Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also really think tesla should maybe discontinue the model 3 rwd just have 2 models. They also might need to maybe combine x and y. I know the whole S3XY thing haha but I personally think tesla has to many models/makes at this time and they are now trying to make cybertruck and semi's :/
At least they delayed the production of the cybertruck and halted their plan to develop a sub-35k model. They tried to bring EVs to the mass market, but they have since learned that there is enough demand at the 50k range to make them a crapload amount of money and crush all competition.

I'm not advocating a change to the way that the dates are chosen, but the way that they are presented. The way they're doing it is frustrating a lot of people.
I agree. Giving an EDD that is a moving target is too frustrating for many customers. If you can’t give a firm date, use TBD. Let people know up front Tesla doesn’t know when the part will arrive. Tesla is riding a high right now as they don’t have comparable competition (in production numbers). But when the other companies ramp up, people will remember the angst and frustration endured at Tesla’s hands and will not be repeat buyers. It’s an everyday occurrence where people will not shop at a business where they had a negative experience. Tesla is doing this by the tens of thousands. The excuse Tesla is new to this and experiencing growing pains only takes you so far. Two years from now, people will look at a Mustang Mach E, BMW i4, KIA EV6, or Hyundai IONIQ5 with more acceptance. Where will Tesla sales be then?

At least they delayed the production of the cybertruck and halted their plan to develop a sub-35k model. They tried to bring EVs to the mass market, but they have since learned that there is enough demand at the 50k range to make them a crapload amount of money and crush all competition.
If they just built a factory that only cranked out model 3's I think that'd be a game changer lol

I agree. Giving an EDD that is a moving target is too frustrating for many customers. If you can’t give a firm date, use TBD. Let people know up front Tesla doesn’t know when the part will arrive. Tesla is riding a high right now as they don’t have comparable competition (in production numbers). But when the other companies ramp up, people will remember the angst and frustration endured at Tesla’s hands and will not be repeat buyers. It’s an everyday occurrence where people will not shop at a business where they had a negative experience. Tesla is doing this by the tens of thousands. The excuse Tesla is new to this and experiencing growing pains only takes you so far. Two years from now, people will look at a Mustang Mach E, BMW i4, KIA EV6, or Hyundai IONIQ5 with more acceptance. Where will Tesla sales be then?
I agree. Only thing I'll say I test drive a i4 with a friend the other day. Nice car but felt way less polished then a tesla. The minimalistic of tesla has grown on me and the bmw just felt outdated and clunky. Less features no side cameras No frunk. And edd of 7-8 months. Car was also almost 20k more then the m3 performance with similar stats. So while I agree with you I do feel that at least bmw is way more then 2 years behind tesla

Reactions: jpaychek
Sorry I didn't track my dates very closely until I found this thread.

M3LR, MSM, Black, Aero, No FSD

VIN - 243xxx

OD: 2/13 original EDD at time of order was April 2022
EDD 1 - was something like 5/6-6/6
EDD 2 - was something like 5/13-6/13
EDD 3 - was very briefly 6/1-6/30 - I almost threw up lol
EDD 4 - 5/13-5/27
EDD 5 - 5/17-5/20

Received the text on the 16th to schedule delivery and got all excited only to realize that the dates were 5/24 - 527 so it got pushed back a week.

Delivery currently scheduled for 5/24 in Raleigh, NC

Texted SA today to verify I'm still scheduled for 5/24 and asked if they could verify the car wasn't waiting on any parts. I'm worried about this because of the last second push back of a week. They replied with a generic response that someone on the delivery team would reach out if there is a delay but the current date is still 5/24.

We live about 45 mins away from the SC but we might take a trip to Raleigh to do some shopping Saturday. If we do that we are definitely going to scope things out and see if we can find the car on the lot.
Just to update this from a couple of hours ago. I texted SA again to see if they could tell if the car was at the SC yet, and they replied that the vehicle still has not arrived at the SC. Hopefully that means parts aren't an issue since it seems most of the vehicles missing things like the charge ports are already sitting on Tesla lots.

Regarding the EDD discussion. I was looking at the estimated delivery time frame for my Amazon order and when I clicked a few minutes later, the time frame had pushed out 15 minutes on both early and late time estimates. Kinda like the Tesla EDD. Much more accurate since it uses a much smaller time scale, but eerily similar. Sometimes, when there is a delay, I get an apologetic message and a pushed-out date again.
Similar estimates with UPS, Fedex, USPS. Granted, they deliver packages, but each package is a different size, shape and weight. And they generally have better control and visibility over their process. Well, USPS may be an exception 😲

I guess the heart of my frustration, perhaps some overly idealistic or dramatic points aside, comes down to the fact that I'm challenging the bold notion. My EDD has not been visibly adjusted based on any new data (or new uncertainty) about the charge port. It is simply on an automated Today+4 system that updates every morning exactly at 10AM ET.

"Estimated" doesn't mean "Guaranteed," but it also shouldn't mean "Random."
Put yourself in Tesla's shoes for a sec. They've tried to create an automated way to provide estimated delivery dates for literally thousands of cars based on probably thousands of materials and components that come from all around the world. It's pretty complex and I have no idea how they manage to do it.

If you're impacted by the ECU situation -- I'd guess that's a pretty narrow scenario that the whole automated EDD calculator doesn't handle too well. My guess is that the whole process isn't really setup to handle if you're missing a single part. All it knows is that the car is built and you haven't taken delivery. In that case all it can really do is move the date out. If I were in charge of that dev team (I work in tech) I wouldn't waste cycles updating the app to handle this potentially unique situation that may never happen again. It sucks if you're someone that is impacted by it -- just trying to provide a different perspective.

Regarding the EDD discussion. I was looking at the estimated delivery time frame for my Amazon order and when I clicked a few minutes later, the time frame had pushed out 15 minutes on both early and late time estimates. Kinda like the Tesla EDD. Much more accurate since it uses a much smaller time scale, but eerily similar. Sometimes, when there is a delay, I get an apologetic message and a pushed-out date again.
Similar estimates with UPS, Fedex, USPS. Granted, they deliver packages, but each package is a different size, shape and weight. And they generally have better control and visibility over their process. Well, USPS may be an exception 😲
They all work in batches. Overall most efficient way to deliver x from a to b

I think this is purely an issue of battery supply. They just don't have the batteries to support more lines. Otherwise, they'd be cranking out Cybertrucks and making a fortune off each one.

Tesla is riding a high right now as they don’t have comparable competition (in production numbers). But when the other companies ramp up, people will remember the angst and frustration endured at Tesla’s hands and will not be repeat buyers
I've cautioned this very thing, but I think what will happen is that Tesla will do things better than the legacy automakers regardless of the situation.

So, yes, Tesla is frustrating right now, but they're also the one making cars in volume. When things are better and the legacy automakers are doing their Thing, Tesla will have sorted out the glitches in their systems and will be doing a Better Thing. Yes, we'll still have those distant and unpleasant memories (believe me, they'll fade quickly for most buyers), but we'll wear them like badges of honor, deriding the newbies with their accurate dates and little chocolates in the shape of the Tesla logo when they take delivery.

But I'll never forgive Ford for ignoring me after blowing a head gasket a week after the warranty expired. NEVER!

(Unless they're the only ones making a small electric pickup)

Watching the EDD can be frustrating as it goes up and down. Tesla can definitely work to improve the system and have better communication with both the service centers and customers, especially about things like waiting for a part on a car that’s been sitting at the lot for weeks.

On the flip side people ordering need to understand the EDD is purely an estimate and nothing is set in stone until you have the car in front of you on delivery day. That means things like paying the down payment/final payment, paying for insurance, and especially selling your only car, etc should not be done until the last possible moment after you have hands on the car.

The thing that really confuses me about EDDs is why some people get multiple updates and some are steady. Me and another buyer ordered The same exact car for delivery to the same place but ordered 3 days apart. My EDD was pretty much spot-on from the beginning and just got the standard update to 14-ay and finally 4 day windows. Whereas he got multiple updates going back and forth, sometimes by weeks. That is really strange.

But I guess it’s just us nuts here that check so often to even see Every. Single. Update.
Had a similar situation too. My neighbor ordered a M3 with the same config as me a few days after I placed my order and we're picking up from the same location. Around 4/20 is when he got his EDD yo-yo while mine stayed steady. I've seen a lot of people with EDD's that seem to have ADHD. I think it's good sign for some when the window shortens progressively, but stays roughly in the same time frame.

Although now that I think about it, didn't the definition of insanity used to be doing the exact same thing over and over expecting a different result?

Are they getting rid of dealerships or something? If not, that will be a pain point that many people will not want to endure.

Had a similar situation too. My neighbor ordered a M3 with the same config as me a few days after I placed my order and we're picking up from the same location. Around 4/20 is when he got his EDD yo-yo while mine stayed steady. I've seen a lot of people with EDD's that seem to have ADHD. I think it's good sign for some when the window shortens progressively, but stays roughly in the same time frame.

Although now that I think about it, didn't the definition of insanity used to be doing the exact same thing over and over expecting a different result?
He ordered on a different day. Could have been a different production batch, delivery schedule, part shortage, labor shortage, or a hundred other things we haven’t thought about.

Received my delivery day instructions. Is it boiler-plate to have ‘do not arrive before your appointment time’?

I’m driving 2 hours and there are some areas of construction that are extremely hard to predict even with apps and such. I guess arriving early will mean I’m finding the nearest McDs to wait.

Reactions: Mwhusa and jpaychek