Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching the prices of used Model 3 AWD on Tesla website - 2019 with FSD's were over 60k in July to 40k+ now.
Suddenly all the 2018-22 Model 3 AWD's have been pulled off the Tesla site. Maybe they all sold overnight, but unlikely.
No one seems to have a VIN or delivery date for the new non-sensor AWD Model 3 cars to be delivered Nov-Dec.
I think Tesla are up to something but I can't guess what it is. Something to do with the possible 2023 $7500 tax credit? Changes to steering wheel/stalks? Anyone have any insight as to what they are doing?

Anyone have any insight as to what they are doing?
No insights, just speculation (and I'm almost always wrong).

Here's the timeline that I see to the present:

1. Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) is passed.
2. Tesla closes orders for Long Range, but leaves other orders open.
3. People start canceling orders for all vehicle types because they want to get that vehicle next year when it qualifies for the tax credit.
4. Tesla realizes that they no longer have enough orders to keep Long Range production going through Q4.
5. Tesla drops their used inventory from their web site, adds unbuilt "existing inventory" to it.
6. People who want a Long Range from Tesla have to buy one of those unbuilt "existing inventory" vehicles.

and then

7. Tesla fills out their production capacity for Q4.
8. Tesla stops listing unbuilt "existing inventory" and puts back the used inventory.
9. January 1, 2023 arrives and Tesla starts taking orders for a Model 3 Long Range that qualifies for the IRA tax credits.

I assume that the reason for shutting down Long Range orders in the first place was to ensure that they weren't on the hook for building vehicles into 2023 that weren't going to qualify for the IRA tax credits. Remember that manufacturers get credits as well, and all manufacturers really want those. Tesla is going to do something with the Long Range to make sure it qualifies once they start building them again in 2023. It might be as simple as dropping the price, taking the hit on retail margin, and making it up again via the manufacturing tax credits while overall sustaining demand because the car is now massively cheaper to buy (~$48,000 after tax credit). They may also remove some features to bring the manufacturing cost down - like the ultrasonic sensors. Perhaps the high end sound system will take a hit or be turned into an option. Time will tell. Perhaps only the most basic Long Range will make it under $55,000.

maybe the 2023 cars have new cameras too. Did they also sneak in Hardware 4.0 until they deliver new cars
there is no way of knowing. Perhaps updated suspension and removal of indicator stalks too! May we live in interestin times!

I have been watching the prices of used Model 3 AWD on Tesla website - 2019 with FSD's were over 60k in July to 40k+ now.
Suddenly all the 2018-22 Model 3 AWD's have been pulled off the Tesla site. Maybe they all sold overnight, but unlikely.
No one seems to have a VIN or delivery date for the new non-sensor AWD Model 3 cars to be delivered Nov-Dec.
I think Tesla are up to something but I can't guess what it is. Something to do with the possible 2023 $7500 tax credit? Changes to steering wheel/stalks? Anyone have any insight as to what they are doing?
Hopefully no changes to steering wheel/stalks. If they do go for steering oriented push buttons for turn signals, as some have speculated, that would almost be a deal beaker for me.

Still same for me. Feels maddening when they keep putting up “existing inventory” and hearing of people getting instant vins ordering from those.
I hear you! But even those existing inventory are Nov-Dec timeframe. I don’t think there are many LR cars coming out of the factory at the moment. Perhaps they will ramp up production on these later on.

Reactions: JB47394
damn, who did you use? i paid $945 for tint alone (windshield, back window, doors, $75 no fault warranty that the shop offered). and i have a huge bubble on the rear window (that they will be fixing) as well as clusters of small bubbles on 2 of the door windows (also getting fixed). shop has 4.9 stars and 600+ reviews on google maps, so kind of surprised by my experience.
It depends on what shop/installer does with PPF/TINT when it comes to what you get for your car. It also REALLY depends on what product you are getting.
It would take a good hit to puncture PPF. But then it all depends which brand you get as well. Xpel, Suntek, Llumar, and 3M are the best out there. But I already noticed about 6-7 rocks hit my hood/bumper and i just wiped it off with a microfiber cloth and its good as new. PPF is also self healing, so any swirls / rock "chips" from washing or highway driving will cure itself with heat.
@Cho22 CORRECT! We have been using Xpel for years and are very happy with it!

• Love
Reactions: Cho22
I called Tesla to get some indication of what might be happening. As expected, didn’t get much out of them apart from “keep checking your app for updates”.
I have a feeling that we won't hear much about this until cars start getting delivered, and then this will look like the RWD and M3P threads where cars are arriving left and right. That said, I wonder why Fremont's production for LR models is delayed behind these other versions of the M3. Given the backlog of orders for LRs, one might expect they'd handle LRs before the performance models.

That said, I wonder why Fremont's production for LR models is delayed behind these other versions of the M3.
I would assume some kind of significant production change, and that could mean additions, removals or swaps. I'm also assuming that it's not a supply chain issue because they seem to have those sorted out. At worst, they don't have enough orders to keep them busy to the end of the year so they're just not going to start up until they do (the lines are currently stopped, so starting without enough orders would mean a start, stop, start instead of just a start).

What has me stymied is that there are people who have VINs and yet Tesla hasn't shipped those cars. Are they reworking existing vehicles for some reason?

I can't find any rumors or commentary on what's going on with Long Range production.

I was wondering this myself. I saw some posts about the camera possibly being different, but some people that have 22 model years also have this “new camera”. I saw some folks take delivery on Reddit but there’s no comprehensive 22 vs 23 model year comparisons yet. Although I assume this is partially because Tesla just makes changes whenever throughout production without waiting for MY change.

The only obvious change I’ve seen so far is the smooth bumper (removal of USS).