Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone else who has put a hold on their account after/near receiving a VIN, how long after the hold was lifted did stuff start to happen? I will be on vacation the last week in June and want to make sure nothing happens until after July 1st, but also understand it won't likely be quick. My SA said they had MANY people put their accounts on hold right now due to the Illinois rebate requiring purchase date be after July 1 ($4k incentive) and there could be a decent backlog.
It would have been nice if your state would have made that rebate retroactive, at least for 2022 purchases. I don't see anything happening this year in South Carolina (we have no incentives) but in the limited discussion the politicians have had there has been mention of it covering at least the previous year of purchases.

It would have been nice if your state would have made that rebate retroactive, at least for 2022 purchases. I don't see anything happening this year in South Carolina (we have no incentives) but in the limited discussion the politicians have had there has been mention of it covering at least the previous year of purchases.
I totally agree, I'm sure this just caused headaches for a lot of the dealers/Tesla sites across the state. I even emailed our states EPA office and asked for clarification. You have 90 days to submit the forms after purchase, so I was hoping I could do that with a June date. But they made it very clear in the response that the purchase must be on July 1 or later...

As new members join the discussion, it will be very helpful if you guys can share your order date and EDD progression in your signature, even if you have taken delivery, so that we can follow along and develop a better estimate of our future EDD and delivery dates. Thank you in advance!
Of course you have to post some before you can edit that signature…. but I finally earned that update (and “like” privlieges)

A scatter plot isn't ideal to examine this, but here's one anyway. It looks to me like base models are delayed on average no more than 10-14 days, and that that's only on average. Any given base model order could easily be assigned a VIN faster than a given non-base model order. The longest delays for VINs are for base models, and they can be pretty long. There's that one guy who claimed he had to wait 170 days or so for his base model VIN.

View attachment 813634

We've heard this argument before, and I think it's completely off base. Tesla isn't scamming, pressuring or manipulating anyone. If you want a lower-spec car, order it. You'll get it. If you want a higher-spec car, order it. You'll get it. According to the scatterplot here, the person ordering the lower-spec car may well get their car before the person ordering the higher-spec car.

Edit: Horizontal axis is the day of order, and the vertical axis is the days spent waiting for a VIN
I think your right. While we’re talking Model 3’s, how do you explain the long wait times for Model Y’s and even more to the point, extreme wait times for Model S and Model X. Much higher profit margin so their theory would have Tesla pumping these cars out all the time.

While this is sort of minor I figured some of you may want this info but after confirming with the Tesla 800 number that I could go to the dealership to get a plastic sleeve for the temp tag and a 2 hour round trip I was told they don’t offer them, never have.

The reason I wanted this is bc we’re leaving on a long road trip in a couple of days and I dont want to get pulled over due to cops having a hard time seeing the temp tag in my tinted rear view window.

• Informative
Reactions: jpaychek
One of my assumptions as to why the P's demand is shorter and thus sees more progression is because it doesn't share the wheels that SR/LR has. Überturbine is exclusive to the Performance. So, less demand for that. That's just my perspective, feel free to throw in other beliefs.
Also motors, I believe the SR and LR share the same motor, the P is an upgraded version… compounded by sky rocket demand for the SR (Hertz) and the LR (popular for range anxiety) it’s got to make for a challenging supply chain and operations..

For anyone else who has put a hold on their account after/near receiving a VIN, how long after the hold was lifted did stuff start to happen? I will be on vacation the last week in June and want to make sure nothing happens until after July 1st, but also understand it won't likely be quick. My SA said they had MANY people put their accounts on hold right now due to the Illinois rebate requiring purchase date be after July 1 ($4k incentive) and there could be a decent backlog.
I personally wouldn't be expecting anything until August or potentially September. Your original OD is going to allow you to jump ahead of more recent orders as evidenced by the SR people upgrading to LR (or LR to P) at the end of this quarter. But the typically observed pattern is not a lot of activity delivery wise in the first month of the quarter and then things start to pick up particuarly on the East Coast mid month 2 (August) and work their way back West.

While this is sort of minor I figured some of you may want this info but after confirming with the Tesla 800 number that I could go to the dealership to get a plastic sleeve for the temp tag and a 2 hour round trip I was told they don’t offer them, never have.

The reason I wanted this is bc we’re leaving on a long road trip in a couple of days and I dont want to get pulled over due to cops having a hard time seeing the temp tag in my tinted rear view window.
Amazon

Reactions: Mwhusa and jpaychek
As I was placing my order on 3/14, the estimated timeframe for an order was May. As soon as I submitted my order, my first EDD ended up being 8/19-10/14. A few weeks ago, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. EDD was end of May to end of June. I knew that was good since it would be about 3 months from OD. Then it slipped to July-Oct. This morning, Sept-Dec, which is the same as an order placed today. Seems pretty drastic. I'm not trading in a car, so I know it doesn't have anything to do with an offer needing renewed, which I've seen can be the problem in some cases. Hoping that once the ECU issue gets under control, it starts moving up. From thinking it would be May as I placed my order to hoping it will be here by the end of the year is a little frustrating.
There is something odd going on with Iowa deliveries. Your order date was 1 day before mine, we are basically geographically the same, and I'm expecting to pick up my car within the next two weeks in Kansas City. @Jtownhawk also had odd dates for an Iowa pickup, but was able to get his pickup changed to Kansas City and got a two week window fairly soon after. Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

I personally wouldn't be expecting anything until August or potentially September. Your original OD is going to allow you to jump ahead of more recent orders as evidenced by the SR people upgrading to LR (or LR to P) at the end of this quarter. But the typically observed pattern is not a lot of activity delivery wise in the first month of the quarter and then things start to pick up particuarly on the East Coast mid month 2 (August) and work their way back West.
August is kind of what I am expecting, knowing that September is a real possibility as well. I guess I was just looking for some confirmation in my thought process.

How do you…. feel knowing you are finally picking it up soon?
Extremely excited. I don't like waiting for things. I don't like waiting 1 day for Amazon to deliver.
I also feel for everyone that is still waiting for their cars and trying to understand their EDD's. It's a painful, unforgiving process, and that's why I'm here to give people realistic expectations (since Tesla doesn't warn you), as well as make them laugh a little.

Extremely excited. I don't like waiting for things. I don't like waiting 1 day for Amazon to deliver.
I also feel for everyone that is still waiting for their cars and trying to understand their EDD's. It's a painful, unforgiving process, and that's why I'm here to give people realistic expectations (since Tesla doesn't warn you), as well as make them laugh a little.
I had a 10 day window yesterday June 6-june16 today moved back a bit to June 14-June28. Any idea of when a vin may appear? I was kinda excepting it this morning, But nope