Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else very angry about getting a car with serious downgrades due to Tesla Vision?

A big reason I purchased this was AP for road trips where 75mph+ is definitely needed, and the emergency lane departure assist. To have those limited/removed seriously degrades the value of the car in my mind. And to tell people this surprise after waiting for 2 months is pretty messed up too…
Nope. There was no moment where I said, "this model 3 is so cool because it has radar" I swear i've seen posts where they said the features that are limited will have those limits removed incrementally. If it makes you angry you can cancel your order...I'd rather be out $100 than $50k

Honestly, I don't anticipate these features being limited for very long (because of the information shared that there would be updates within weeks of this change I believe...). I'm continuing to be hopeful that the AI team knows what they are doing with this. Just my thoughts/initial reaction to the news.
I surely hope you’re right! At this point I’m taking the car either way, but still disappointing. The announcement reads to me as they are not confident enough in the vision yet, and basically need us new buyers to live test it. Makes me wonder by how much AP-related incidents will increase on Vision only systems (comparatively) until they figure it out.

I emailed my delivery center with a bit of gripe and basically said if there’s a car with radar there among the lot, to assign that one to me. Idk I’m definitely being salty but this situation is highly disappointing to me.

I surely hope you’re right! At this point I’m taking the car either way, but still disappointing. The announcement reads to me as they are not confident enough in the vision yet, and basically need us new buyers to live test it. Makes me wonder by how much AP-related incidents will increase on Vision only systems (comparatively) until they figure it out.

I emailed my delivery center with a bit of gripe and basically said if there’s a car with radar there among the lot, to assign that one to me. Idk I’m definitely being salty but this situation is highly disappointing to me.
I doubt they would release it to the public if they are not confident in the technology. That would just hurt their image more if it resulted in more incidents. Having tens of thousands of us use it will give them more data though so that will just make the technology even better.

Reactions: FDNYC

From my understanding they are disabling the radar in all Teslas, so it doesn't really matter if yours has one or not.

I doubt they would release it to the public if they are not confident in the technology. That would just hurt their image more if it resulted in more incidents. Having tens of thousands of us use it will give them more data though so that will just make the technology even better.
Definitely agree with this. The wording and timeline perhaps is pending government assessment and evaluations? Though Elon is usually bullish on his products and future concepts, but I don't think he would release products to people if it is not safe.

I'm definitely disappointed in the removal of radar. I think it's good to have a backup method in case the first is rendered unusable. It may not be used almost all of the time, but it's good to have for certain situations like topping a hill and being blinded by sunlight on the horizon (I would expect the cameras to be blinded by that as well). However, I'm not getting FSD, and I'm still very iffy about relying on autopilot fully, so it doesn't affect me tooo much.

Reactions: IAmZeDoctor
Yes financing with money down. I can do the check. I don’t love the idea of ACH.
they will be happy to take your check on delivery.
I paid in advance by ACH, no problems at all, in fact I think you get to leave the dealership early and easily by having this done in advance. I also sent them my insurance info early in the day, license plate in rear on the car when I arrived.

Pretty sound hypothesis if you ask me. But I’m an optimist sometimes.

Is anyone else very angry about getting a car with serious downgrades due to Tesla Vision?

A big reason I purchased this was AP for road trips where 75mph+ is definitely needed, and the emergency lane departure assist. To have those limited/removed seriously degrades the value of the car in my mind. And to tell people this surprise after waiting for 2 months is pretty messed up too…
If the Tesla Vision and downgrade for a short period of time is unacceptable to you, then refuse the car and get back in the queue.

Reactions: ReturnZero
From my understanding they are disabling the radar in all Teslas, so it doesn't really matter if yours has one or not.
I have no problem with long term vision of vision-only, but delivering a car with reduced capabilities (and getting alerted of this 2 months after order) really grinds my gears.

In my mind, if it worked at parity with or without radar, there wouldn’t be limitations upon delivery

Reactions: IAmZeDoctor
I have no problem with long term vision of vision-only, but delivering a car with reduced capabilities (and getting alerted of this 2 months after order) really grinds my gears.

In my mind, if it worked at parity with or without radar, there wouldn’t be limitations upon delivery

I hope your order matches mine and you reject the car due to the temporary limitations.

As the guy above said, I just want my damn Tesla.