Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but even I have been reading on this thread as well that the first thing that most buyers are doing is tinting and putting PPF.
The people who ARE putting PPF on their vehicles are saying something about it, but the people who AREN'T putting it on aren't posting that because nobody really cares when you don't do something. It's the same for Teslas. Most people AREN'T buying one, but to read this forum, you'd think everyone in the country was clamoring to get their hands on one. I find it funny to bring up Teslas with people I know and they could not possibly care less.
Did you ask your dealer to get the inside of your door frame repainted then, and if whether they do it as well?
It never even occurred to me. The Russians are invading Ukraine, western economies are in recession, people can't buy a home to raise a family, and I have missing paint on an unseen section of my car. I figured I could let it go. :)

Last edited:
The people who ARE putting PPF on their vehicles are saying something about it, but the people AREN'T putting it on aren't posting that because nobody really cares when you don't do something. It's the same for Teslas. Most people AREN'T buying one, but to read this forum, you'd think everyone in the country was clamoring to get their hands on one. I find it funny to bring up Teslas with people I know and they could not possibly care less.
So I will chime in here. We have PPF on all our vehicles (aside from my truck which gets abused). Rationale: I hate rock chips. Here in Colorado, where I live, a car can look like it has been peppered with "BBs shot within 3 feet" after a year.

I look at it this way....my truck....NO PPF. Our "RIP" Audi A5...PPF. My two P cars....PPF.

It just comes down to what you like or don't.

As far as @ZZ118 comments on PPF issues....PPF had come a LONG way. We still have PPF installed on our 996TT (track and fun car), our 2017 Macan, and the RIP 2005.5 Jetta TDI.... In EACH case they are still standing up tremendously. Have used Suntek and Xpel with zero issues.

Is it expensive....sure is.....is it worth it for you....that is the question.

Now is our Model 3 LR going to be something that will retain that value over the years due to PPF....probably not. However, I like having nice paint and have never experienced a problem with PPF recently (going back 5-10 years). I will admit if you do not take care of it on a white or black car the edges can get "nasty"....aka applying a wax or other product and not paying attention to the care.

For us, we keep cars til they explode/die/wrecked etc.....for us it makes sense. For others, not so much.

XPEL has an outstanding warranty....10/4 years....I have never had to use it as we are going on 6 and 7 years for our Porsches.

See link:

Xpel warranty

To each his/her own but we swear by PPF.

Reactions: ZZ118
Thanks a lot for sharing this with me!

I did not know that PPF wasn't a 100% solution to protect paint. Thanks for shedding light on this matter! (Dayum son, I would have never thought of PPF's being North of a few thousand dollars!)

True, but even I have been reading on this thread as well that the first thing that most buyers are doing is tinting and putting PPF. I never saw the need for both on my car, and personally felt that tinting is illegal (above some percentage) and that cops can pull you over, I'm not exactly sure of this!

Fingers crossed for you getting your car ASAP!
Thank you. For tinting check your local laws. Most cops will not pull you over but if you illegal tint you are giving them an excuse. That means you drive a car that can legally be pulled over at anytime and/or ticketed. Just not worth it to me. Same thing with people who don't put the front license plate on in states where it is required like NY. You're not cool and the car doesn't look cool without the plate just put it on. Lol

Thank you. For tinting check your local laws. Most cops will not pull you over but if you illegal tint you are giving them an excuse. That means you drive a car that can legally be pulled over at anytime and/or ticketed. Just not worth it to me. Same thing with people who don't put the front license plate on in states where it is required like NY. You're not cool and the car doesn't look cool without the plate just put it on. Lol
Any reputable tint/PPF shop will let you know what the rules are for your state. And I am one of those that do not want to put a license plate on our cars for the front. Been pulled over more times than not for speeding (my bad) and not once was I cited for that. Again, risk vs reward!

I was pulled over in my truck for running "Green Halos/DRLS" 2 years ago on my Tacoma. The Police officer issued a warning as Colorado Statutes say you cant do that. Oh well.....I run whites now in the front.

PPF is a personal choice based on how tolerant you are going to be of small chips/dings on the vehicle. I read someone on this forum compare it to a screen protector for your phone, which seems pretty spot on.

Some people say they'll just repaint the car, use touch up point, and repair dings if there's anything super visible after a few years. Others say they need to PPF immediately to preserve the condition of the paint from the day they received the car.

For the people who do PPF, you can wrap the whole car or certain areas that are more prone to damage.

Personally, I am planning to PPF certain areas more prone to damage on my vehicle once I take delivery. The quotes i received ranged between $1,850 to $2,100 for full front PPF. I am planning to do a self install using the kit below which will cost me $875 plus 1-2 days (couple hours each) in my garage. It comes with everything you need to self install including some well done instruction videos + a practice kit. It doesn't need to be perfect, just protect the car. I'm quickly finding out that there seems to be a Tesla tax on a lot of car/electric stuff that I'm simply not willing to pay. I paid enough for the car!

DIY Front Protection Kit - PPF for Model 3​

View attachment 833741

Frugal Tesla Guy With His Review (I found VERY helpful):
I had added this to my cart a few days ago and didn't pull the trigger. I got a 10% off coupon code via email today and bought it! $787 plus sweat equity for full frontal PPF. Not bad in my book. Now I just need the damn car!

Reactions: DaPlugg
Congress is trying to reinstate a $7,500 EV tax credit for sedans under $55,000 and trucks and SUVs under $80,000. The Senate is supposed to vote on the bill next week, with the House expected to support it if it passes the Senate. This will apply to Tesla vehicles, but only the Standard Range Model 3 is currently under the limit.

Reactions: DaPlugg
I had added this to my cart a few days ago and didn't pull the trigger. I got a 10% off coupon code via email today and bought it! $787 plus sweat equity for full frontal PPF. Not bad in my book. Now I just need the damn car!

Yup...if you have the time and experience to put it on yourself ...GO FOR IT!

For me, I am a "Wrencher"...I can do tons of things but when it comes to paint stuff I call in a pro for it. I have detailed cars as a hobby for friends and neighbors but I "FAIL" at trying to install PPF/TINT. I would rather leave that to my friend that literally does it for a living. Some things are better left to someone who knows how to do it. Just my 2.5 cents

Congress is trying to reinstate a $7,500 EV tax credit for sedans under $55,000 and trucks and SUVs under $80,000. The Senate is supposed to vote on the bill next week, with the House expected to support it if it passes the Senate. This will apply to Tesla vehicles, but only the Standard Range Model 3 is currently under the limit.
Not sure but I think Tesla is not included because they sold to many cars

The Model Y is a SUV, so it falls under the $80k limit.

Reactions: JB47394
I guess if that passes I’m jumping back into the standard range line
Is that MSRP or including destination fees? If including dest fees I am out by $950 with a base model. if not I am in just barely

Edit, I read an article just now. Maybe true but no clue. The limit is the "suggested retail price" of the vehicle. Still not sure if this takes dest fees into account or not. Big if, and if so I may just order a MY and wait longer.

Last edited:
Don't believe that the standard range will qualify due to the LFP battery from China.

• Informative
Reactions: E90alex
Congrats on the car. As for PPF this is a whole controversial conversation. I'll try to sum it up as best I can.

PPF is a clear film that goes on the car to protect the paint against mild dings and scratches. It is like a screen protector. Some people get it in only high impact areas like the front others get it on the entire car.

For mild rock chips, bumps etc PPF is great and can protect the car. However it is not invincible nor immortal. Rocks and debri can and have gone thru the film and still damaged the car ( and ruined) the PPF. Larger accidents or damage will go right thru the PPF. Insurance doesn't cover it either. Also it will get old and dirty and peel and have to be replaced. Some can last a few years if done properly and maintained. There also the issue of uneven paint wear ( think tan lines) if the whole car isn't wrapped. Also it has to be done properly in the first place. There are many stories of shops doing it wrong or half assed and leaving dirt marks, fingerprints, hair behind. There was a guy on here too whose whole back window is now messed up from the adhesive they used and didn't clean properly.

For some reason PPF is constantly echoed in these forums. Idk why. This particular forum people seem to be open minded about it but if you go to the P forum saying your not tinting and PPFing is straight blasphemy.

PPF is ok and will protect your car against mild damage maybe. It is also very very expensive and after 5 years or so will need to be replaced. It also will not protect your cars value as most places for trades don't care about the paint like that. ( little dings). For what it costs imo it's better to save the money and if you keep the car long enough get it repainted or wrapped in a new color.

In conclusion this is not going to be the car you pass down to your grandchildren. Likely in 4-8; years you will try to upgrade when the warranty expires and/or the tech becomes outdated. Don't sink more money into the car especially when it is already so expensive. PPF is not an investment. If it was a couple hundred dollars for a car I'd say go for it but it can costs thousands just to wrap the front. Hope this all helped.

Congrats on the car. As for PPF this is a whole controversial conversation. I'll try to sum it up as best I can.

PPF is a clear film that goes on the car to protect the paint against mild dings and scratches. It is like a screen protector. Some people get it in only high impact areas like the front others get it on the entire car.

For mild rock chips, bumps etc PPF is great and can protect the car. However it is not invincible nor immortal. Rocks and debri can and have gone thru the film and still damaged the car ( and ruined) the PPF. Larger accidents or damage will go right thru the PPF. Insurance doesn't cover it either. Also it will get old and dirty and peel and have to be replaced. Some can last a few years if done properly and maintained. There also the issue of uneven paint wear ( think tan lines) if the whole car isn't wrapped. Also it has to be done properly in the first place. There are many stories of shops doing it wrong or half assed and leaving dirt marks, fingerprints, hair behind. There was a guy on here too whose whole back window is now messed up from the adhesive they used and didn't clean properly.

For some reason PPF is constantly echoed in these forums. Idk why. This particular forum people seem to be open minded about it but if you go to the P forum saying your not tinting and PPFing is straight blasphemy.

PPF is ok and will protect your car against mild damage maybe. It is also very very expensive and after 5 years or so will need to be replaced. It also will not protect your cars value as most places for trades don't care about the paint like that. ( little dings). For what it costs imo it's better to save the money and if you keep the car long enough get it repainted or wrapped in a new color.

In conclusion this is not going to be the car you pass down to your grandchildren. Likely in 4-8; years you will try to upgrade when the warranty expires and/or the tech becomes outdated. Don't sink more money into the car especially when it is already so expensive. PPF is not an investment. If it was a couple hundred dollars for a car I'd say go for it but it can costs thousands just to wrap the front. Hope this all helped.
I was thinking about spending the couple thousand it costs to ppf just the front. But with what you said, it makes 100% sense and just save the money for something else or something even more important. Like a spare tire in case I get a flat somewhere.

Don't believe that the standard range will qualify due to the LFP battery from China.
Here's the EV incentive for New Jersey Residents--Gov Murphy just announced:

In Year Three (now) the State will provide incentives of up to $4,000 for vehicles with MSRP’s under $45,000 and incentives of up to $2,000 for vehicles with an MSRP between $45,000 and $50,000.

As of this announcement, all sales and orders made as of 12:01 am on July 25, 2022 at eligible dealerships and showrooms of eligible EVs may apply at the point of sale for their incentive.

Today, the State is also launching the new Residential EV Charger Incentive Program, which offers a $250 rebate for a home charger. This program can be combined with the already existing utility programs, which may cover installation costs.

This is great since I got the $51,900 price of the LR AWD. If it excludes taxes and fees. Before taxes and fees my price was $53,440.

Here are some details on the requirements to qualify for the proposed EV tax credit. It has been tailored to apply to a very specific set of conditions. Lobbyists in action. There's a used vehicle credit as well.

Senate moves forward with EV tax credit reform; Tesla (TSLA) to be included back and more

Yeah, the major requirement is that the vehicle batteries must be at least 40% sourced from a country with whom the US has a free trade agreement, and that requirement increases year by year. The list of those countries is linked into the above article. China and Japan are not on that list. Korea is.