Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHY do we do this to ourselves!???!! Haha, I know the TESLA is great, but this is an absurd way to do business...
Unfortunately, until there is more competition, we'll keep throwing our $$ their way and torture ourselves along the way! A couple of my friends who have gone through this said all of this misery will be forgotten the second you take delivery. I sure do hope they are right! This sucks a$$!!!

Unfortunately, until there is more competition, we'll keep throwing our $$ their way and torture ourselves along the way! A couple of my friends who have gone through this said all of this misery will be forgotten the second you take delivery. I sure do hope they are right! This sucks a$$!!!

There's competition coming but is it really any better?

Mustang Mach-E, current order estimate is 24+ weeks. No order status other than "Order placed".

VW ID.4 GTX\AWD, current order estimate is October-December "Maybe"

KIA EV6 1st, "starting in Jan 2022"

BMW i4 "Coming in 2022"

Audi Q4 "maybe starting early 2022"

I ordered my M3 on May 13th and delivery is this Saturday. Even came way under the 8 weeks they quoted me

Hey all! Ordered on 5/18. Got my VIN on Monday. Estimated date changed from 6/25-6/30 to 6/27-6/30 this morning. A little worried because I’ve gotten no text and haven’t gotten the prompt to make my down payment.

Fwiw: blue with 19” wheels and full self-drive.
It does seem like people that ordered extras (especially FSD) get priority over people that ordered the base AWD car.

Mustang Mach-E, current order estimate is 24+ weeks. No order status other than "Order placed".

BMW i4 "Coming in 2022"

I ordered my M3 on May 13th and delivery is this Saturday. Even came way under the 8 weeks they quoted me
This was pretty much where I sat too when looking at what is my next car. Right now Tesla is the only one in mass production. I looked at the Mach-E but a 6 month wait (but no guarantee) with a $1,500 deposit was not going to fly. All the other options that are similar in style and performance are 2022. Maybe our future Tesla family members will get better service when the competition starts coming in 2022.

This was pretty much where I sat too when looking at what is my next car. Right now Tesla is the only one in mass production. I looked at the Mach-E but a 6 month wait (but no guarantee) with a $1,500 deposit was not going to fly. All the other options that are similar in style and performance are 2022. Maybe our future Tesla family members will get better service when the competition starts coming in 2022.

Oh yeah and I forgot about the Mach-E, so Ford said the entire production of 2021 MMEs are sold out (and this was 1-2 months ago).

Yet they are letting everyone still order a "2021" MME, so people ordering right now really have no idea what even model year vehicle or changes in colors\features might be present for 2022 model year

Even the Model 3 competitors coming out in 2022 do have their specs out, and none match the range, performance, etc..

Everyone had their eye on the KIA EV6 but it just flopped (IMO) with a 260 mile range for their longest dual-motor version

Reactions: ytfsic

BMW i4 "Coming in 2022"

Very true! Plus, with Tesla, you get their charging network. None of the others out there have anything nearly as good or reliable as what Tesla has. Rivian will be similar when they get to scale, so we'll see where that goes.

Very true! Plus, with Tesla, you get their charging network. None of the others out there have anything nearly as good or reliable as what Tesla has. Rivian will be similar when they get to scale, so we'll see where that goes.

Yeah, the charging network for me was a bonus, but I really don't see using it very much except for longer road trips.

For me range was very important, 350ish rating, even if my battery degrades 20% over several years I'm still ahead of where most EVs are right now brand new.

The driving experience and performance just sold me though on the test drive. I also liked that Tesla has some good experience now, I know there's some quality issues here and there but the Model 3 will be a few years old now and they've worked out all the major kinks.

These brand new vehicles launching especially from manufactures where it's their first EV are definitely going to have some issues, and they take longer to work things out.

Ford has a major problem with the phone as a key feature on the Mach-E, and they announced they might have a fix by the end of 2021. That's nuts, Tesla would have that fixed in "2 weeks"

Yeah, the charging network for me was a bonus, but I really don't see using it very much except for longer road trips.

For me range was very important, 350ish rating, even if my battery degrades 20% over several years I'm still ahead of where most EVs are right now brand new.

The driving experience and performance just sold me though on the test drive. I also liked that Tesla has some good experience now, I know there's some quality issues here and there but the Model 3 will be a few years old now and they've worked out all the major kinks.

These brand new vehicles launching especially from manufactures where it's their first EV are definitely going to have some issues, and they take longer to work things out.

Ford has a major problem with the phone as a key feature on the Mach-E, and they announced they might have a fix by the end of 2021. That's nuts, Tesla would have that fixed in "2 weeks"
Exactly the same for me! I had ridden in a friend's M3 through a parking garage, but we didn't go faster than 10mph and wasn't behind the steering wheel. My wife had never stepped foot inside a Tesla until our test drive. She was super reluctant and doesn't like change. Heck, she still uses a day planner calendar instead of the one on her iPhone, so I knew I had an uphill challenge in front of me! The second she got behind the wheel and floored it, she had the biggest smile I have seen in a long time! She was instantly sold!

On charging, I actually watched a pretty good overview by Now You Know on YouTube yesterday - they gave a really good breakdown on how far ahead Tesla is over all the competition. Highly recommended watch if y'all have 40 minutes to kill. VW Sells Teslas? | In Depth

Exactly the same for me! I had ridden in a friend's M3 through a parking garage, but we didn't go faster than 10mph and wasn't behind the steering wheel. My wife had never stepped foot inside a Tesla until our test drive. She was super reluctant and doesn't like change. Heck, she still uses a day planner calendar instead of the one on her iPhone, so I knew I had an uphill challenge in front of me! The second she got behind the wheel and floored it, she had the biggest smile I have seen in a long time! She was instantly sold!

On charging, I actually watched a pretty good overview by Now You Know on YouTube yesterday - they gave a really good breakdown on how far ahead Tesla is over all the competition. Highly recommended watch if y'all have 40 minutes to kill. VW Sells Teslas? | In Depth

Interesting timing, but Electrek just posted a story about Tesla opening up the Supercharger network to other vendors in September 2022. The story is about Norway though, so who knows if that's just Norway, EU, etc..

I ended up test driving a 2020 MY LR AWD, 2020 M3 LR AWD, 2021 SR+, and 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD by the time all was said and done. Tesla also has a pretty good test drive system. The last 2021 SR+ I drove the guy said go have fun, try to be back in an hour or so.

The Mustang Mach-E guy was nervous about me wanting to take it for 20 minutes, said 15 minutes was normal

Last edited:
Don't overreact overreact overreact. Yesterday and today the website was claiming my EDD was 2 to 3 months out :( Last week it was between 2 days and the end of June. o_o Today I got a text saying it will be ready in June. :) Who knows what reality is. I won't believe anything until it happens.:rolleyes:
So the text and the website now agree that the EDD is in June.

Interesting timing, but Electrek just posted a story about Tesla opening up the Supercharger network to other vendors in September 2022. The story is about Norway though, so who knows if that's just Norway, EU, etc..

I ended up test driving a 2020 MY LR AWD, 2020 M3 LR AWD, 2021 SR+, and 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD by the time all was said and done. Tesla also has a pretty good test drive system. The last 2021 SR+ I drove the guy said go have fun, try to be back in an hour or so.

The Mustang Mach-E guy was nervous about me wanting to take it for 20 minutes, said 15 minutes was normal
The tesla chargers in Europe are different. The EU made Tesla make all the connectors CCS2, if I recall correctly. That would make them more easily adaptable to other vehicles. Here however, the charger plug is different.

I also test drove a California Edition Mach-E and, while I don't think they should have called it a Mustang, It was a very nice car. So nice, that I started looking at financing options that weekend. The following weekend, however, I test drove a M3LR and I immediately ordered! I could have had my Mach-E from dealer stock 2 months ago, but I don't think I'll regret my decision.

On that note, however, I guess my M3 was damaged during transport to Buena Park. My delivery for 6/23 was pushed back to 6/28 because the Detail team needed more time with the car......I'm guessing broken windshield but let's see wtf they did to it.

In Europe, Tesla Superchargers have two cables instead of one like in NA. One cable is for the Tesla proprietary charger, and another is for CCS2. Model 3s (no Model Y yet) have the CCS2 port instead of the Tesla one. Model S still have the proprietary one, but have an adaptor to be able to use CCS2.

The only thing keeping other cars in Europe from using the Supercharger network was billing. Looks like they've finally have that worked out.

What I really want is a CCS1 adaptor for us in NA. That's going to end up being the defacto standard here in the US, and being able to charge at an ElectrifyAmerica station in emergencies would be great.