Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I doing something wrong geico wants 615$/ month to insure the car
I was going to say maybe your driving is what is wrong but you said no tickets or accidents. Bundling home/renters insurance with your auto can give you a discount. How much are you willing to self-insure? If you can afford to pay $1000 or more for your deductible out of pocket that is certainly a good way to reduce auto rates. Try Liberty Mutual if it’s available in your state. I got $162 a month (with home ins. bundled discount) but I’m going with USAA because adding me and Tesla to my husband’a auto policy is only going to be $67 a month. Until last week I had a stellar driving record. Got popped doing 71 in a 55 leaving the lake. Luckily I passed the breathalyzer test…

I was going to say maybe your driving is what is wrong but you said no tickets or accidents. Bundling home/renters insurance with your auto can give you a discount. How much are you willing to self-insure? If you can afford to pay $1000 or more for your deductible out of pocket that is certainly a good way to reduce auto rates. Try Liberty Mutual if it’s available in your state. I got $162 a month (with home ins. bundled discount) but I’m going with USAA because adding me and Tesla to my husband’a auto policy is only going to be $67 a month. Until last week I had a stellar driving record. Got popped doing 71 in a 55 leaving the lake. Luckily I passed the breathalyzer test…
I think some insurers are just very scared to insure a tesla. I'll probably settle on the ones that are giving "'reasonable" rates in the low 200s. Just went to Farmers they want 300$/ month just for the comprehensive alone with a 2500$ deductible. I'll do my research into esurance and if they are an ok company I'll go with them. Sorry to hear about your incident but glad you got away relatively unscathed.

I thought the batteries were made in Nevada
Nevada makes the cylindrical 2170 lithium cells with nickel cobalt aluminum (NCA) chemistry.

CATL in China makes prismatic (rectangular) lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries.

The Standard Range uses the CATL battery packs while pretty much everything else uses the Nevada packs (q.v. 4680 batteries). If anyone is interested, there's a bit of story behind why LFP took off in China while they never went anywhere in the west. Hint: patents. That story, and the difference between the two battery chemistries is covered in the following two videos. I highly recommend the channel, The Limiting Factor.

Am I doing something wrong geico wants 615$/ month to insure the car
Look at Erie Insurance as well.

I thought Y doesn’t count as an SUV and therefore falls under the 55k limit?
I just spent half an hour trying to find the legal definition of an SUV. While there is a law, it says essentially nothing other than to observe that SUVs are considered light trucks (which are non-passenger vehicles). Other sources just observe that they are sorted into small and standard sizes by weight.

If you visit the Model Y page on the Tesla website, you won't see the word SUV there. However, if you look at the page sources, you'll see three meta tags with the wording "Model Y is a fully electric, mid-size SUV with unparalleled protection and versatile cargo space." I saw mention that Elon Musk referred to it as a "midsize SUV". Certainly everyone refers to it as an SUV.

In contrast, the Model X is clearly presented by Tesla as an SUV on the web site.

And today I learned that Ford made a Model Y in the 1930s. It was available in Europe. Probably not an SUV.

420px-Ford_8_or_Model_Y_2_door_saloon_%281937%29_-_30215576355.jpg

I'm with Erie and mine is just a little over $100 per month. We do have 4 cars, homeowners, boat, life and umbrella policies with them as well though. I guess that's helping?
Long time Erie customer here too, for auto and homeowner's insurance. Paying $825/year for my 2022 Model 3 SR+.

Erie asks how many miles per year you drive. I told them 10,000 per year (we're retired). Policy says "8,500 or greater."

Insurance rates vary greatly, of course, depending on many factors.

Reactions: cpu5h
Y’all out here livin’ on the edge, ordering cars all willy-nilly without checking out insurance prices. 🤣 I’m a cheap SOB so the 1st thing I do when I even think about wanting a car is check that insurance. Actually the 1st thing I did for this car was make sure I had a SC nearby, then I checked insurance rates, then I ordered the car.
Lol I did the same. At that time state farm was offering 220$ still kinda are and if I remember Geico was 400$. Just figured that was a good place to start. Now I'm more seriously shopping so I'm seeing what they all had to offer. I'm also in Southern NY which naturally has very dangerous drivers so insurance is always going to be higher.

Tesla is a luxury car maker by price. Anyone paying 70k for a car is expecting quality. While I agree that people may want a car for many reasons that doesn't mean the car should come damaged. Justifying those short comings does not help the business improve. Obviously I like Tesla and most likely pending a major issue I will take delivery and if needed repair it under warranty. But all I'm saying is that should not be a common issue and for the price I'm paying yes I do have a right to be reasonably picky with the quality of the car
I remember the time…. I remember the time…

When I opened the doors of a lambo and the weatherstrip fell off. Never happened on my 3 cylinder Suzuki.

The Fremont Flyover video from yesterday looked like things were really rolling. There was way more trash around the property than I’ve seen before. The quality assurance tent area was not very busy though. Based on the S and X lot being pretty full all month, it looks like they’ve been concentrating on those. A lot of M3 RWD too by their “I got a VIN!” posts. My guess is those models are all so backlogged that the LR’s are sort of getting the shaft this month.