Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Def get the lake effect snow off of Lake Michigan here in NW Indiana. Didn’t think about needing winter tires…. Hmmm

The only reason I’m kicking around going to the P is it looks like those are coming in faster and they have the matrix headlights.
Like I said in my first post I'm driving a 22 year old car so any headlights are an improvement. I was thinking the same thing as you originally about the delivery date but right now my EDD is July which is about a month before the EDD of performance so in my opinion that's nbd since these can change at a moments notice. Personally if the lights are your big selling point I'd maybe wait and see for an official response of some sort from tesla before committing almost 8k to a different car.

They have. Visually - on the order page.

These pictures were taken from Tesla's order pages today: a M3LR and MYLR side to side. All three variants of the M3 - and the MYP - have had the projector headlights for a while now, and the headlights look the same on the order page if either of those four cars is selected.

View attachment 799758

The MYLR on the right is the only vehicle Tesla offers in North America at the moment that is 'known' to still use the old reflector headlights, which look a lot different - even in the renderings on the Tesla order pages, as you can see here. Compare the MYLR to the MYP on the website, and you'll see that the MYP has headlights that look exactly like those in the picture of the M3LR on the left.

Everyone who has ordered a M3 recently should have a rendering of their specific car configuration on both the phone and web apps which clearly show the projector lights on the left instead of the reflector lights on the right (at least mine do).
Took me awhile to figure out the difference! Went through a couple of YouTube comparisons and now see what to look for in a car but don’t think I could say “oh yeah that’s 100% a matrix headlight” based on the website/app pics.

Unfortunately Teslas Order Agreement gives them plenty of latitude to change:
“Op􏰁ons, features or hardware released or changed a􏰂er you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

The whole situation is very strange mainly because it's a downgrade but in the same year. I know tesla doesn't do model years the same as other manufacturers but it's weird to think that they'll have q12022 with different lights then q2 2022. And what if they go back to matrix lights after a few months then it'll just be a giant headache when it comes to upgrades and valuation. Honestly I keep seeing a lot of posts of some guy who knows a guy that said this but very little picture or video proof to back it up. So tbh I'm a little skeptical of this whole situation

I'm sure there's all the fine print etc etc, but they must be aware of what people expect. I wish Tesla was just more honest with these things, like send me an email that says look we're out of matrix headlights, sorry, we can either get you the car with older headlights and refund you the difference or you can wait a bit longer.
There isn’t any difference to refund though. I hope I’ll get a car with matrix headlights but if not I can’t expect a refund anymore than I expect Tesla to increase the price for the Ryzen chip (versus Intel which was what was being delivered at the time I ordered).

Reactions: JB47394 and blr0304
The whole situation is very strange mainly because it's a downgrade but in the same year. I know tesla doesn't do model years the same as other manufacturers but it's weird to think that they'll have q12022 with different lights then q2 2022. And what if they go back to matrix lights after a few months then it'll just be a giant headache when it comes to upgrades and valuation. Honestly I keep seeing a lot of posts of some guy who knows a guy that said this but very little picture or video proof to back it up. So tbh I'm a little skeptical of this whole situation
They did a similar thing with the Intel and Ryzen chips in the MYs. For a bit of time earlier this year they were shipping MYs with the older Intel chips again, and I think they have switching back to the Ryzen eventually. So there is hope that the matrix lights may come back again to the M3LR.

There isn’t any difference to refund though. I hope I’ll get a car with matrix headlights but if not I can’t expect a refund anymore than I expect Tesla to increase the price for the Ryzen chip (versus Intel which was what was being delivered at the time I ordered).
I'm sure it costs them differently to procure them, but tbh I'm just a bit disappointed by the lack of communication and the take it or leave it attitude.

1651557866101.png

1651557922474.png

I did not say worst investment ever, just that the value is worst today than it was 30 days ago. To your point it’s still flipable or rentable but not as good a value. That’s disappointing. 76 days and counting is a bummer. The take it or leave it attitude is not how I typically buy things.
BC74458A-9F3F-4525-BCD4-98AFD6512CFA.jpeg

At these valuations you could flip this one and place another order and make about $8k...not sure when you ordered or what price you are locked in at.

I have the same EDD and am out of town in about 3 weeks so a bit more of a gap than you, but not by much. I've been giving some thoughts on this myself particularly if my EDD window were to shift up slightly. This is just my personal opinion, but I'm not sure I'd do anything especially if you want the car this quarter.

Especially with a 28 day window, assuming it is at all accurate, the odds of you being out of town for all 3 days of a delivery window are fairly slim. If you get a two week window that was earlier the equation in my mind might change. If you put a hold on it and lift it when you get back, even if you hold your spot in line, I wouldn't be surprised to see you pushed back to August or September. If that isn't an issue, go ahead and place the hold.
I like your idea of waiting to see if I get a two-week EDD window before putting a hold. Odds are that my delivery will not be pushed forward to May and the outcome of a hold process is hard to predict.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
VIN RECEIVED!
For all those who are skeptical of your car being able to arrive early, or those who think premium paint doesn't make a difference.

My OD was 4/16, I now have a VIN 247*** and a 5 day window. -Akron OH

FYI - I also kept the payment method as cash until today after I got my VIN now I will switch it to 3rd party financing. (if that makes a difference)

VIN RECEIVED!
For all those who are skeptical of your car being able to arrive early, or those who think premium paint doesn't make a difference.

My OD was 4/16, I now have a VIN 247*** and a 5 day window. -Akron OH

FYI - I also kept the payment method as cash until today after I got my VIN now I will switch it to 3rd party financing. (if that makes a difference)
Ayyyyyyyy Akron in the house. My hometown! I live in Columbus now. We need to link up man...also if you need an excellent tint guy let me know. Quality work and guaranteed to be MUCH cheaper than the big shops! Congrats!!!

Reactions: ForestGump
Unfortunately Teslas Order Agreement gives them plenty of latitude to change:
“Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”
Emphasis mine. That caveat in the order agreement is Tesla clamping down on people who want to place their orders on hold because they've heard of some amazing future upgrade in the rumor mill.

It seems not applicable in this scenario - the retrograde installation of superseded parts to manage a temporary supply chain constraint (probably) - which instead may be covered by a statement reading something like "features or hardware when you placed your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle."