to be. We need to remember that most people don't give a rip about their car. It's a necessary evil in life. They don't want to spend a lot of money on it.

The reason that the LR is so mainstream is that we are in the early adoption phase for BEVs. That's people with money. The greatest concern about BEVs right now is the whole range anxiety thing. So naturally there's a push for vehicles that have range. Tesla wants to bring in as many profits as possible, so they've prioritized LR and P models. That moves the LR along, and that draws more orders. Interestingly, the P is not swamped, despite the near-instant order fulfillment. The LR just happens to hit the sweet spot right now. I expect that, in time, the SR (or a vehicle like it or inferior to it) will come to dominate in the world. Probably in the US as well.

This is ignoring possible developments in new battery chemistries that could change the entire market. Lightweight batteries. Higher performance batteries. Cheaper batteries.
I just want to preface by saying I'm simply having a friendly debate ( not directed at anyone)

The SR costs 47000 pretax which is not a cheap car at all in the general market. Many people consider that to be "luxury" or at least premium. But you don't seem to get premium. Heck all teslas interiors are very controversial on that regard. While tesla prices are far more affordable to middle class they are still far from affordable to the general public. If tesla can make a model SR that costs around 25-30k they will have a winner bigger then when the model 3 first came out. They are far from there and with limited resources I argue they should stop SR to general public ( sell to hertz) and focus on LR which is a much better seller/car at the moment.

Also the P doesn't sell as well because people especially in cold areas who do research realize the major disadvantages of owning/maintaining such a car

Saw this truck broke down last night on the side of I-80 (Ohio Turnpike) at the 189 Eastbound and didnt get a picture. This morning when I was headed west it was still there and I was able to grab a picture.

Granted these may not be new cars (at least the one with chrome is for sure not new) but someone is waiting on these cars somewhere.

Truck was steaming yesterday when I drove past, temperature outside was 99°F likely overheated and blew a gasket.

View attachment 817240
This truck is still sitting here with all of the Tesla's on it, more than 48 hours later. Now the Tesla in the back on the top has lights on for some reason, nobody in sight.

The SR costs 47000 pretax which is not a cheap car at all in the general market. Many people consider that to be "luxury" or at least premium. But you don't seem to get premium. Heck all teslas interiors are very controversial on that regard. While tesla prices are far more affordable to middle class they are still far from affordable to the general public.
Premium is in the eye of the beholder. Remember that the word "premium" has to do with "paying a premium" or paying extra money for something. A Tesla requires us to pay that premium not because of the smooth ride, quiet interior or 400 knobs, switches and dials but because it is a battery electric vehicle. I might throw in the styling, the minimalist interior and the cool technology, but ultimately it is because it is a BEV. That's just a different application of the word "premium". The fact that the cars, whether SR or LR or P, have such high demand is a reflection of how appealing Tesla's combination of features is.

I don't understand the appeal of removing private sales of the SR, especially if Tesla is going to continue to sell them to rental companies. Imagine the outrage of people who can't afford an LR, but can afford an SR, only to find that Tesla won't sell one to them because they're favoring a corporate partner. That's not a message that would go over well.

If you are arguing that they should simply stop all SR production and switch to LR, then I think that Tesla would love that idea from the standpoint of immediate payoff because it would mean more money in the bank for them. However, it would miss the opportunity to get BEVs in among a wider swath of society. The last thing anyone needs right now is the idea that BEVs are entirely a luxury experience that the common man will never experience. People would close their mind to the idea of buying a BEV. BEVs would become The Vehicle Of The One Percent. Evil incarnate. The SR is Tesla's best shot at answering that need. As you say, a lower price vehicle would be great, but supply constraints and market realities really don't allow it. If they sold a car for $30,000 it would immediately resell on the street for $50,000.

As for it being a friendly exchange, well, always.

You didn’t address any of my points. Why doesn’t it work “that way”?

That people are still holding on to their SR order instead of switching speaks plenty to the appeal of the SR. In the Model 3 line-up, the LR is the average option, serving the average customer. But why sell to just the average customer when you can sell to non-average customers as well?

I got a text at noon saying the car is on-site and it gave me an option to pickup on the 18th or 19th so a couple days earlier than the day they rescheduled me. Anything on your end?
Nothing so far. Trying to reach them to get an earlier date. Even drove by the SC yesterday and car was not there but it was a bunch of cars there. Good luck on getting yours earlier.