Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford and VW can clown around with ordering of what is, essentially, a side business to them. They have 30 models of ICE vehicles in production. By the time Ford and VW restart orders, they'll probably have a completely different BEV for sale. They're probably spending the "downtime" to redesign those offerings. Their business environment is dramatically different from Tesla's.

Remember that anyone who gets in line for a car today is locking a price in. I wouldn't expect prices to ever go down in this inflationary environment, so allowing orders today is a win for everyone. Tesla gets to know what its order stream looks like for the next 6 months and customers know that they'll eventually get the car they're after.

The wait may bother people, but there's nothing else to do. Tesla could shut off orders, but that wouldn't change the wait times for anyone who is already in line, and anyone who wants to get in line would be denied, while anyone who is considering buying farther down the line has no idea what will happen when Tesla opens the order stream again. I can only imagine the rush to get in line, plus the likely overload of the Tesla web site. It's just not a good idea.

All that said, Tesla could clearly improve their ordering and delivery process. For me, it has been the not knowing that is the worst of it. I think I'd have been far less stressed if I had simply not come to this forum because this is where the ugly stories are presented. My order has been going very smoothly - in hindsight. I didn't know what I was doing and Tesla doesn't really help me to understand the process, which is my biggest hit against them (and the reason I came here). Ultimately, they promised a March delivery for my early February order and it looks like they're going to do just that. Plus, my SA answered any questions that I had.

Your purchase price is locked in when you order and stays that price forever - assuming you don't change the features of the car such as color, wheels, interior, etc. Your trade-in valuation only lasts 30 days or so and if that expires then you'll have to get a new valuation.
I agree with you about the price locking for current orders. Price has jumped $4,000 since I ordered which is essentially giving me instant equity so I'm not mad there. My question is how long is the "price lock" gonna last. You see what rivian just tried to pull and I suspect that once Tesla hits a certain threshold they're gonna be forced to raise the prices on existing reservations as well. If the profit margin isn't there or if they're delivering at a loss definitely expect this to happen. Take the cybertruck, they've removed the prices from their site completely and I'll bet my last dollar it doesn't launch at $39k... it'll probably be over $70k.

I still think they should stop taking orders on the 3 temporarily. The Y is their best seller at the moment and with the prices creeping up on the 3 they may just scrap it all together. I mean at some point enough is enough. Would you pay $80k for a model 3? I sure wouldn't but it seems that's where we're headed. They are overwhelmed and are trying to introduce new models in the cybertruck and roadster. They can't even keep up with current demand and I read they have 3 million plus orders for the cybertruck alone...there's no way. I mean unless you're willing to be waiting 3 or 4 years for a vehicle. Maybe sometime in the future when they have multiple factories churning out vehicles but Fremont is the only one supplying the entire country. Texas is only making Y's...with the volume of orders they're taking they need a factory for each model lol

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: JRP3
Yea it's starting to get a little ridiculous. For a base rwd you're at $50k with any modifications to color etc...or over $60k with FSD. Over &70k for the performance. The model 3 is supposed to be their "affordable for the masses" vehicle. And please no one say they're doing it to control orders because they're overwhelmed. If they were smart they would just stop taking orders and catch up. Then once caught up just keep building them and get ahead then open ordering back up. There's plenty of places they can store them. Like at the huge Fremont factory, the over 2 million square foot giga texas or here's an idea, fully stock your service centers as well.

The one near me is huge and has room for a couple hundred cars easily. Just saying. There has to be a better way. This isn't White Castle where your food is made to order and even there I find myself waiting longer than if I had gone to McDonald's where the food is hot and ready to go. McDonald's is always packed and White Castle is usually a dead and it tastes better than McDonald's, at least to me. For all the cars they've sold I can't help but wonder how many they could have really sold if they didn't have insane wait times and prices that are, let's be honest with ourselves, too high for the average consumer... especially now. Let's be real here for a sec, you can get a similar performing car for a lot less and most likely better paint and build quality. A Civic type-r can be had for around $38k with a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds...that's faster than the base rwd model 3 and around the same size. The charger RT is around $40k as well. But because it's Elon and he has everyone hypnotized then it's acceptable...and don't get me wrong I love Tesla but they just need to get their ish together.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote, especially with the M3 no longer being a car “affordable for the masses”, but my journey to Tesla was a little different. Maybe there are others like me who found themselves searching for a good EV and happened on Tesla. The crazy markups ($5k to $10k) on the EV6 and all other EVs on the lots and the low to no availability of EVs got me searching online and eventually added to the Tesla queue. I am also considering other EVs and would purchase a 2022 ID4 if I can get it at MSRP… but it isn’t a s3xy vehicle… I like the upfront pricing of Teslas, the tech, the ability to order and configure online, the charging network, the looks… the quality issues are a bit alarming but I’ll check thoroughly before accepting. There are definitely pros and cons that have to be weighed…

GOT MY VIN!!!!!

OD: 2/2 - EDD March
EDD1: March 14 - March 31
EDD2: April 20 - May 18
EDD3: March 24 - March 31
EDD4: April 8 - May 10
EDD5: March 19 - March 25
VIN Assigned
EDD 3-5 were all changed within a week of each other
Super excited
My config is White/White 19" Sport Wheels, No FSD, located in PA.
Just scheduled delivery for March 22. This all happened faster than expected but the initial EDD was correct after all.

Reactions: mooseGG
I agree with a lot of what you wrote, especially with the M3 no longer being a car “affordable for the masses”, but my journey to Tesla was a little different. Maybe there are others like me who found themselves searching for a good EV and happened on Tesla. The crazy markups ($5k to $10k) on the EV6 and all other EVs on the lots and the low to no availability of EVs got me searching online and eventually added to the Tesla queue. I am also considering other EVs and would purchase a 2022 ID4 if I can get it at MSRP… but it isn’t a s3xy vehicle… I like the upfront pricing of Teslas, the tech, the ability to order and configure online, the charging network, the looks… the quality issues are a bit alarming but I’ll check thoroughly before accepting. There are definitely pros and cons that have to be weighed…
I agree, definitely pros and cons to weigh but I'm just stating facts here without being biased and everyone seems to be bashing me for it. Those that think Tesla can do no wrong and are willing to accept whatever they say. This will be my first Tesla but you only have one time to make a great impression and so far it's not looking so good. Speaking of the ID.4 I've ordered one and the dealer doesn't have a markup. Not sure where you're located but ask around. If it gets here before the Tesla (which it just might) I'm going with it. And as far as the tech I don't really see what the Tesla does that is so special. The full self driving is not realized yet and the videos I see on YouTube, it crashes into bollards, misjudges turns and everything. I wouldn't trust it. As far as everything else besides summon mode (which has its hiccups as well) other cars have been doing for free. My old Buick could park itself and it wasn't bundled in a $12k package. My current ice car can drive itself on the highway and switch lanes...has adaptive cruise...the whole 9. I'm sure I'll get downvoted but I don't care, just being real. The acceleration is nice but there are other vehicles with similar performance for less money. I'm not even sure if I'll like electric as I stated earlier, just trying it out to see what all the fuss is about. I drove from Ohio to Florida frequently and sometimes to New York from Ohio and am used to just stopping at the gas station for 5 minutes and being back on the road. Having to reroute to be able to hit superchargers and sitting for 30 or 40 minutes...idk... we'll see.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sheefo2k and JRP3
I agree, definitely pros and cons to weigh but I'm just stating facts here without being biased and everyone seems to be bashing me for it. Those that think Tesla can do no wrong and are willing to accept whatever they say. This will be my first Tesla but you only have one time to make a great impression and so far it's not looking so good. Speaking of the ID.4 I've ordered one and the dealer doesn't have a markup. Not sure where you're located but ask around. If it gets here before the Tesla (which it just might) I'm going with it. And as far as the tech I don't really see what the Tesla does that is so special. The full self driving is not realized yet and the videos I see on YouTube, it crashes into bollards, misjudges turns and everything. I wouldn't trust it. As far as everything else besides summon mode (which has its hiccups as well) other cars have been doing for free. My old Buick could park itself and it wasn't bundled in a $12k package. My current ice car can drive itself on the highway and switch lanes...has adaptive cruise...the whole 9. I'm sure I'll get downvoted but I don't care, just being real. The acceleration is nice but there are other vehicles with similar performance for less money. I'm not even sure if I'll like electric as I stated earlier, just trying it out to see what all the fuss is about. I drove from Ohio to Florida frequently and sometimes to New York from Ohio and am used to just stopping at the gas station for 5 minutes and being back on the road. Having to reroute to be able to hit superchargers and sitting for 30 or 40 minutes...idk... we'll see.
I'd like to know what new car out there could beat 0-60 in 4.2 secs that's less than the M3LR. One that's a close competitor is the Mercedez C43 AMG, but that's quite a bit more than the M3LR (starts at $60k) and does 0-60 in 4.5 secs. For that much I would just go with the performance model which competes with cars like the Audi R8 (which costs twice as much).

Reactions: DAMON FELKER
I'm happy to report that I took delivery today without incident! My wait time was only 36 days from order to delivery. I am still a bit stunned. It's hard to believe that the car in this photo is MINE and not some other LR MSM that I've passed on the street...

A few parts of the pickup experience that stuck out to me:

1.) I arrived right on time, but I ended up waiting 25-30 minutes while they got the vehicle ready.
2.) There was a small scratch on the right passenger door. The associates I worked with tried to remove them with some Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound, but one small scratch (1 inch, on the clear coat) still remains. I'm not displeased enough to pursue it any further.
3.) I used this checklist, partially at the dealer, and partially at home. I'm nearly all the way through it and everything is looking good! Tesla gives 1 day or 100 miles to report any defects.
4.) Driving the car home, it seemed like the close-object-warning sensors were still "calibrating." Anyone have any idea how long this takes?
5.) No significant panel gaps.

Wishing everyone here early and speedy deliveries!

PXL_20220315_153650817.jpg