Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went through this on this very thread on this page or the one before. They come from the fremont factory. The us/canada/mexico still displays “353mi” EPA rating. The EU pages displays 614km WLTP rating. It is the same car, just range measured a different way.

check this article for more details.
So, why they didn't update the range on all Model 3 LRs? Only the ones with the wood trim are advertised with 614km

So, why they didn't update the range on all Model 3 LRs? Only the ones with the wood trim are advertised with 614km
I don’t understand what is not clear? It is the same range but from a different standard of measurement. North American laws requires the range to be displayed from the EPA standard. In EU you can use WLTP. They measure range differently and reach different values for the same car. They are advertised as WLTP 614km. The tesla website is super clear about it. There is a link right below the range toward the standard (EPA if North American, WLTP if EU). The article explains it all very well. Hope that’s more clear.

My delivery date was just pushed from 5/20-6/10 to 6/4-6/24. I feel heartbroken. My plan is unchanged though. If the S begins production before I get my 3, I’ll likely switch. If not, I’m going to really enjoy my model 3 LR for a couple years.
I know, that is the worst feeling. Mine has gone from as early as May 05 - May 13 to as far as June 08 - June 28. Now it is sitting at May 25 - June 14, but I expect that to move back or forwards at any day. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason to these estimated delivery dates and I think the key thing to remember is they are just "estimates." We have seen people order this quarter and get their VIN within a week. I suppose it all depends on what cars Tesla is making on a given day and where they are allocated to. There might also be some truth to the East-to-west theory, but I ordered on 04/01 am in Northern New Hampshire, picking up in NJ, about as East as it gets, and people who live West of me and ordered after me already have VINs. If anything, it is encouraging. Hoping we get our VINs soon :)

Thank you for your explanation. I really want to understand it, but I don't. I know WLTP is a different way of range measurement, and it's more optimistic than EPA. In Europe, Tesla updated the WLTP range from 580km to 614km. Does it mean that they got a better score with the same car? If they did, why they only updated the range from 580 to 614 only in cars with the wooden trim? If all cars are the same, it would be reasonable that all the model 3 show the new updated score, but they don't. And that's what I don't understand...

Thank you for your explanation. I really want to understand it, but I don't. I know WLTP is a different way of range measurement, and it's more optimistic than EPA. In Europe, Tesla updated the WLTP range from 580km to 614km. Does it mean that they got a better score with the same car? If they did, why they only updated the range from 580 to 614 only in cars with the wooden trim? If all cars are the same, it would be reasonable that all the model 3 show the new updated score, but they don't. And that's what I don't understand...
Tesla will obviously advertise the best range they legally can. It's a better WLTP measured range from the same car. So yes it a "re-scoring" of the 580km car. The fact that the range update on the website came with the trim change is a coincidence. The WLTP rating came out recently. In other words, if you get a "pre trim update" car, it's still "614 km range". Which is the same 353 mi EPA range (568km). The wooden trim is not an option you either get the pre-trim update or you don't (both with the same range).

You could think of EPA vs WLTP as comparing the speed from the same runner over a half marathon vs a full marathon. And think of the new WLTP rating as the same guy running another half marathon and doing better but still being the same runner. And he wears fancier shoes.

Tesla will obviously advertise the best range they legally can. It's a better WLTP measured range from the same car. So yes it a "re-scoring" of the 580km car. The fact that the range update on the website came with the trim change is a coincidence. The WLTP rating came out recently. In other words, if you get a "pre trim update" car, it's still "614 km range". Which is the same 353 mi EPA range (568km). The wooden trim is not an option you either get the pre-trim update or you don't (both with the same range).

You could think of EPA vs WLTP as comparing the speed from the same runner over a half marathon vs a full marathon. And think of the new WLTP rating as the same guy running another half marathon and doing better but still being the same runner. And he wears fancier shoes.
But the thing is that they are still advertising cars with 580km in Europe. For example, in Spain you can see cars in stock that offers 580, and others 614. They didn't update all the cars. So they differentiate between 2 different cars, with different ranges

Last edited:
But the thing is that they are still advertising cars with 580km. They didn't update all the cars. So they differentiate between 2 different cars, with different ranges
There is no update. There are the regions where they must use EPA rating to advertise and regions where they can use the more generous WLTP one. It is the same car from the same factory with the same parts.

There is no update. There are the regions where they must use EPA rating to advertise and regions where they can use the more generous WLTP one. It is the same car from the same factory with the same parts.
I'm not sure you are reading my posts. I'm saying that in Spain, for example, they advertise cars with 580 and others with 614, both WLTP. If they are the same car, with the same measurement, why they advertise different ranges?

I'm not sure you are reading my posts. I'm saying that in Spain, for example, they advertise cars with 580 and others with 614, both WLTP. If they are the same car, with the same measurement, why they advertise different ranges?
From the tesla website? I just checked and the LR is 614 and there are no other LR on the page. If you are looking at old inventory, you may be looking at pre 82kwh models (transition was mid 2020 I think).

Just seeing more details of how the sausage is made. The plant sometimes doesn't meet their daily schedule because of anything from worker outage to equipment faults, to part delivery shortfalls.....things shift right (on your EDD). Everything works better than expected, some people cancel orders or delay,......EDD shifts left.

The difference is that Tesla is being (more) transparent to buyers. The other option is to not tell us anything.

The reality is that things are only shifting no more than 10-30 days left or right, and most times things are shifting less than 10 days.

I'm enjoying the wait.......Ordered last week of March. I need the car by end of June. I'm feeling good. If they deliver earlier, great, if they don't met their advertised delivery at my time of purchase (1-13 weeks) I will be surprised.

PLUS all of us in before two price hikes.

The only downside on this whole thing is the potential tax breaks we might miss out on if Congress passes something after our purchase.

Reactions: EVxdream
Ok so I dug up some further info (see this thread MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc )

The performance were the first to get the 82kwh batteries. So we apparently are going through LR transitions from the 75kwh to the 82kwh packs hence the differences. But as far as I can tell, the 82kwh is 640km not 614km (although that may be inconsistencies in the reporting of the range). So there are indeed 2 EU LR models, the "580km" and the "614km". I am guessing that moving forward, future buyers will only have the 82kwh available.

Reactions: pep_dj
My date shifted today for the first time. Was May 24th - June 11th. Now it says June 6th - June 26th.

I live in El Paso TX and ordered a red on white LR with 19" wheels. No FSD. Order date was April 11th.
I was at the Tesla Gallery yesterday test driving a M3 LR and met the regional manager who was visiting them. He said if I wanted to get delivery before the end of the quarter I should think about putting and order in soon. Your experience seems to confirm this.

My date shifted today for the first time. Was May 24th - June 11th. Now it says June 6th - June 26th.

I live in El Paso TX and ordered a red on white LR with 19" wheels. No FSD. Order date was April 11th.
In TX also, I had the same changes, but mine just changed to May 6 - May 15th now. This is after it had changed to June 6 to June 26th just earlier this morning.

My SA yesterday said to expect it in late May, as most cars are going to Europe right now.