Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, thats what ill do, just sucks that i just paid thousands for PPF (front only) and ceramic coating just for this to happen
Is PPF worth it for white paint? I'm weighing it for my own purchase, but it seems very expensive relative to the amount of protection it offers. I feel like a tube of touch up paint on a white car will very cheaply repair anything PPF could have prevented.

Is PPF worth it for white paint? I'm weighing it for my own purchase, but it seems very expensive relative to the amount of protection it offers. I feel like a tube of touch up paint on a white car will very cheaply repair anything PPF could have prevented.
It depends. We love PPF on the entire hood/front of a vehicle.

You can go with "touch up" but over time it looks "ugly" to us.

Reactions: Cho22
Looks like PPF will protect the paint... so it won't chip.. a dent can be PDR.. so PPF is worth it,..
It will provide some protection to a rock chip etc however it's not invincible its just a thin layer of plastic. If a rock or sharp comes hard enough it can certainly pierce it. Also someone opening a door or something banging into it can certainly pierce it. Once pierced that area will need to fully replaced.

It will provide some protection to a rock chip etc however it's not invincible its just a thin layer of plastic. If a rock or sharp comes hard enough it can certainly pierce it. Also someone opening a door or something banging into it can certainly pierce it. Once pierced that area will need to fully replaced.
That thin layer of plastic would have saved my paint chip though. The door wasn’t even swung that hard and the paper thin tesla paint cracked already. My opinion is, if you have the money, do it for peace of mind. My OCD and anxiety is forever grateful for PPF.

PS: I already scheduled an appt for PPF on my doors this weekend. My PPF guy will be fixing my paint chip for free as well since I’m going with him for PPF👍🏻

Reactions: cmy4x4 and ZZ118
Ppf is not going to help you with a door opening into your car. It's not armor. If anything it would have cut thru the ppf too and then you would have had to replace both which is way more time and money.
It already helped me when I opened my door in my garage and banged it on my drawer. I previously had PPF on my door jams and they are still in perfect condition after quite a few accidental wide door swings
Got his plate? horrible!!!
Nope. The cam didn’t catch the plates. Rather when they pulled in, it wasn’t clear enough to see.
I believe it’s well worth it for peace of mind. It’s already protected me from multiple rock chips on my hood. On a similar note, a huge rock flew into my windshield the other week. It most likely would have cracked, but I had 4x ceramic coating layers on my windshield, which saved it. If you look at the point of impact, you see the layers of ceramic coating that chipped off, but the glass was perfectly fine.

I drive through the desert. My phantom braking occurs from the "mirages" on the road. You know, when it looks like you've got a big puddle across the road up ahead. Also, one of the roads I frequent has a sequence of "whoop" type rolling hills. As the flat road begins to climb, the car will phantom brake because of the road angle in front of me.

View attachment 864688

UPDATE: So we are now FULLY loving our M3LR. Were there some issues (one still outstanding) but we LOVE the car!

To mention something about Phantom Braking.....we only had it occur ONCE that I can recall when there were strange shadows in the early AM. Other than that not an issue....1500 miles now on the odometer for reference.

I will say this....the car is SUPER fun and SAFE! My wife and I have been alerted a several times where the car "thought" something was wrong! Respect Tesla...hell my 2019 Truck does the same thing!

When you get the audible alerts it can be shocking the first time it happens. Most times it is because I was driving and the vehicle thought I was going to either hit/get close to another car that decided to brake immediately or make a Quick turn.

What I do like is that just this past week, while at the supermarket, I decided to back out....I "thought" everything was fine..YET a car decided to FLY into a parking spot next to us. WTF? I had cleared my "departure" from our spot using our mirrors and everything was totally clear! The Tesla alerted us and I hit the brake THANKFULLY! Both of us were a bit flustered. No harm/no foul!

We actually know the family the family that parked...it was a humorous conversation between us all! I will say this..I really feel that the software in the Tesla prevented something that could have resulted in a fender bender. This is not something unique to Tesla....I feel our other newer vehicles would have sensed it too.

OHHH as far as FUN THINGS! WE LOVE our music..... LOVE IT....however, not everyone might care...what is SUPER fun is to try and "STUMP" the voice commands to play a song. TRY IT! Waiting to get into a football game in traffic with friends I challenged them to find a song that the Tesla could not find....NOPE they couldnt to it! Try it! SUPER FUN!

UPDATE: So we are now FULLY loving our M3LR. Were there some issues (one still outstanding) but we LOVE the car!

To mention something about Phantom Braking.....we only had it occur ONCE that I can recall when there were strange shadows in the early AM. Other than that not an issue....1500 miles now on the odometer for reference.

I will say this....the car is SUPER fun and SAFE! My wife and I have been alerted a several times where the car "thought" something was wrong! Respect Tesla...hell my 2019 Truck does the same thing!

When you get the audible alerts it can be shocking the first time it happens. Most times it is because I was driving and the vehicle thought I was going to either hit/get close to another car that decided to brake immediately or make a Quick turn.

What I do like is that just this past week, while at the supermarket, I decided to back out....I "thought" everything was fine..YET a car decided to FLY into a parking spot next to us. WTF? I had cleared my "departure" from our spot using our mirrors and everything was totally clear! The Tesla alerted us and I hit the brake THANKFULLY! Both of us were a bit flustered. No harm/no foul!

We actually know the family the family that parked...it was a humorous conversation between us all! I will say this..I really feel that the software in the Tesla prevented something that could have resulted in a fender bender. This is not something unique to Tesla....I feel our other newer vehicles would have sensed it too.

OHHH as far as FUN THINGS! WE LOVE our music..... LOVE IT....however, not everyone might care...what is SUPER fun is to try and "STUMP" the voice commands to play a song. TRY IT! Waiting to get into a football game in traffic with friends I challenged them to find a song that the Tesla could not find....NOPE they couldnt to it! Try it! SUPER FUN!
What is the outstanding issue with the car?

WOW!.....We did not know this but BOTH of us can set anything at all within the car through the app! New person figuring this out but I just literally set the temp to LO......My wife will head back to the car on the way home here in a few minutes! Let's see how COLD I can make it....LOL!

This is going through the app.

We already have it set up for her to ride to work to make the car warm.....however, what is super cool is that we both can control the car remotely to have the interior temps be COMFORTABLE!

So basically, do not "try before you buy" the acceleration boost. Otherwise if you decide you can't afford the 2k after all, you'll now constantly think about what you KNOW you're missing.
This is absolutely true. I tried to drive it "normal" for the past two days coudln't do it. Bit the bullet and got the accel boost again. Car just feels right now like a little sport car.

This is absolutely true. I tried to drive it "normal" for the past two days coudln't do it. Bit the bullet and got the accel boost again. Car just feels right now like a little sport car.
Have you timed it from 0 to 60? How much do you think you shave off. I’m tempted to get it also when I get the car. I drove the RWD and loved the feel of the car. Can’t even image what this would feel like!