Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDD tightened from 7/8-7/22 to 7/9-7/16. No option to schedule delivery yet. Local SC still looks bare with no new cars on the lot.

Just saw the latest flyover video of Fremont factory from 7/6 and it looked like a ghost town.

I’m guessing production hasn’t resumed yet but the system has just allocated parts and assigned VINs for the first batch of cars to be made in preparation for when factory is running again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Watched the video and yeah it does seem to confirm what I was hearing that they are in a maintenance hold. This also explains why EDDs for all model 3s aren't budging. Makes be feel better about my EDD too. Couple of more weeks everyone and things will get fun around here.

I see a few black cars so hurry up and ship it to me! ;)

Last edited:
This makes sense as tesla is likely restocking pressed parts and in a few weeks will reopen the lines
The word "gigapress" never hit me until just now. They're not presses, but die casting machines. Maybe it's because the pieces that it casts have always been made from pressed parts. Sorry for the musing. It just strikes me as weird. It's a gigacaster.

But I agree that they're probably using the time to get ahead on gigacastings.

Wait. They're called gigacastings, but they're made in a gigapress. Words, people. Words.
i see these things go on for 100$ on amazon or ebay.
Death to all scalpers.

How did y’all get the sales tax showing on the Tesla order? I’m in Texas and I don’t see this anywhere with Tesla.
Tesla isn’t allowed to sell in Texas so they can’t collect tax or register for you. I believe they’ll give you the paper work and you have to register and pay tax on your own separately.

And, depending on where you live, you'll be increasing the sticker price of the car, which will increase your annual property taxes - if they apply. Also, if you put the software purchase on your credit card, you'll get rewards for the purchase.

Right - I was actually looking at the removing part as opposed to the adding part. still want the same car - I’m just thinking about adding it after I pick it up. But at what point do I remove it? will it affect my EDD?

Reactions: JB47394
Right - I was actually looking at the removing part as opposed to the adding part. still want the same car - I’m just thinking about adding it after I pick it up. But at what point do I remove it? will it affect my EDD?
I think you have to do it before your VIN is assigned cause at that point the car is made. Idk tbh when they actually add FSD to the car, if it's at Fremont or the dealer ship or w.e. I'd assume that once the VIN is assigned though you are locked in. You will also get the final bill at that point so again you will probably be locked in to your commitment. As far as EDD there was a loop hole a few months ago where people would add FSD to get their EDD pushed up then cancel once they got close to delvery. Tesla has since closed it by pushing back EDD that cancel FSD during pre-order. Again idk if that still applies.

Sorry for the ramble tl:dr if your gonna change your order do it asap to minimize any delay

How did y’all get the sales tax showing on the Tesla order? I’m in Texas and I don’t see this anywhere with Tesla.
You can try this calculator to get a rough estimate. I did it for my state when I bought and it was pretty close to what tesla calculated

The opposite in fact. If I'm not mistaken the Y and X have the same initial build as well

Unfortunately, designnews.com got their wires crossed. The Model Y is getting gigacastings. The Model 3 is still using the welded assembly of stamped parts in all factories. My understanding is that the very first Model Ys with gigacastings have come from Texas. Fremont was gearing up for gigacasting, but one of the machines caught fire. I'm not sure what happened there. Berlin and Shanghai are also supposed to go to gigacastings for the Model Y.

Giga Press - Wikipedia

Reactions: ZZ118
Unfortunately, designnews.com got their wires crossed. The Model Y is getting gigacastings. The Model 3 is still using the welded assembly of stamped parts in all factories. My understanding is that the very first Model Ys with gigacastings have come from Texas. Fremont was gearing up for gigacasting, but one of the machines caught fire. I'm not sure what happened there. Berlin and Shanghai are also supposed to go to gigacastings for the Model Y.

Giga Press - Wikipedia
Good to know. So essentially they'll eventually be able to run the press and out comes a fully formed model Y skeleton... amazing!

For those who went with Carolina Coop FCU for financing, how long did it take to get your account set up to be able to even apply for a loan? Seems like they want to do everything over snail mail. My local CU will rate match but I need proof of the rate first from Carolina Coop and my M3LR is supposed to deliver next week.

Good to know. So essentially they'll eventually be able to run the press and out comes a fully formed model Y skeleton... amazing!
I do wonder if they'll try to go farther with the casting stuff. Getting the molten aluminum around the interior of the casting must be a really interesting fluid dynamics problem. The rear casting was first, and it replaces an assembly of 70 welded parts.

The current machines provide 6,000 tons of clamping force, which is enough for the Model Y front and rear castings. Tesla has stated that an 8,000 ton machine would be needed for the Cybertruck. IDRA, the company that makes the machines, is delivering a 9,000 ton machine to Tesla right about now. I assume that's going to Texas and will be used for the Cybertruck eventually.

It seems that this is the new thing in the auto industry and a number of companies are going this route.

Watched the video and yeah it does seem to confirm what I was hearing that they are in a maintenance hold. This also explains why EDDs for all model 3s aren't budging. Makes be feel better about my EDD too. Couple of more weeks everyone and things will get fun around here.

I see a few black cars so hurry up and ship it to me! ;)
On my way to SD this weekend I saw two truckloads of black M3’s. So they’re probably shipping left over EOQ deliveries.