Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never got the email, but I went in and accepted the changes the very same night it was reintroduced, and then got a conformation email about the changes. So I am guessing that is why I never got the comparison email. I am looking forward to mine, and I am starting to think Highland might not be released till next year. But hard to tell. Hopefully the battery is not a downgrade as some seem to suggest on here.
IMO, a battery with less range is a downgrade. 325 is less than 358, by roughly 10 percent.

But you are paying a good bit less than the 358-mile LR sold for before its was temporarily discontinued, so there's that.

Reactions: King David
IMO, a battery with less range is a downgrade. 325 is less than 358, by roughly 10 percent.

But you are paying a good bit less than the 358-mile LR sold for before its was temporarily discontinued, so there's that.
• The range will be 325+ (est.) compared to the original design of 358 miles (EPA est.). The range may increase after EPA testing is completed, but will be 325 miles (est.) at a minimum.
I think the actual battery rating is going to be closer to what it used to be, and this was just the absolute minimum they could guarantee it would have, specially now having read the email.

a Twitter thread seems to suggest it is LFP. Is it?
We won’t know for sure until someone has one in hand, or better yet a tear down of the battery pack.

But LFP doesn’t make numerical sense unless LFP made a quantum leap in energy density overnight. I think everyone just took the LFP rumor and ran with it as fact when it’s not.

Had someone just send me this, sounds very interesting. I don’t know how reliable he is or not but sounds promising.

Mine updated today too. I went from 5/21 - 6/25 to 5/23 - 6/20. At this point I'll be very surprised if I get it before June or even July.
Why would you be surprised? The shortening of the window definitely seems to tell me it is coming in June for sure. Mine shortened as well, and the Tweet lines up nicely with what we are seeing. I’m definitely starting to get excited. Let’s hope it doesn't all come crashing down when the first person gets their new LR.

Reactions: Diceroller
I would say it’s unlikely they’re moving the 3 to large castings and structural battery at this time since (at least currently) the structural pack is only with 4680 cells which are still energy density constrained and production constrained. Also the tax credit only being 3750 points to non-4680 cells since those are made by Tesla in the US. I don’t think other companies have started making the 4680 form factor yet.

Possibly could use large casting design to simplify manufacturing but still use current non-structural packs.

Most consumers these days prefer SUVs over sedans, except for a performance vehicle but even then performance SUVs have gotten good enough that people still just go for the SUV for extra room and versatility. It’s no question why the Y is more popular than the 3, especially with recent price cuts putting them much closer in price. A small portion will always prefer a sedan but most will pick the SUV between the two. Even with a facelift and new HW4, we probably won’t see Model 3 surpass Model Y sales again, unless it becomes significantly cheaper.

Why would you be surprised? The shortening of the window definitely seems to tell me it is coming in June for sure. Mine shortened as well, and the Tweet lines up nicely with what we are seeing. I’m definitely starting to get excited. Let’s hope it doesn't all come crashing down when the first person gets their new LR.
I guess I'm just a little cynical considering I placed my order in January 🙂. I think if all goes according to plan, I'll get mine in June. If there's some kind of hiccup or my location affects my delivery as I suspect it might (PNW), then July sounds more realistic.

Reactions: 42M3 and King David
Hi. Had originally ordered M3 RWD on 4/21/2023. I switched my order to an AWD LR model on 05/12/2023 because it became eligible to the government rebates here in Canada (12k$). Got my VIN the same day (source code "hidden") with an EDD between 06/06-06/20.

Since the VIN starts with the letters LRW, it was manufactured in China. There is a ship from China, "MORNING CAROLINE" leaving Tacoma towards Canada today. Would it be fair to assume that my car is on this ship ? There are a lot of posts about Model Y's being transported but I haven't found any regarding M3's...

Lastly, how long does it typically take for the car to travel west to east (Montreal) ? By train or trucks ?

Would it be fair to assume that my car is on this ship ?
The start of your window is in 19 days, so it's possible. Morning Caroline is anchored in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. She may sit there for another week or so, then offload at Vancouver. In the US, it takes about a week to move an auto train across the country. Then they offload the cars to carrier trucks for an up to eight hour drive. Depending on how fast the various workers are, whole days may pass as they transfer vehicles, wait for carrier trucks and so forth.

On the other hand, the end of your window is in 33 days. It takes 30-40 days for cargo to move from China to North America. If they're loading your vehicle today, it would synch up pretty well with the end of that window. Edit: ChatGPT tells me that the 30-40 days number is only the time on the water, so if they're loading today, I guess that would put the car rather beyond your window. From what I can see, there are no other ships en route from the China factory.

My best advice is this: go do something else and wait for Tesla to contact you. It'll be much more fun that way.

The start of your window is in 19 days, so it's possible. Morning Caroline is anchored in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. She may sit there for another week or so, then offload at Vancouver. In the US, it takes about a week to move an auto train across the country. Then they offload the cars to carrier trucks for an up to eight hour drive. Depending on how fast the various workers are, whole days may pass as they transfer vehicles, wait for carrier trucks and so forth.

On the other hand, the end of your window is in 33 days. It takes 30-40 days for cargo to move from China to North America. If they're loading your vehicle today, it would synch up pretty well with the end of that window. Edit: ChatGPT tells me that the 30-40 days number is only the time on the water, so if they're loading today, I guess that would put the car rather beyond your window. From what I can see, there are no other ships en route from the China factory.

My best advice is this: go do something else and wait for Tesla to contact you. It'll be much more fun that way.
There is another ship en route from China as we speak "Viking Sea" with an ETA of June 3rd in Vancouver.

I have a LR AWD on order too with an EDD of June 8-20 so it's fair to assume that the car is on this next ship and not Morning Caroline...

Wondering with all of these cars built in China being shipped to Canada, if the same thing is going to happen for those of us in the U.S. who've been waiting... might explain the 325+, but then there may be further tax credit implications?

Hoping this isn't the case...

Wondering with all of these cars built in China being shipped to Canada, if the same thing is going to happen for those of us in the U.S. who've been waiting... might explain the 325+, but then there may be further tax credit implications?

Hoping this isn't the case...
Since Tesla stated it will qualify for half the tax credit, the car can’t be built in China.

I guess I'm just a little cynical considering I placed my order in January 🙂. I think if all goes according to plan, I'll get mine in June. If there's some kind of hiccup or my location affects my delivery as I suspect it might (PNW), then July sounds more realistic.
June is end of the quarter so maybe they will try to get some LRs out to increase the quarterly numbers. Tesla does some crazy things at the end of quarters.