Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance being possibly disabled on delivery really bums me out. I've seen enough Whaam Bam Tesla Cam to respect that feature and I want it on my 2 hour daily commute. Dually trucks have come into my lane at least twice a week getting extremely close to my car.

Reactions: CyberPilot
The removal of radar was already happening and has been a primary focus of the engineering team for months now. The speculation is that the refreshed S and X models don't have radar and will need it complete for launch.

A shortage of radar components has accelerated the transition for the 3. I'm okay with that. I'd rather have features disabled and a car sooner than to have to wait for the hardware to be available again.

Reactions: ZeroTo325
I am sure it was tested, but there is nothing like thousands of drivers providing real world data for the purposes of fine tuning.

Also, if you are wary of it, you could not use the autopilot features for a while until it is more mature.
I'm wary of a vision-only implementation, which isn't what I was buying into when I put down my deposit earlier this month. If they knew the cars shipped at that point wouldn't have the radar sensor they should've changed their marketing material sooner and not 3 full weeks later.

I am sure it was tested, but there is nothing like thousands of drivers providing real world data for the purposes of fine tuning.

Also, if you are wary of it, you could not use the autopilot features for a while until it is more mature.
Yeah I probably won't use it much at first until some others have started using it. At this point I'll take them releasing the car with restricted autopilot features vs delaying the car any longer, I can live without autopilot for a few weeks.

teslavision.jpg

I have to say, not feeling very comfortable with the removal of radar. It's an important technology and I don't feel like asking my wife to beta test unproven safety features in a $50k car. Going to have to mull this one over and decide if we cancel our reservation.

Nothing forcing you to use the features though. If you are worried about it being too much of a beta right now, if you feel it will be less of a beta in a year or two, then start using them at that point.

Unless you don't actually need a new car now. Then waiting makes more sense

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
Nothing forcing you to use the features though. If you are worried about it being too much of a beta right now, if you feel it will be less of a beta in a year or two, then start using them at that point.

Unless you don't actually need a new car now. Then waiting makes more sense
This is about how the change impacts safety, e.g. automatic emergency braking. I expect everything about this car to be at least as good as a c-segment sedan the day it's delivered, otherwise what's the point?

Sure get a feeling of a new sense of vigor going on...could the flood gates be getting ready to open? However you want to word it, I "feel" like something is happening...or about to...don't want to get too excited, but all the chatter on radar/vision, different SC's showing all their hazard lights on (possible firmware updates), etc. Like a flurry of new info....come on.....

This is about how the change impacts safety, e.g. automatic emergency braking. I expect everything about this car to be at least as good as a c-segment sedan the day it's delivered, otherwise what's the point?
To add to this, they may be removing Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance at delivery. Like, what? We're just supposed to take delivery of a nerfed car whose main differentiating/selling features have been rolled back to Beta or outright disabled without even questioning it a bit?

Reactions: CyberPilot