Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for anyone thats recently taken delivery. Do they automatically put the front license plate holder on now? Just drove through the Tyco rd location in VA and the new cars all had them. Was really hoping mine doesnt come with the front bracket
you can tell them over the phone when you schedule the delivery. Or just call a few days ahead. Not a big deal.
In my case I had to ask them explicitly at the spot to install it for me.

I've seen many say there really is no correlation between the trade in text and getting your vin soon, however I'll also add that I got my trade-in text on Saturday and got my vin on Tuesday.
I believe recently, Tesla wants to accurate the EDD that should be ready for pre-delivery tasks before assigning VIN. It will result in a more narrow EDD window that can expect a delivery schedule in their plan. But a changed circumstance always has occurred with lots of reasons.

Question for anyone thats recently taken delivery. Do they automatically put the front license plate holder on now? Just drove through the Tyco rd location in VA and the new cars all had them. Was really hoping mine doesnt come with the front bracket
I took delivery at Tyson's at the end of March and they left mine in the trunk. The state may have requested that Tesla install them because Virginia does require front and rear plates. I'm driving around with only my rear plate on and apparently the police won't pull you over for just that. However, if they pull you over for something else, they'll cite you for the missing front plate.

Hoping my EDD will move up since my OD date 02/05. I honestly didn't want to get the older headlights when I'm actually paying more in extra for the 2022 model. build dates after 4/30 should all have matrix headlights tho
Hopefully what my SA said is accurate all over, order date takes priority. I want to say I have seen others refuse, get a long EDD, then within days get a new VIN.

Good luck! (and let us know how it goes)

Reactions: TSLone and jpaychek
Got assigned a vin just now- older # - 2364XX. I texted the SA number and they said they “reviewed this vehicle and believe it has the matrix headlights”. I asked two follow up questions, asking what the build date was and why the older vin number, whether it was rejected or affected by the charge port. Response back was that ‘the build month was 4/2022 but don't have visibility to anything beyond that.’. So most likely either a charge port affected car, which would be no big deal if fixed, or a rejected car, which if that is the case would be a bummer.
Edited to add- confirmed Michelin tires as well. Didnt care as much about that but nice to have . . .
Before you roast me, yes i realize that I am responding to myself ;-) I am doing it just to keep the reference there for those that are tracking people as they work through the process . . . ;-)

This am woke up to my 3 day delivery window being bumped by the dreaded one day bump. At first i was worried I had entered the ‘charge port missing’ hell, but figured i would give it a couple of days. Then an hour later, i got THE TEXT - -‘Congrats, its your turn to schedule delivery!” Jumped onto the app, and had only two days as options, either Monday or Tuesday. A little rough, as i have to drive in from out of town, deal with PDX traffic, and take some time off work, but is what it is. So scheduled for 2pm Tuesday. Reviewed the rest of the app, and everything else was saying it was complete.

Much to my surprise, about an hour later, got a call from an unknown PDX number. Normally dont answer unknown numbers, but decided to take the risk. Turned out, it was the PDX Tesla dealership, and the guy was letting me know that the car had completed inspection, was ready for pickup. He then confirmed that I had completed all my tasks on the app, and then asked if I wanted to pick it up sooner???? Ummm whatt?? I asked if they were open on the weekends and he said of course, and scheduled me for TOMORROW at noon!!! WhoAH!

I went from the long wait/slog, to BAM car coming tomorrow. Still have to make it through my inspection, which I am doing PRIOR to finalizing the loan, but he said that was fine, I just needed to bring my ”Dealer Funding Request” form for the loan (Which i have all ready to go through USAA military bank), and he confirmed they work with USAA all the time and should be very simple process once i had checked out the car.

So will update you tomorrow- heres to hoping that the inspection goes smoothly and car/process will be complete with a new Tesla! We actually are in the position where although we are very excited to get the car, we can stand to wait If needed if there is a major problem, so trying to balance being crazy excited with realistic expectations as to the potential for issues, since we are picking up a slightly older vin/older build date car. Anyways woot!

I don’t think I recall seeing any of these actually happening. I saw a couple get requested and cancelled. Have a link?
Here's the discussion on this site. It gets interesting around page 9 or so.

New headlights retrofit

The gist of what I've read is that the lights can physically plug in, but there is no means of telling the car's software to drive them. The car was created with the old lights and that's what it's going to drive. There is a mechanism to tell the car about configuration changes such as changed hardware, but apparently it is Tesla's policy to not allow people to upgrade vehicles to the new headlamps. One guy claims he was able to fool the techs into doing it anyway.

I found out this morning that our Tesla had the premium headlights and not the matrix headlights. I called Tesla to tell them we were going to decline delivery of the car and he said that was okay but I would be put at the end of the line again and it would be Aug - Nov before I saw a car. So sad. I asked if they would return my cash and he said they would. Now I kinda wished I hadn't sold my car on Monday. Hope someone here who is okay with the premium lights gets the VIN soon!

OD 2/27 | MSMLR | Black | 18" wheel | No FSD |

I'm ok with either headlight. There weren't complaints about headlights prior to the switch anyway. I care more about Michelin vs Hankook tires, preferring Michelin. The Kinergy GT have lousy reviews.

✅ VIN Received.
✅ Insurance card uploaded
✅ Financing arranged
✅ Cashier check purchased
Now I’m waiting for a scheduled pickup date. SA told me there are no holds or notes on the order but only the SC can tell for sure.🤞 Once the vehicle arrives at the SC, I can call them for the latest info. My VIN is 266xxx so I’m not expecting any issues.
It’s been real and it’s been fun but it hasn’t been real fun 🤩

I'm ok with either headlight. There weren't complaints about headlights prior to the switch anyway. I care more about Michelin vs Hankook tires, preferring Michelin. The Kinergy GT have lousy reviews.
My understanding is the headlights issue is not so much about current performance as a lighting instrument, but rather, the future-proof element. If Tesla does issue future updates that are geared toward the matrix lights, or if matrix lights can help with FSD efficacy, then there would be value in having the new ones.

I need a car so probably wouldn't have *canceled* if I got the old lights, but I would have thrown quite a fit if they didn't agree to retrofit since the service center person implied it wouldn't be a problem. I ended up being explicitly told I have the Matrix lights, which is great. But if I find out that I don't have them ... AFTER getting unapologetically jerked around about this charge port situation ... let's just say I'll be throwing that fit.