Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Blue/Blk/18" M3LR mid-May. I am now scheduled to take possession EOF this week. it has been delivered. I have not paid the balance yet.

Now I'm having strong second thoughts after researching the Phantom Braking issue. After thinking about it: I think Elon's words about achieving a Vision-Only Self Driving car is just lip service. All I want is cruise control that works safely all the time without surprises. Not using TACC in so many situations due to PB that comes w/o warning or cause is unacceptable! Deal breaker if it is never improved.

Thinking about it more, I don't think Musk plans to follow through with perfecting "vision only". He says lot of things that don't turn out to be true. Maybe there is a reason M3 are discounted so much. There have already been posts that some domestically produced MY are already being delivered with HW4 this month and probably the higher res cameras that go along with that upgrade. So without that, I fear the basic Autopilot will never be fixed with regards to Phantom Braking issue on cars with the old hardware. Planned obsolescence?? Musk and others have said in other words, that HW4 will not be retrofitted to older vehicles. Different form factor, cameras and the HD Phoenix radar and would be too costly.

Is it possible to call a Service Rep before taking ownership of vehicle and ask about the equipment based on the assigned VIN alone? From the posts I have seen all new M3LR delivered with HW3 and LG NCA batteries.

I ordered a Blue/Blk/18" M3LR mid-May. I am now scheduled to take possession EOF this week. it has been delivered. I have not paid the balance yet.

Now I'm having strong second thoughts after researching the Phantom Braking issue. After thinking about it: I think Elon's words about achieving a Vision-Only Self Driving car is just lip service. All I want is cruise control that works safely all the time without surprises. Not using TACC in so many situations due to PB that comes w/o warning or cause is unacceptable! Deal breaker if it is never improved.

Thinking about it more, I don't think Musk plans to follow through with perfecting "vision only". He says lot of things that don't turn out to be true. Maybe there is a reason M3 are discounted so much. There have already been posts that some domestically produced MY are already being delivered with HW4 this month and probably the higher res cameras that go along with that upgrade. So without that, I fear the basic Autopilot will never be fixed with regards to Phantom Braking issue on cars with the old hardware. Planned obsolescence?? Musk and others have said in other words, that HW4 will not be retrofitted to older vehicles. Different form factor, cameras and the HD Phoenix radar and would be too costly.

Is it possible to call a Service Rep before taking ownership of vehicle and ask about the equipment based on the assigned VIN alone? From the posts I have seen all new M3LR delivered with HW3 and LG NCA batteries.
If reliable self-driving is very important to you, then I would not buy a M3LR, any other Tesla, or indeed a vehicle from any other manufacturer. Despite all the plans and promises, reliable self-driving is just not ready yet and, in my opinion, will not be ready for quite some time.

Reactions: terranx
Is it possible to call a Service Rep before taking ownership of vehicle and ask about the equipment based on the assigned VIN alone?
That's what your Service Assistant is for. You should have received a text from them after placing your order. You can reply to that text to ask any questions that you have. If you never received that text or lost track of it, you can call Tesla Support at 888-518-3752.

Note that people have asked for that information in the past, but the SAs don't always have it. It depends on how far along your order is.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpaychek
Untrue, check out Waymo
I think it was implicit that the self-driving would be on a car you would own. And before anyone gets into a debate over Waymo vs FSD here, there's already thread with spirited discussion about that.

I decided to take advantage of the inventory car discount and switched from a LR to a Performance, same color. Considering I was going to buy acceleration boost anyway, its a no brainer $810 upgrade for me :) Same delivery date, same location
Me too buddy. I'm a sellout. Still had no VIN and saw a P for $3200 off in inventory and snagged it. I pick it up Saturday. Already placed an order to swap in a set of all season 19s early next week.

I guess I don't belong in this thread anymore. Enjoy your cars everyone! Thanks for all your support during my 4-month wait. 😎

Reactions: King David
LR AWD M3
Blue Exterior
White Interior
18" Wheels

05/28/2023: Order Placed
05/31/2023: Asked if my M3 would have HW4; was advised needed to wait for the VIN before they could advise on hardware
06/05/2023: VIN received. Additional email indicating a 6/2 build date
06/06/2023: Reached out and asked if the M3 I ordered would have HW4; I received the below response:

Your vehicle will be built with the most up to date offerings on the production line at the time of build.​
We have not announced a release date for Hardware 4 on Model Y. Your order could be at risk for cancellation before Hardware 4 is widely released if you choose to wait.​
Hardware 4 is a non-configurable component. We only can control configurable options such as paint color, wheels, etc​
The order agreement does specify options, features, or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle.​

My guess is this is a scripted response. Either the rep did not realize I ordered a M3, or they just did not bother to change the MY language. My EDD is 6/16 - 6/23.

Reactions: King David
LR AWD M3
Blue Exterior
White Interior
18" Wheels

05/28/2023: Order Placed
05/31/2023: Asked if my M3 would have HW4; was advised needed to wait for the VIN before they could advise on hardware
06/05/2023: VIN received. Additional email indicating a 6/2 build date
06/06/2023: Reached out and asked if the M3 I ordered would have HW4; I received the below response:

Your vehicle will be built with the most up to date offerings on the production line at the time of build.​
We have not announced a release date for Hardware 4 on Model Y. Your order could be at risk for cancellation before Hardware 4 is widely released if you choose to wait.​
Hardware 4 is a non-configurable component. We only can control configurable options such as paint color, wheels, etc​
The order agreement does specify options, features, or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle.​

My guess is this is a scripted response. Either the rep did not realize I ordered a M3, or they just did not bother to change the MY language. My EDD is 6/16 - 6/23.

I asked the same question and have literally same answer. Looks like it’s bot, not human.

Reactions: Tazman81
I asked the same question and have literally same answer. Looks like it’s bot, not human.
I sent for a clarifying question back indicating the response they sent me was for a MY and I ordered a M3. I asked about Matrix Headlights (which I already knew the answer), and HW4 for the M3. Received this response, which I kind of figured I would.

Tesla has not yet confirmed when HW4 will be available on the Model 3. As for your headlights, these are indeed Matrix LED lights. Was there anything else we could help you with?​

I took possession of a new 2023 Blue M3LR approximately 10 days after VIN assignment on 05/31 and ordered around 05/20, but I live in CA.

So maybe there's a better thread for this : BUILD QUALITY

I spent a full 2hrs inspecting my vehicle from bumper to bumper, inside and out.

PAINT:​
  • no scratches, scuffs, or orange peel with possible exception of trim under running boards which felt textured but it may have been dirty
PANELS/GAPS:​
  • Neither headlight was flush with front fender metal - each was different and had < 5mm high or low difference; not visible to the eye
  • Front DS (driver side) Quarter panel was about 5mm higher than the DS door panel, just below the mirror - filed a service request to see if anything can be done; PS (passenger side) panels were flush.
  • Trunk Panel to Rear Glass junction was raised more moving from left to right; not visually noticeable
  • PS rear tail-light assembly was not flush with the rear quarter panel, compare to DS; not visible to the eye
INTERIOR:​
  • Rear PS door had an intermittent bug with electronic opener and functionality of rolling down window. It occurred 3X for me while being inside car and trying to get out but on different occasions of being in back seat; electronic release would not fully disengaged such that the door could not be pushed open nor further pressing of open button would release the latch - door then could only be opened from the outside. Also before this happened in one case, when rolling window down, the switch had to be held to roll it fully down (no one click lowering) while DS window worked properly, then later it was OK. The delivery reps could not duplicate these bugs. I will file service request after I see if I can duplicate the issue further.
GLASS DEFECTS:​
  • Spotted only before going into accept the vehicle: the rear overhead glass panel had a chip on the DS edge. I noticed this when running my finger between the glass and moulding. This was a FIX or REJECT defect. The sales handler agreed, and assured me the glass could be replaced. He worked me through submitting a Service Request to replace the glass. The service request gives an estimate and asks for a payment method. I was verbally assured this was always done, whether it was a warranty fix or not. This was a pre-delivery defect. His manager sent me a text message so that I could contact him should the service center give me any flack and they took pictures too.
ELECTRONICS ISSUES:​
  • Show Blind Spot Cam when signaling was turned on but did not work on drive home. That will require further investigation.

Just got my VIN! First time Tesla buyer!
Ordered 5/8/2023
Got my VIN 5/31/2023
Estimated delivery date range June 12th - 19th
Blue M3 LR AWD
Picked up the car today! No issues whatsoever!

Attachments

• IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    839.4 KB · Views: 142
I took possession of a new 2023 Blue M3LR approximately 10 days after VIN assignment on 05/31 and ordered around 05/20, but I live in CA.

So maybe there's a better thread for this : BUILD QUALITY

I spent a full 2hrs inspecting my vehicle from bumper to bumper, inside and out.

PAINT:​
  • no scratches, scuffs, or orange peel with possible exception of trim under running boards which felt textured but it may have been dirty
PANELS/GAPS:​
  • Neither headlight was flush with front fender metal - each was different and had < 5mm high or low difference; not visible to the eye
  • Front DS (driver side) Quarter panel was about 5mm higher than the DS door panel, just below the mirror - filed a service request to see if anything can be done; PS (passenger side) panels were flush.
  • Trunk Panel to Rear Glass junction was raised more moving from left to right; not visually noticeable
  • PS rear tail-light assembly was not flush with the rear quarter panel, compare to DS; not visible to the eye
INTERIOR:​
  • Rear PS door had an intermittent bug with electronic opener and functionality of rolling down window. It occurred 3X for me while being inside car and trying to get out but on different occasions of being in back seat; electronic release would not fully disengaged such that the door could not be pushed open nor further pressing of open button would release the latch - door then could only be opened from the outside. Also before this happened in one case, when rolling window down, the switch had to be held to roll it fully down (no one click lowering) while DS window worked properly, then later it was OK. The delivery reps could not duplicate these bugs. I will file service request after I see if I can duplicate the issue further.
GLASS DEFECTS:​
  • Spotted only before going into accept the vehicle: the rear overhead glass panel had a chip on the DS edge. I noticed this when running my finger between the glass and moulding. This was a FIX or REJECT defect. The sales handler agreed, and assured me the glass could be replaced. He worked me through submitting a Service Request to replace the glass. The service request gives an estimate and asks for a payment method. I was verbally assured this was always done, whether it was a warranty fix or not. This was a pre-delivery defect. His manager sent me a text message so that I could contact him should the service center give me any flack and they took pictures too.
ELECTRONICS ISSUES:​
  • Show Blind Spot Cam when signaling was turned on but did not work on drive home. That will require further investigation.
Follow up:
1. Took M3LR into service center yesterday and the door-front quarter panel misalignment was fixed
2. They scheduled mobile service unit to come and replace the overhead glass
3. They said file any other misalignments in a service ticket ASAP. If they are outside required tolerance spec they will adjust them
4. My Turn Signal Blind Spot Camera function does work. I was just not pressing all the way down on the stalk, or I had the camera view open, in which case it does not pop-up an new window

New Problem:
1. I go to drive the car this morning and my named-profile has completely disappeared. That bothers me a little bit. Should I expect bugs in the software build like this to pop up frequently?

Follow up:
1. Took M3LR into service center yesterday and the door-front quarter panel misalignment was fixed
2. They scheduled mobile service unit to come and replace the overhead glass
3. They said file any other misalignments in a service ticket ASAP. If they are outside required tolerance spec they will adjust them
4. My Turn Signal Blind Spot Camera function does work. I was just not pressing all the way down on the stalk, or I had the camera view open, in which case it does not pop-up an new window

New Problem:
1. I go to drive the car this morning and my named-profile has completely disappeared. That bothers me a little bit. Should I expect bugs in the software build like this to pop up frequently?
Was the profile showing Easy Entry? If you have Easy Entry enabled then your profile won’t take effect until you put the car in gear.

Was the profile showing Easy Entry? If you have Easy Entry enabled then your profile won’t take effect until you put the car in gear.
Yes it only had Easy Entry at the top of the list. I had configured Easy Entry differently from my named profile. The only big difference is steering wheel position. I did take my car in to service center yesterday, and I don't know for certain when my named-profile disappeared. I did notice this morning though that my steering wheel was not where I wanted it, and then trying to select my profile in the list, it was not to be found, and I then created it again from scratch.