Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And, for the LRs being offered in Canada, they are now made in China. As a matter of principle, I would prefer North American made. But as far as quality control is concerned, there are several threads on this site indicating that the Chinese-made Teslas have at least as high quality control, if not significantly better.

The article below suggests that it perhaps could be the newest CATL LFP with manganese, but ultimately acknowledges that we have no confirmation what the battery actually is on the new version of the LR.

Tesla reintroduces Model 3 Long Range in US... with Chinese cells?
I switched from the RWD LFP to a LR. The VIN I got hidden in the source of the page is indicating being build in China with LI-Ion battery. As mentioned elsewhere, given the weight is the same as the MIC Tesla LR sold in Europe, I expect the battery to be 75 kWh.

I do not have the build date. It worries me some because I am concerned about purchasing now and future cars being updated (HW4, etc.)
I have that concern as well. Always a bit risky being the first in line for this kind of thing. But it would be pretty silly to halt production for this long, only to start it back up with anything but the latest tech etc.

Reactions: King David
I have that concern as well. Always a bit risky being the first in line for this kind of thing. But it would be pretty silly to halt production for this long, only to start it back up with anything but the latest tech etc.
That is my concern. We need to turn in our current 2019/2020 3 LR in a few weeks. I would hate to order a replacement now and find the new one is the current car minus items like close object detection because the USS was dropped and not replaced with optical or other sensors.

Reactions: Diceroller
I am taking delivery on 5/31. I also hope it is a LFP battery. I will let you know.
Wait does yours say May 31 at the earliest or you are all set to take delivery on the 31? You would be the first person I know of with a new long range set to take delivery and not just have a window.

I ordered on 5/19/23.

That is super interesting, as people who have ordered in January still haven’t gotten a solid delivery date.

Last edited:
Reactions: King David
I switched from the RWD LFP to a LR. The VIN I got hidden in the source of the page is indicating being build in China with LI-Ion battery. As mentioned elsewhere, given the weight is the same as the MIC Tesla LR sold in Europe, I expect the battery to be 75 kWh.
The Canadian LR Models are 100% china built, while the US LR has a battery made outside the US but the car is still being built in the US, otherwise it would not be eligible for the $3,750 tax credit. I would assume all the new US LR models will have HW4 as the Model Y has started shipping with it.

Reactions: Diceroller
Wait does yours say May 31 at the earliest or you are all set to take delivery on the 31? You would be the first person I know of with a new long range set to take delivery and not just have a window.

That is super interesting, as people who have ordered in January still haven’t gotten a solid delivery date.

Though I did just check and my delivery window has shrunk again. So maybe they have started setting actual delivery dates. Hopefully it is indeed HW4 as I can’t imagine they would do HW3 for just a short time, when HW4 is being shipped in the Y. But I highly doubt it will be LFP from what I’ve read.