Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting tidbit I picked up that I'm not sure has been picked up yet. When I called the SA to ask about the 12v battery / processor, he was reading the sticker to himself and read "Microprocessor controlled battery" or something along those lines, but I remember hearing something stick out about a CPU controlling the battery. It all just clicked now a couple hours later.

From what we've seen, it looks like the li-ion 12v battery is paired up with the Ryzen, but there have been randoms say they got the new battery with Intel (no proof though). I'm wondering if that wording has any merit with the need for them to be together.

Edit: not sure if he was skimming by the battery pack..which I just am now seeing has been referenced to as that

Interesting to see the capability of different SA’s, hence, as I said before, it makes more sense to report on the chip and battery after delivery
We obviously don't have that luxury now. I think most users, myself included, are interested in what information people are getting from their SAs. Even if it ends up being false info, that's valuable information going forward.

Reactions: brojas10
We obviously don't have that luxury now. I think most users, myself included, are interested in what information people are getting from their SAs. Even if it ends up being false info, that's valuable information going forward.
Statistically speaking, based on the current info from the SAs is like having forecasts on the chips/batteries without any historical data and that is really not that much valuable. Furthermore, the feedback from the SAs is all over the place (for example my SA said that the new chip is not included in the current Model 3 production) so that at this point you could just flip a coin and assume new components based on that outcome.

Going on forward, we will have some deliveries this week and once we have some data after reported deliveries, the forecast will be more accurate. I'll report back once I get my car early February.

From what I've been seeing on here, it looks like West Coasters' patience is being tested.... Did anyone in CA get a VIN recently? I am edging onto desperation here. OD 8/30 (LR White/Black/Aero/No FSD) and still no VIN. My current EDD is 1/20 to 2/17, we shall see this week if the window narrows or if I get yet another EDD. At this point I am starting to doubt they even make those cars still. 🤪
OD 10/26(LR Grey/Black/Aero/No FSD)…EDD is 1/18-1/28

Reactions: CarlThompson
From what I've been seeing on here, it looks like West Coasters' patience is being tested.... Did anyone in CA get a VIN recently? I am edging onto desperation here. OD 8/30 (LR White/Black/Aero/No FSD) and still no VIN. My current EDD is 1/20 to 2/17, we shall see this week if the window narrows or if I get yet another EDD. At this point I am starting to doubt they even make those cars still. 🤪
Nor cal here. I got a VIN on Friday that I unmatched from. So its happening to some extent.

Reactions: In_the_process
And they were able to tell you it didn’t have it?
The reliability factor of SA information varies wildly from SA to SA and maybe suspect in general. However, there is a trend on this thread and others of SA's being able to relay that information back to you. How they are determining this, how accurate their determination is, etc, is open to debate. But yes, I did have my SA dig into it as he was initially under the impression all new builds off the line would have AMD's but eventually came back to me with information that it had the old Intel Atom which seems to follow the production trend of deliveries on this forum.

Interesting tidbit I picked up that I'm not sure has been picked up yet. When I called the SA to ask about the 12v battery / processor, he was reading the sticker to himself and read "Microprocessor controlled battery" or something along those lines, but I remember hearing something stick out about a CPU controlling the battery. It all just clicked now a couple hours later.

From what we've seen, it looks like the li-ion 12v battery is paired up with the Ryzen, but there have been randoms say they got the new battery with Intel (no proof though). I'm wondering if that wording has any merit with the need for them to be together.

Edit: not sure if he was skimming by the battery pack..which I just am now seeing has been referenced to as that
I think when they say microprocessor controlled battery, they're referring to the embedded microcontroller in the 12V lithium ion battery module. Since the old lead acid battery has no such microcontroller, looks like Tesla is explicitly calling that out for whatever reason in their docs. That battery microcontroller is different from the Ryzen infotainment processor. I wonder if the SA's are reading "microprocessor controlled battery" and are (incorrectly) translating that to mean Ryzen.

Here's more info on that microprocessor in the 12V lithium battery in a teardown:

Reactions: TheJDJ
I think when they say microprocessor controlled battery, they're referring to the embedded microcontroller in the 12V lithium ion battery module. Since the old lead acid battery has no such microcontroller, looks like Tesla is explicitly calling that out for whatever reason in their docs. That battery microcontroller is different from the Ryzen infotainment processor. I wonder if the SA's are reading "microprocessor controlled battery" and are (incorrectly) translating that to mean Ryzen.

Here's more info on that microprocessor in the 12V lithium battery in a teardown:
Thanks for the info! My comment was purely speculation on my end. The SA specifically said it was the new Li-ion battery, I just caught those words leading up to it.

Between that and the fact that many reports are saying the new 12v is always paired with the Ryzen processor, I was wondering if maybe it was something with the CPU controlling the 12v. But, looks like there’s just a separate processor in the 12v battery itself - super interesting stuff!

Reactions: ev_go123
Possible fantastic Ryzen news. Apologies for not capturing exact dates here.

East Coast US (DC Area)
M3LR
Black Ext
White Int
Aeros
No FSD

OD: 10/13/21
Hold 1: 10/14/21
Off Hold 1: 11/17/21
EDD as of 11/22: 12/16/12/31
VIN Assigned: ~12/16/21
Delivery Scheduled: 12/28
Sometime before delivery, possibly a couple days before Christmas, I called to unmatch and be put on hold to target a 22 delivery

Off Hold2: 1/3/22
EDD for first few days: 2/20-3/03
EDD as of ~ 1/8: 1/22-2/5
EDD as of 1/15: 1/21-1/27
VIN Assigned: 1/17 153xxx
Called TA 1/17: Confirmed build date of 1/09/22. Confirmed 12v Li-ion. Speculated Ryzen (does not say on sticker but said he believed they were produced together). Scheduled delivery.
Delivery Date: 1/23

I will update when I take delivery about the Ryzen!

Edit to include VIN
Edit to update OD
That’s awesome to hear about the battery and gives me hope for an earlier delivery date (unless yours is on a truck full of white interiors!).

Possible fantastic Ryzen news. Apologies for not capturing exact dates here.

East Coast US (DC Area)
M3LR
Black Ext
White Int
Aeros
No FSD

OD: 10/13/21
Hold 1: 10/14/21
Off Hold 1: 11/17/21
EDD as of 11/22: 12/16/12/31
VIN Assigned: ~12/16/21
Delivery Scheduled: 12/28
Sometime before delivery, possibly a couple days before Christmas, I called to unmatch and be put on hold to target a 22 delivery

Off Hold2: 1/3/22
EDD for first few days: 2/20-3/03
EDD as of ~ 1/8: 1/22-2/5
EDD as of 1/15: 1/21-1/27
VIN Assigned: 1/17 153xxx
Called TA 1/17: Confirmed build date of 1/09/22. Confirmed 12v Li-ion. Speculated Ryzen (does not say on sticker but said he believed they were produced together). Scheduled delivery.
Delivery Date: 1/23

I will update when I take delivery about the Ryzen!

Edit to include VIN
Edit to update OD
Same area as you,
OD 1/5
EDD: 2/20-3/20

Hoping it is closer to the 2/20 as I wont be here all of March.. Fingers crossed

Reactions: CarlThompson
+1 to this. I’ve had Geico for 15 years and they previously gave me the best rates on prior vehicles (Audis + BMWs). Because of this thread I researched Progressive and found that they have a much more favorable rate. Going to switch when my vehicle is delivered.
Progressive's quoted me $50 a month less than Geico which is my current insurance. However, I have an accident forgiveness with Geico which won't be the case with Progressive

Looks like you will be the first to take delivery and hopefully confirm about the battery and processor. Interesting, your order date is later than mine (my OD=10/23) but your VIN is smaller (received my VIN yesterday 1/16 as 158xxx). My SA just texted that the Ryzen is not included yet in M3 production but did not provide any info on the battery. Looking forward to your feedback once you get the car.
According to this spreadsheet 153XXX VINs got Ryzen