Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, if we were waiting for VINs to be assigned as the vehicles were potentially at their SC, do we think that the reason why a lot of the West Coast received their VIN yesterday was because their SC was open as my SC closed at 6 PM on the East Coast and opens at 10 AM today? With that being said we could see some VINs roll in today on the East Coast when they open. My hypothesis
Pretty sound hypothesis if you ask me. But I’m an optimist sometimes.

You unfortunately only have 3 days once a VIN is assigned to pick up the car, otherwise it will be given to someone else. If the SC is open on Saturday/Sunday, they will do deliveries then as well.

Is it 3 days period or a 3 day timeframe while the SC is open for? Lets say I get notified on a Thursday. 3 days is through Sunday, but SC is closed on Sunday's. Would the 3rd day then be moved to Monday or only chance to pick up is Friday or Saturday before car is taken from you?

You unfortunately only have 3 days once a VIN is assigned to pick up the car, otherwise it will be given to someone else. If the SC is open on Saturday/Sunday, they will do deliveries then as well.
This made me look up the hours of the SC I chose to pickup from and they of course are closed on the weekend (how did I not think to look this up sooner?). Do they deliver at showrooms? If so, would that screw up my delivery if I asked to pickup elsewhere? I have to drive 2+ hours to get there and was planning on asking a friend for a ride. They likely can’t get off work during the week…

Wow three days, thanks for the replies. hopefully it's not available for me until Wednesday at earliest (assuming I can pick up Saturday)
Normally they should assign the vin before it gets to the lot, the ones that got delivered yesterday had been delivered to the lots but VINs weren't assigned yet because of the software update. I would expect anything moving forward you should have a little more notice on what your delivery dates will be.

This made me look up the hours of the SC I chose to pickup from and they of course are closed on the weekend (how did I not think to look this up sooner?). Do they deliver at showrooms? If so, would that screw up my delivery if I asked to pickup elsewhere? I have to drive 2+ hours to get there and was planning on asking a friend for a ride. They likely can’t get off work during the week…
This is a great question but I do not know the answer. It would seem unfair to say 3 days when the SC is closed for 2 of those days. I'd call them and ask this question. Mine is open on the weekend so I don't have this concern.

Delivery date is separate than VIN assignment.
In my case when I got my car in March I had a delivery date set BEFORE my vin was ever assigned.
If your on the east coast your more likely to get a VIN one to two weeks before delivery as the car has to be transported from Fremont.

This is a great question but I do not know the answer. It would seem unfair to say 3 days when the SC is closed for 2 of those days. I'd call them and ask this question. Mine is open on the weekend so I don't have this concern.
Thanks for the reply. I actually originally looked at Google for the hours (like I do for most places) and decided to look at Tesla’s site to verify just now. Turns out the Service side is closed on the weekend but they have Sales available on the weekend. So it seems this shouldn’t be an issue for me.

The ones that got the VINs and short notice for pickup were early (March in most cases) that were matched to a car that is already at the delivery center. In my location (Ottawa, Canada), that is pretty much exclusively Model 3 SR+ and Model Y LR. Those are the two most popular models in Canada. March orders for other variations (such as mine) are still waiting because the cars are not yet built, or perhaps in transit.

Reactions: travis3000
Do we know if priority is based on order date or "I'm ready" date? I placed an order on March 11. They offered me a car a few days later, but I couldn't take delivery so account was placed on hold. I clicked the "I'm ready" button April 10. Am I still at the top of the list since I'm an early March order even though I didn't take delivery?

SR+, white, black int, no FSD, 3/11/21 order date. Picking up in Dallas (seems like no Dallas MY or M3 VINs yet across the board.)

Do we know if priority is based on order date or "I'm ready" date? I placed an order on March 11. They offered me a car a few days later, but I couldn't take delivery so account was placed on hold. I clicked the "I'm ready" button April 10. Am I still at the top of the list since I'm an early March order even though I didn't take delivery?

SR+, white, black int, no FSD, 3/11/21 order date. Picking up in Dallas (seems like no Dallas MY or M3 VINs yet across the board.)
By the “I’m ready” date.

From what I've heard, you probably got put back into the list as if you ordered April 10th.

For what it's worth, I texted my SA yesterday since my order page hasn't displayed an estimated delivery date for 2 weeks now to make sure my order was still expected before the end of June, this is the first time he hasn't responded to a question, trying not to read too much into it. Ordered April 1st.
I just went though chat on the Tesla site and they refused to answer if they expected it to be delivered before the end of June or even end of July. Not particularly hopeful at this point.