Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I decided to 'Graduate' today as well!

Probably they buffed my car pretty well. Since the scratch on my trunk is now sort of slightly visible, and that too when you look at it at a particular angle, it then only shows!

Bought my Tesla insurance while chatting with the sales rep at Tesla office. Jumped the gun and made final payment as well, reviewed documents and accepted delivery right in front of her.

I was only allowed after this to pair my phone with the car. Interior wise everything was normal. No marks or scratches anywhere. No dings on the exterior as well.

They did throw in the Mobile Charger as well in my trunk, so sweet!

PXL_20220727_234202966[1].jpg

I noticed some missing paint after opening the trunk only on the right side near the strut part. (Pictured above)

When I asked the sales rep, she told me that that part never gets painted as all vehicles are robot painted and that this is standard for Tesla to miss in the interior parts.

Is this really true?

Lastly, can someone please enlighten me on paint protection for my vehicle? Thanks in advance! 😇

All you guys who got VINs recently, does the app notify you or did you get a text etc. Just wondering because I want to stop obsessively checking the app lol
I got the text around 7:00 P.M. notifying me that my VIN had been assigned. I checked the app in the morning and the afternoon, and there was nothing. The source code also did not show any sign.

View attachment 833638

I noticed some missing paint after opening the trunk only on the right side near the strut part. (Pictured above)

When I asked the sales rep, she told me that that part never gets painted as all vehicles are robot painted and that this is standard for Tesla to miss in the interior parts.

Is this really true?

Lastly, can someone please enlighten me on paint protection for my vehicle? Thanks in advance! 😇
Congrats on the car. As for PPF this is a whole controversial conversation. I'll try to sum it up as best I can.

PPF is a clear film that goes on the car to protect the paint against mild dings and scratches. It is like a screen protector. Some people get it in only high impact areas like the front others get it on the entire car.

For mild rock chips, bumps etc PPF is great and can protect the car. However it is not invincible nor immortal. Rocks and debri can and have gone thru the film and still damaged the car ( and ruined) the PPF. Larger accidents or damage will go right thru the PPF. Insurance doesn't cover it either. Also it will get old and dirty and peel and have to be replaced. Some can last a few years if done properly and maintained. There also the issue of uneven paint wear ( think tan lines) if the whole car isn't wrapped. Also it has to be done properly in the first place. There are many stories of shops doing it wrong or half assed and leaving dirt marks, fingerprints, hair behind. There was a guy on here too whose whole back window is now messed up from the adhesive they used and didn't clean properly.

For some reason PPF is constantly echoed in these forums. Idk why. This particular forum people seem to be open minded about it but if you go to the P forum saying your not tinting and PPFing is straight blasphemy.

PPF is ok and will protect your car against mild damage maybe. It is also very very expensive and after 5 years or so will need to be replaced. It also will not protect your cars value as most places for trades don't care about the paint like that. ( little dings). For what it costs imo it's better to save the money and if you keep the car long enough get it repainted or wrapped in a new color.

In conclusion this is not going to be the car you pass down to your grandchildren. Likely in 4-8; years you will try to upgrade when the warranty expires and/or the tech becomes outdated. Don't sink more money into the car especially when it is already so expensive. PPF is not an investment. If it was a couple hundred dollars for a car I'd say go for it but it can costs thousands just to wrap the front. Hope this all helped.

View attachment 833638

Is this really true?

PPF is a personal choice based on how tolerant you are going to be of small chips/dings on the vehicle. I read someone on this forum compare it to a screen protector for your phone, which seems pretty spot on.

Some people say they'll just repaint the car, use touch up point, and repair dings if there's anything super visible after a few years. Others say they need to PPF immediately to preserve the condition of the paint from the day they received the car.

For the people who do PPF, you can wrap the whole car or certain areas that are more prone to damage.

Personally, I am planning to PPF certain areas more prone to damage on my vehicle once I take delivery. The quotes i received ranged between $1,850 to $2,100 for full front PPF. I am planning to do a self install using the kit below which will cost me $875 plus 1-2 days (couple hours each) in my garage. It comes with everything you need to self install including some well done instruction videos + a practice kit. It doesn't need to be perfect, just protect the car. I'm quickly finding out that there seems to be a Tesla tax on a lot of car/electric stuff that I'm simply not willing to pay. I paid enough for the car!

DIY Front Protection Kit - PPF for Model 3​

1659008948466.png

Frugal Tesla Guy With His Review (I found VERY helpful):

Last edited:
Reactions: ZZ118 and DaPlugg
On mine, there is a very slight underspray there on both sides. It's so slight that it just looks like dust. I had to use a cloth to wipe it clean before I was sure that it was underspray. My car is blue, so the contrast isn't nearly as great as the black. That said, the entire front inside of my driver's door frame isn't painted - and while I spotted it when I looked for it, I've never noticed it once since.

I always look at these things as vehicle curiosities more than flaws. They don't affect anything, and I guess I'm not obsessive enough to care. I kinda like the fact that they're a bit rough in spots. As I've said before, mine has a slight dent on a metal panel. An unacceptable flaw to some. A badge of honor to me.

I'd dearly love to get the glass roof panel reseated, however. The small misalignment slightly concerns me when I think about it. Which isn't often.
Wow I wonder what that world is like 😆
Busy.

Siemens' new home EV charger adapter ends need for electrical panel upgrades

The new adapter will enable electric car owners to charge their EVs by connecting chargers directly through the meter socket, which is on every home. It provides more useable capacity by monitoring total load and controlling the EV circuit to ensure the total capacity rating is within the limit.

Bypassing the electrical panel reduces the EV charger installation cost by around 60 to 80% because electrical panel upgrades aren’t needed.

We asked a Siemens spokesperson about the cost of the new plug-in adapter, and he said that the company is still finalizing pricing, but “it will be a fraction of the cost of a service panel upgrade or other modifications often needed to make for a charger. Additionally, in some cases, the cost may be fully borne by utility programs.”

PPF is a personal choice based on how tolerant you are going to be of small chips/dings on the vehicle. I read someone on this forum compare it to a screen protector for your phone, which seems pretty spot on.

Some people say they'll just repaint the car, use touch up point, and repair dings if there's anything super visible after a few years. Others say they need to PPF immediately to preserve the condition of the paint from the day they received the car.

For the people who do PPF, you can wrap the whole car or certain areas that are more prone to damage.

Personally, I am planning to PPF certain areas more prone to damage on my vehicle once I take delivery. The quotes i received ranged between $1,850 to $2,100 for full front PPF. I am planning to do a self install using the kit below which will cost me $875 plus 1-2 days (couple hours each) in my garage. It comes with everything you need to self install including some well done instruction videos + a practice kit. It doesn't need to be perfect, just protect the car. I'm quickly finding out that there seems to be a Tesla tax on a lot of car/electric stuff that I'm simply not willing to pay. I paid enough for the car!

DIY Front Protection Kit - PPF for Model 3​

View attachment 833741

Frugal Tesla Guy With His Review (I found VERY helpful):
I ordered the 3m pro kit on ebay just like that in the pic for $485 and I did it myself.. ping me and I will show you how.. I been doing it on my own car, (self learn) for the past 20 years on all my cars.. I do not do PPF for living or people cars.. just my own and a few friends

Reactions: Avidcyclist
This gif is more true then some people would care to admit
Congrats on the car. As for PPF this is a whole controversial conversation. I'll try to sum it up as best I can.

PPF is a clear film that goes on the car to protect the paint against mild dings and scratches. It is like a screen protector. Some people get it in only high impact areas like the front others get it on the entire car.

For mild rock chips, bumps etc PPF is great and can protect the car. However it is not invincible nor immortal. Rocks and debri can and have gone thru the film and still damaged the car ( and ruined) the PPF. Larger accidents or damage will go right thru the PPF. Insurance doesn't cover it either. Also it will get old and dirty and peel and have to be replaced. Some can last a few years if done properly and maintained. There also the issue of uneven paint wear ( think tan lines) if the whole car isn't wrapped. Also it has to be done properly in the first place. There are many stories of shops doing it wrong or half assed and leaving dirt marks, fingerprints, hair behind. There was a guy on here too whose whole back window is now messed up from the adhesive they used and didn't clean properly.

For some reason PPF is constantly echoed in these forums. Idk why. This particular forum people seem to be open minded about it but if you go to the P forum saying your not tinting and PPFing is straight blasphemy.

PPF is ok and will protect your car against mild damage maybe. It is also very very expensive and after 5 years or so will need to be replaced. It also will not protect your cars value as most places for trades don't care about the paint like that. ( little dings). For what it costs imo it's better to save the money and if you keep the car long enough get it repainted or wrapped in a new color.

In conclusion this is not going to be the car you pass down to your grandchildren. Likely in 4-8; years you will try to upgrade when the warranty expires and/or the tech becomes outdated. Don't sink more money into the car especially when it is already so expensive. PPF is not an investment. If it was a couple hundred dollars for a car I'd say go for it but it can costs thousands just to wrap the front. Hope this all helped.
ZZ Thanks so much for the informative post. I agree that in the forums here and FB many make PPF a must after buying a Tesla along with ceramic coat. I thought ok now I've purchased a big ticket car, charger, install, floor mats, mudflaps, console organizer, and future tint! Now PPF??? Is it really worth it? Of course you want to be proactive in maintaining the exterior of you car, but to what expense? No, I think I'll pass on the PPF.

In the 80's I owned a white Camaro with T-Tops. PPF back then was a vinyl black bra on the front! 🤣 😂🤣 Everybody had them!

"Back in the early 1960s, Billy Colgan designed the first car bra per a request from Lockheed engineers who wanted something to protect their Porsche cars. Till then, Colgan specialized in interior upholstery. But, his production of a handful of exterior covers for luxury cars (check some of them at this car cover store) eventually led him to patent the “Original Car Bra” and focus his business on producing this accessory. Following the fad, other manufacturers began producing similar products that were custom-fitting for popular luxury or sports models."

Siemens' new home EV charger adapter ends need for electrical panel upgrades

The new adapter will enable electric car owners to charge their EVs by connecting chargers directly through the meter socket, which is on every home. It provides more useable capacity by monitoring total load and controlling the EV circuit to ensure the total capacity rating is within the limit.

Bypassing the electrical panel reduces the EV charger installation cost by around 60 to 80% because electrical panel upgrades aren’t needed.

We asked a Siemens spokesperson about the cost of the new plug-in adapter, and he said that the company is still finalizing pricing, but “it will be a fraction of the cost of a service panel upgrade or other modifications often needed to make for a charger. Additionally, in some cases, the cost may be fully borne by utility programs.”
This sounds very similar to the DCC 12 - this was one of our options that was recommended to us! Very cool device if you are worried about load. (We ended up putting in a sub panel in the garage which was also recommended by several electricians as an option) DCC-12 | EV Energy Management System | 240/208V, Max 200A, Max EVSE 60A

Thanks a lot for sharing this with me!

I did not know that PPF wasn't a 100% solution to protect paint. Thanks for shedding light on this matter! (Dayum son, I would have never thought of PPF's being North of a few thousand dollars!)

True, but even I have been reading on this thread as well that the first thing that most buyers are doing is tinting and putting PPF. I never saw the need for both on my car, and personally felt that tinting is illegal (above some percentage) and that cops can pull you over, I'm not exactly sure of this!

Fingers crossed for you getting your car ASAP!

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Will definitely give a look into it, even though I'm not inclined towards applying PPF!

Hahaha, I liked the Frugal Guy's channel! I guess even I'm going to go on a 'Frugal Mode' for the time being!

On mine, there is a very slight underspray there on both sides. It's so slight that it just looks like dust. I had to use a cloth to wipe it clean before I was sure that it was underspray. My car is blue, so the contrast isn't nearly as great as the black. That said, the entire front inside of my driver's door frame isn't painted - and while I spotted it when I looked for it, I've never noticed it once since.
I see, thanks for letting me know!

Did you ask your dealer to get the inside of your door frame repainted then, and if whether they do it as well?

I had checked for all 4 of my door frames during inspection, and there isn't any missing paint! Just letting you know! ☺️