Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The delivery delay saga continues. Everything still came together much earlier than expected, so my issue is more about the difficulty of getting clear updates than it is the delays themselves. My initial EDD of 5/8-14, as shared on 5/4 when I got my VIN, is now 5/16-20. It basically just goes back one day each morning. But from the last rep I spoke to, that may be pushed back even further.

Although several employees blamed it on the "car being stuck at a distribution center," another finally admitted that the charging port issue is the factor here. And since the service center apparently doesn't have the part in stock, there's little chance of it being resolved this week (best case scenario is apparently that the part arrives late this week, which would ETA the car for next week). So why not just update the EDD with realistic info?
My delivery gets pushed back one day every morning. I'm told it's the charge port and the estimated date to complete that is 5/23, even though this morning my EDD says 5/16-5/20.

My delivery gets pushed back one day every morning. I'm told it's the charge port and the estimated date to complete that is 5/23, even though this morning my EDD says 5/16-5/20.
Definitely the same situation I'm in. What frustrates me, beyond the lack of consistency in information being shared, is that decisions and processes are tied to the original delivery date.

For example: you're asked to confirm insurance when you get your VIN. Which means if you wait 3-4 more weeks than expected, and don't own a car already, you're basically paying a month's premium for no reason.

I hate to bring it up, but @critchamc ordered the same configuration for Reno, Nevada on March 12 and he just got the car delivered. It's not a refused car because it's a 253xxx VIN. The difference is that he's within trucking distance while you're not. Somehow they need to build your configuration and get it on a train.

Unrelated... Anyone who is surprised that their EDD is later than somebody else who ordered at the same time, remember that if you didn't order any upgrades, you have to wait longer. So if you order white/black/aero and somebody else orders blue/black/aero, they're going to have an earlier EDD than you. Same if they order white/black/19". The difference used to be a couple weeks, then a month. It may be even longer now. However long the overall queue is, the base configurations get lowest priority.
Bro, do you even geography?
Phoenix deliveries are by truck. We are within driving distance. We are considered "west coast".
I also believe that "upgrades" really don't matter much anymore as far as delivery times. The only "upgrade" I don't have is the wheels, and I'm still behind people with less upgrades and in the same delivery area.

GRADUATIION DAY !!! (YAAAAAAYYYYYY)

First of all.... THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU ! to the awesome and lovely people around on this forum and wealth of info shared.

Secondly, as everyone who graduates says (literally) and I now know it and stand by that..... "WORTH THE WAIT !!!" :)

So the delivery details:
  • Overall delivery was good & smooth 👍
  • There was no time cruch or restriction as such, at least in this location they give the time you need to look around and validate
  • Today Mt.Kisco was packed with cars (mostly 3s & Ys)
  • Car details:
    • VIN = 246XXX
    • Matrix Headlights = ✅
    • Charging cable included = ✅
    • Tires = Michelin ✅
    • Panel gaps = None ✅ (at least to my eyes I was not able ot catch anything and did 3 or 4 rounds) (used TesBros checklist)
    • Any other issues = None ✅
Noticed a few performance model and those wheels on them are so cooooool, but on my way back where there were few road construction works and bad roads I instantly felt good for the 18" Aeros on my car 😄

Wishing all the good luck on quick and quality cars for everyone waiting !!!

View attachment 804388
Beautiful car! Sometimes I wish I had a Red, then I see a Blue and I want that, then MSM and I want that. These cars are just amazing! Looking forward to getting mine a few months.

Did I call it? Oh yes I did and I even looked at source code last night to verify if it was hiding but guess what I woke up to this morning, “You wonderful old building and loan”!!! Vin 257 and a delivery window of 18-22!

T-J- tell us you also have some good news!

Did I call it? Oh yes I did and I even looked at source code last night to verify if it was hiding but guess what I woke up to this morning, “You wonderful old building and loan”!!! Vin 257 and a delivery window of 18-22!

T-J- tell us you also have some good news!
As an AZ brother... I strongly support this!

Bro, do you even geography?
Phoenix deliveries are by truck. We are within driving distance. We are considered "west coast".
I also believe that "upgrades" really don't matter much anymore as far as delivery times. The only "upgrade" I don't have is the wheels, and I'm still behind people with less upgrades and in the same delivery area.
I checked the distances, and figured that Phoenix would qualify for rail transport. But now I see that somebody on the web mentioned that their Massachusetts car would be sent by rail to Chicago and then by truck to Massachusetts. Even if we assume Worcester, that's over 14 hours, which is a rather longer trip than Fremont to Phoenix. (For the curious, Fremont to Chicago is a 31 hour road trip.)

A thread from the Model Y section commenting on how vehicles are shipped by rail to the east. My key takeaway was that the eastern rail hubs are Chicago , Illinois and Birmingham, Alabama.

How Tesla ships by rail to East coast

Upgrades absolutely matter, but it may be as simple as base configuration versus having any upgrades at all. Base vehicles clearly take longer, and are advertised as such.

There are certainly other factors that play a role. The matching configuration that got shipped to Reno surprised me because that kinda killed the idea that Tesla likes to build vehicles in batches of the same configuration. I was chalking up your delay to the fact that your configuration is pretty unusual. If he got his, you should certainly have gotten yours. I really want to storm into Fremont and demand some answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Junior86