Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a a decent middle ground between living paycheck to paycheck and having a net worth of a million+. I mean really if everyone practiced that sort of financial behavior, the economy would grind to a halt (and a lot of those folks with a high net worth would no longer have a high net worth as their extra income largely comes from the market).

For a net worth of a million, you’re looking at the top 10% of Americans households (so not even individual). More Teslas have been sold than Americans with that worth. Never mind the number of people with $50k+ cars.
I think these are great points and @CaptainKrunch had a good point if not very eloquently said. Insurance should be directly related (at a minimum) to what assets you need to protect, and also the risk you might be spending years and a lot of your money paying for an at fault accident if you don't have sufficient coverage.

I almost laughed when looking at insurance at a new company and the default liability coverage was only 100k. There is a McLaren 720S and Ferrari 458 that park on the street by our house. They are literally about 1 or 2 cars apart. Just drift slightly on the street and you could easily catch a G500, and Taycan along with the 720 and 458. A mil policy might just be enough depending on the amount of damage you did.

I remember a friend who was a little light on insurance 20 years ago and got into a pretty bad accident took almost the next 10 years to pay off the damage he caused over and above the minimal limits of insurance coverage.

I hate to overpay what is basically a commodity so I always make sure to stack everything in my favor even for getting a quote with a new company even if it means waiting a bit to position myself as best I can. It seems like almost all of them check your credit report and I try to make sure I wait at least 3 years if any recent blemishes on my or my partner's traffic report. In my personal experience if I am at least at 760-770 credit score (depending on bureau) I am going to get as good as they have to offer. I always look for all the discounts I am eligible for such as grad/undergrad school affiliations, educational levels, married, multi-car etc.

I was just shopping recently and insurance seems crazier than normal. I have cars insured in different states. If I can have 2 cars on the same state policy, I can insure them both for almost the same, nor not much more, than either on individually in either TX or FL. I also had a quote done before buying a house a few months ago. I went back to execute the quote and it had gone from $2700 to $4800 for the EXACT same coverage. Nothing has changed on our end. I asked the agent and he said we were about as well positioned as we could be but there were a lot of losses over the last year so the carrier was re-rating all the policies. This was with a difference carrier than we have in Florida but previously they were cheaper than if we were to use our current carrier in Texas. So I checked with that carrier and damned if they didn't go up a significant amount but were now cheaper than the new carrier. I checked if we renewed in Florida and it was the same as last year other than about a 5% discounts as we get some discounts based on time with that carrier. This validated that nothing changed on our end (credit/tickets/losses/etc.).

I greatly appreciated the insurance sidebar going on here. It looks like Costco Connect will definitely save me a lot of money over either Geico or Progressive at this point.

Now just have to wait impatient for the S and 3 to show up as the chaos monkey throws darts at the EDD calendar. I don't car about Ryzen or Atom but would like the dual pane rear windows. Not sure how truth there is regarding range loss because of the Ryzen chipset.

Reactions: Paul4343
Father,
I write to you tonight with a heavy heart. I am beginning to lose sight of the days since I began this trek. I don’t want to falter, but the spirits in the camp are beginning to waver. Talk around the fires is drifting. I overheard a discussion about “insurance” - will have to investigate more. Some of the others report good news from their contacts outside the camp. I suspect they’ll be leaving our number soon if the rumors are true. I hope for good news myself within the fortnight. Please let my dear sister know I’ll write her soon.

Yes, let's be patient and wait until the deliveries come in instead of trusting relayed/hearsay SA information that is all over the place. I am going to provide one data point for VIN 158XXX the 1st week of February when I take my delivery and I think there are some deliveries also coming this and the following week. We'll have more information soon.

Reactions: just_a_data_gu
Reactions: brojas10
Father,
I write to you tonight with a heavy heart. I am beginning to lose sight of the days since I began this trek. I don’t want to falter, but the spirits in the camp are beginning to waver. Talk around the fires is drifting. I overheard a discussion about “insurance” - will have to investigate more. Some of the others report good news from their contacts outside the camp. I suspect they’ll be leaving our number soon if the rumors are true. I hope for good news myself within the fortnight. Please let my dear sister know I’ll write her soon.
Fear not, stalwart fortune-hunter, as your tireless cohort the_tdog lies in wait as well. just_a_data_gu shall not patrol these forsaken lands in solitary.

PS: I sure would like it if my VIN showed up!

• Love
Reactions: just_a_data_gu
It looks like new chip does impact the WLTP range per news articles from Europe/ Australia. In theory, getting an similar agreement page here in US may be the sure shot indicator that the production has fully moved to new MCU? Or maybe there will be no change per EPA standards. Will see.

It looks like new chip does impact the WLTP range per news articles from Europe/ Australia. In theory, getting an similar agreement page here in US may be the sure shot indicator that the production has fully moved to new MCU? Or maybe there will be no change per EPA standards. Will see.

There wasnt any change in the US (EPA) model Y range that I remember seeing, so I dont believe that is going to be any indicator at all, here in the US.

This is a big deal to the audiophiles among us. The middle speaker kills the delightful stereo effect of a small space. Give me an old processor but yank out that middle speaker. It's good for talk radio but limits true music performance. WooHoo!
I think these are great points and @CaptainKrunch had a good point if not very eloquently said. Insurance should be directly related (at a minimum) to what assets you need to protect, and also the risk you might be spending years and a lot of your money paying for an at fault accident if you don't have sufficient coverage.

I almost laughed when looking at insurance at a new company and the default liability coverage was only 100k. There is a McLaren 720S and Ferrari 458 that park on the street by our house. They are literally about 1 or 2 cars apart. Just drift slightly on the street and you could easily catch a G500, and Taycan along with the 720 and 458. A mil policy might just be enough depending on the amount of damage you did.

I remember a friend who was a little light on insurance 20 years ago and got into a pretty bad accident took almost the next 10 years to pay off the damage he caused over and above the minimal limits of insurance coverage.

I hate to overpay what is basically a commodity so I always make sure to stack everything in my favor even for getting a quote with a new company even if it means waiting a bit to position myself as best I can. It seems like almost all of them check your credit report and I try to make sure I wait at least 3 years if any recent blemishes on my or my partner's traffic report. In my personal experience if I am at least at 760-770 credit score (depending on bureau) I am going to get as good as they have to offer. I always look for all the discounts I am eligible for such as grad/undergrad school affiliations, educational levels, married, multi-car etc.

I was just shopping recently and insurance seems crazier than normal. I have cars insured in different states. If I can have 2 cars on the same state policy, I can insure them both for almost the same, nor not much more, than either on individually in either TX or FL. I also had a quote done before buying a house a few months ago. I went back to execute the quote and it had gone from $2700 to $4800 for the EXACT same coverage. Nothing has changed on our end. I asked the agent and he said we were about as well positioned as we could be but there were a lot of losses over the last year so the carrier was re-rating all the policies. This was with a difference carrier than we have in Florida but previously they were cheaper than if we were to use our current carrier in Texas. So I checked with that carrier and damned if they didn't go up a significant amount but were now cheaper than the new carrier. I checked if we renewed in Florida and it was the same as last year other than about a 5% discounts as we get some discounts based on time with that carrier. This validated that nothing changed on our end (credit/tickets/losses/etc.).

I greatly appreciated the insurance sidebar going on here. It looks like Costco Connect will definitely save me a lot of money over either Geico or Progressive at this point.

Now just have to wait impatient for the S and 3 to show up as the chaos monkey throws darts at the EDD calendar. I don't car about Ryzen or Atom but would like the dual pane rear windows. Not sure how truth there is regarding range loss because of the Ryzen chipset.
While a consumer should periodically shop around insurance rates, that is only half the equation. As important, if not more so, is a company’s reputation when it comes to dealing with claims as that is a critical time. After all, that is why you buy insurance in the first place. Sometimes the cheapest rate may not pan out with excellent customer service.

Holy heck, that's a long time. :( Are you able to contact an advisor to see if they can tell you more? If I am waiting 6 months for mine, I'd be desperate too....
Yeah, part of the reason why it's taking so long is that I waited until November to complete my financial tasks. My SA is really nice but doesn't give me much to chew on. Probably because I am just one of 200 people trying to get a car faster. Patience, patience!

No indicator for me (as I most likely have the Ryzen CPU). I have completed the pre-delivery tasks for an order to go through, and only have insurance/payment/acceptance left.

If I get an indicator pop up, I’ll be sure to note that here.

Reactions: KN0607

It comes from experience of yourself and others as well. My father was in a accident with a motorcycle......no fault of his own, but the insurance companies fought back and forth. Even had video of the accident from a local bank. In the end, my father had to get his own lawyer to force the hand of his insurance company to settle in some regard with the motorcycle drivers insurance so it didn't go further and result in them potentially coming after his assets............Needless to say we have a policy with Nationwide fully maxed with umbrella for our house, vehicles, and autos.........

No indicator for me (as I most likely have the Ryzen CPU). I have completed the pre-delivery tasks for an order to go through, and only have insurance/payment/acceptance left.

If I get an indicator pop up, I’ll be sure to note that here.
Once you have taken delivery and confirmed you have that chip, it would be helpful if you would consider posting that result in the following thread:

Note that should be "after" you take delivery and confirmed, because we are hoping that thread can be used for confirmation of people who took (past tense) delivery of model 3s with ryzen chips in them.

Reactions: brojas10
Dumb question - After putting the order, I got a text message with “reply this message and a Tesla agent will respond”; will it route to my sales agent or someone else (potentially with more info)?
I’m pretty sure it goes to a general queue for a bunch of different SAs to answer. You can text it to get more info, but the best luck I’ve had is calling a delivery center to talk to someone. Unless you get super lucky and have an awesome SA assigned to you (I did for my first order, not my second).

Reactions: Maple00