Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I made some moves today and my wait is over. Originally placed an order on 4/9 for a Grey LR with black interior. No VIN, EDD showing 6/20-6/30. I happened to be browsing the existing inventory and found the exact same build with >50 miles. Had an impulsive moment and took it - after some calls with Tesla delivery, come to find it's a brand new car being built this weekend. It's supposed to be put on a truck on Sunday and I have an appointment to pick up at Burbank on Tuesday. How a brand new car, same build, was just sitting there and didn't go to me or someone else who has been waiting is beyond me. But, I'm done asking questions and sitting in purgatory waiting for dates. Godspeed to you all. Praying for no issues and a good pickup experience.
This is how I got my MY on June 10th. At that time, it was brand new non-demo MYs that were popping up randomly throughout the day. Today I saw a bunch of M3s. They’re probably pumping out more than just what people have ordered to make deliveries before the quarter ends.

This is how I got my MY on June 10th. At that time, it was brand new non-demo MYs that were popping up randomly throughout the day. Today I saw a bunch of M3s. They’re probably pumping out more than just what people have ordered to make deliveries before the quarter ends.
So weird - so why wouldn't you match those extra builds with people waiting? Makes no sense.

Reactions: kerbyOT7
Well my SA got back to me after 14 hours. I got the email equivalent of a shrug. Not sure why it says 9-13 weeks now. Just wait and see if something frees up. If I want I can transfer to a demo car if I can find one. Pretty much all the demo cars out there are performance versions and the spouse is not down with that kind of spend.

Reactions: JoJa15
Yep - couple hundred extra bucks to get the payment I originally wanted. I'm fortunately in a position where that's not a huge deal.
Hey congrats! I did the exact same thing. I ordered 4/3 and had nothing until I found the exact build on existing inventory. I will be picking it up on 6/24.

Are you sure it was only a couple hundred bucks? Since my order in april, model 3 went up $2000. My SA/his manager was able to move the new car to my first order so I didn't have to pay extra. I just lost out on the non refundable $100 for placing another order.

So weird - so why wouldn't you match those extra builds with people waiting? Makes no sense.
Only reason I can think is orders already made in a way are guaranteed. I imagine only a very small percentage back out. If you can sell to additional people then you are increasing sales. It would be a shitty thing to do and I am not saying that is what they are doing. You just said it makes no sense and the above is one potential reason that could make sense. I am sure there are others.

Hey congrats! I did the exact same thing. I ordered 4/3 and had nothing until I found the exact build on existing inventory. I will be picking it up on 6/24.

Are you sure it was only a couple hundred bucks? Since my order in april, model 3 went up $2000. My SA/his manager was able to move the new car to my first order so I didn't have to pay extra. I just lost out on the non refundable $100 for placing another order.
Kudos to you for the patience in working that out with them. I was afraid of losing the car so I just jumped on it. I ended up putting $500 extra down and my payment is like, $10 more. So, whatever that maths out to.

Just made an account to post and have been lurking for the past 4 weeks. Someone here earlier said their SA claims that people who received an email for final payment as an error but will receive a VIN may be correct as I just got a VIN 40 minutes ago and received the error email at 6:40 AM.

Ordered 5/24
Red exterior white interior, LR AWD, 18 in aero wheel, FSD
Delivery date 6/21-6/29
I need to submit final payment now :)
Ive heard rumors that submitting final payment through cashiers check rather than wire transfer will delay delivery time. Do you know if there is any truth to this?

Reactions: JoJa15
1624068658827.png

So I expected some end of quarter craziness, but all of this seems even crazier than usual, even by their standards.

Just got off the phone with my local Tesla dealer and the guy said the finalize payment email everyone is getting is a glitch, BUT it means we have been matched to a VIN, it's just not showing in their systems. So if this guy is to be believed, if you received the finalize payment email today, you should have a VIN in your account but you don't because their systems are screwed up. He said they are working to fix it and the VIN should show up this weekend.

So now a bunch of us who have been waiting a while have VINs...we just don't have VINs.
I received the "complete final payment" email this morning. Though, nothing changed in my account at that time, at 3pm when I checked my account again, I was asked to accept Tesla Vision, and my VIN was there. My EDD changed from 9-13 weeks to June 26-30. Still not sure if theres a coincidence in timing or not but wanted to throw my situation into the mix .