Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car arrived!! I decided on a whim to drive by the Cincinnati SC this morning on my way to work hoping I might see a delivery truck on its way in or just to see all the new cars on the lot. Much to my surprise I happened to time my drive by perfectly (pure luck!) and spotted my car sitting outside waiting to be inspected/cleaned up! I got out and verified the VIN and snapped some photos. I didn’t notice and obvious qc issues with the quick inspection I did so I’m really relieved and excited! Can’t wait until my appointment tomorrow!View attachment 622492View attachment 622493View attachment 622494View attachment 622495View attachment 622496
Nice!! Hoping mine came with no QC issues either! Happy almost delivery day.

Reactions: Tholland
Free FSD for 3 months

Attachments

• musk.JPG
    musk.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 111
Upon closer inspection, my car has the front passenger door 'issue', which is not a gap, but the upper forward corner of the door is pushed in, compared to the fender. It's not too bad to request it fixed, plus many other cars have it, so it's more of a door manufacturing issue than an alignment issue IMO, so don't want anybody messing with that; it'd only make matters worse IMO. The other 'issues' are the trunk on the left side from the hinge to where the trunk bends down vertically, there's a bigger gap along the way. If you look from above, gap looks the same. But from the side, you can see a gap; kind of the same issue with the door. It also looks like a defect, not an alignment issue, since it aligns fine everywhere else. The last is on that same (left) side of the trunk, at the top, where the hinge is, the right side is a bit pushed in toward the glass too, but not too bad. Those are the only 3 things that shouldn't be there. All other panels have very minor misalignments, which I consider normal. Please with the car's overall quality, after I lowered my expectations dramatically after reading this forum for days. So thank you for that. Ha ha.

Upon closer inspection, my car has the front passenger door 'issue', which is not a gap, but the upper forward corner of the door is pushed in, compared to the fender. It's not too bad to request it fixed, plus many other cars have it, so it's more of a door manufacturing issue than an alignment issue IMO, so don't want anybody messing with that; it'd only make matters worse IMO. The other 'issues' are the trunk on the left side from the hinge to where the trunk bends down vertically, there's a bigger gap along the way. If you look from above, gap looks the same. But from the side, you can see a gap; kind of the same issue with the door. It also looks like a defect, not an alignment issue, since it aligns fine everywhere else. The last is on that same (left) side of the trunk, at the top, where the hinge is, the right side is a bit pushed in toward the glass too, but not too bad. Those are the only 3 things that shouldn't be there. All other panels have very minor misalignments, which I consider normal. Please with the car's overall quality, after I lowered my expectations dramatically after reading this forum for days. So thank you for that. Ha ha.

Same, I still set up an appointment to have it looked at though. Its weird but I swear opening and closing the trunk has made that misalignment on the left tail light area better

Reactions: Maric
sdowens,
Did the sales folks push you to the car, or did you proactively make this choice?

I had the Westlake folks call me saying they have no idea why all their performance orders aren't even getting VINs, but they didn't even try to push me to accept something else... wondering what they told you!
I proactively made the choice, I kept getting told I am in firm production by the Westlake Ave staff. I don't ever plan to go to the track nor go from 0-60 other than the freeway on-ramp so I decided to go with the LR. After looking back at the Performance forum, sounds like I would have been told March if I had not jumped onto the existing inventory.

Reactions: westernvine
What you’re saying is in line with what I’m suspecting too. These aren’t “alignment” issues but rather manufacturing mistakes, either in the frame that the doors are supposed to go on or less likely on the doors themselves. This is quite serious in my eyes and doesn’t seem solvable. These misalignments also interfere with drag so you theoretically aren’t getting an optimized Cd anymore.

• Informative
My car arrived!! I decided on a whim to drive by the Cincinnati SC this morning on my way to work hoping I might see a delivery truck on its way in or just to see all the new cars on the lot. Much to my surprise I happened to time my drive by perfectly (pure luck!) and spotted my car sitting outside waiting to be inspected/cleaned up! I got out and verified the VIN and snapped some photos. I didn’t notice and obvious qc issues with the quick inspection I did so I’m really relieved and excited! Can’t wait until my appointment tomorrow!View attachment 622492View attachment 622493View attachment 622494View attachment 622495View attachment 622496

Congratulations! So happy for you :)

Good to hear! I will look at my handles tomorrow and let you know. Not heard of anyone else complaining of that though.
I also feel as though I wasn’t going around and fine tooth combing the car. I looked for anything obvious.. but at the end of the day, this car will be my daily driver and it’s going to take a 60 mile round trip beating 5+ days a week, so I wasn’t as critical as I’ve seen some people here. it was kinda nice that it was raining. Reinforced my fear of bad seals and leaking.

Reactions: Mark57 and Y@Trox
Picked up yesterday from the Dublin-Amador Plaza showroom and the whole process went smoothly. :) Second time ordering/working with Bill Ma who I highly recommend! I took my time while I was there accepting delivery but was told to look over everything again when I get home. When I got home I noticed my one wiper is down past the line where they normally rest at and the other is resting on the other. I haven't used them yet and I fear that they will hit so I added it to a service request along with the other minor things I've found. I also have a gap on the front left of my frunk and you can notice the frunk is shifted a bit to the right compared to left. It's minor to me but noticeable. Today I looked underneath and it appears two fasteners are missing for the splash shielding right behind the front left and right tires. Also a flap was open and tucked behind the front left open fastener hole but it was easy to pull out and to close back. I'll include what I've taken so far but I haven't had a chance to take more pictures in the daylight. Will post more later.2020-12-29_15-36-09_203.jpg 2020-12-29_18-26-38_224.jpg 2020-12-29_21-35-23_205.jpg 2020-12-29_21-38-08_847.jpg 2020-12-29_21-38-21_713.jpg 2020-12-29_21-41-14_170.jpg 2020-12-29_21-41-32_438.jpg 2020-12-29_21-47-47_417.jpg 2020-12-30_15-33-18_482.jpg 2020-12-30_15-34-32_489.jpg

Car arrived and there were no panel gaps I felt needed addressed! Is it standard that the rear door handles are a little more sunk in than the fronts?

I have this exact same issue on mine, delivered two days ago. We were at the service center to have fixes made to our (also) new MY, and were told the fix for door handles is an easy one.

I also have the alignment issue with the front passenger door and the front quarter panel, as well as a front door passenger rattle. All three are being fixed in a Jan 13 visit to the service center.

Quality of the paint seems to be really really good, but it appears they are not painting the inside of the doors where the hinges mount to the frame of the car. Not at all visible when the doors are closed, but with the doors open you can plainly see gray primer with what essentially appears to be a light coating of overspray. Very noticeable with my blue metallic paint. I assume all red and black cars would have an equally hard time hiding this issue.

Very very happy with the car otherwise, but these quality issues and cost-saving measures do take some of the excitement away.

Edit - last gripe - I was not allowed to pick up from Fremont as I initially wanted to. I had to accept home delivery. But rather than have the car delivered on a flatbed, the car was driven from Fremont to my house in San Francisco. So it came with nearly 60 miles on the odometer. Our Model Y delivered last week arrived at the house on a flatbed with 5 miles on the clock. Again, no issues as a result, but less than ideal.

White on white LR ordered Oct 20 for SoCal delivery, got VIN last Sunday and took delivery today! It’s been a long 10 weeks with some issues along the way but the first drive made it all worthwhile! The 1yr supercharging, 3mo FSD, and $1500 CA clean fuel credit were all icing on the cake I didnt expect 10 weeks ago but I’ll take them!

White on white LR ordered Oct 20 for SoCal delivery, got VIN last Sunday and took delivery today! It’s been a long 10 weeks with some issues along the way but the first drive made it all worthwhile! The 1yr supercharging, 3mo FSD, and $1500 CA clean fuel credit were all icing on the cake I didnt expect 10 weeks ago but I’ll take them!

Don’t forget this in CA.

Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

So... Ordered right before Thanksgiving. Promised the car would be delivered 3-4 weeks. 16-21 of December was the initial date. Then 28th 29th and 31st. Now not coming before the end of the year. They are offering white on white inventory vehicles. But not what we want. There's a lot of those apparently. Now missing out on incentives... What went wrong? Oh yeah. Vehicle was sitting in a lot in Jersey for a week

Now have to work with financing because it was signed today on the promise..

White/white Long Range ordered from inventory on 12/13 and delivered today (was supposed to be 12/28 then changed to 12/30 then to today). A quick look around the car showed nothing scary so off I went! I'll go over it more critically tomorrow as it's dark now but I am ecstatic!
This is our second Tesla (Wifes Model Y Long Range was delivered in early October) and for anyone in RI/CT/MA: Jonathan L. at the Warwick store was fantastic to work with through both transactions.